5 Posts

Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon» Forums » General

Subject: Echoes of the Past during first play through rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Deweerd
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoes of the Past addon was just mentioned in the most recent update and it looks really cool!

My concern is this line:
"Please keep in mind that it is an advanced addition that requires some knowledge of the game and is best suited for your second or even third playthrough of the campaigns!"

I can almost guarantee that even if the game is fantastic I won't wind up playing through it a 2nd or 3rd time. So many games, so little time and all that.

I love the idea in theory but my question is whether its a worthwhile addon for the first play through? Looking at the revealed Beor card it certainly looks like all the achievements are doable although there are two there which require certain cards to be gained. Is this the reason why it should be on later playthrough? Because otherwise we will have to go out of our way to find them? I certainly don't mind if the other memories have story that hint towards where to find these trickier memories though.

I think I'd be satisfied if 2/4 characters wound up getting all their objectives during the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kamiidude wrote:
Echoes of the Past addon was just mentioned in the most recent update and it looks really cool!

My concern is this line:
"Please keep in mind that it is an advanced addition that requires some knowledge of the game and is best suited for your second or even third playthrough of the campaigns!"

I can almost guarantee that even if the game is fantastic I won't wind up playing through it a 2nd or 3rd time. So many games, so little time and all that.

I love the idea in theory but my question is whether its a worthwhile addon for the first play through? Looking at the revealed Beor card it certainly looks like all the achievements are doable although there are two there which require certain cards to be gained. Is this the reason why it should be on later playthrough? Because otherwise we will have to go out of our way to find them? I certainly don't mind if the other memories have story that hint towards where to find these trickier memories though.

See the discussion on this here: Echoes of the past expansion, worth buying? Who is going to replay a 100+ hours campaign?

Looking at the Beor card, you may also notice that it tells you to check out certain location cards. This may decrease the sense of discovery for you during your first playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I said the same thing about not playing Gloomhaven through a second time, but the group enjoyed it so much we restarted immediately after finishing it. So, if TG is as good as I think it will be, I can see my group doing multiple play through's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Deweerd
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:

Thanks for the link. Should have skimmed the other forums first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat O'Donnell
msg tools
mbmbmb
One of my concerns is the need for the 'Legendary Action' cards. I feel like once I beat the game once "or twice?!" I will not be in the position where I would need these cards.

Unless the game comes with a 'hard mode' difficulty, I would expect that I would be a master of combat by my second playthrough.

I hope this expansion gets a re-work. It is a great idea, but I think it needs to play nicely with a first playthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.