Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I remember seeing this one, but not sure if I am remembering correctly. Has anyone tried it?

Curse is discarded on a pure rolled success (clues cannot modify).
Blessing is discarded on a pure rolled failure (clues cannot modify).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfpack48 wrote:
I thought I remember seeing this one, but not sure if I am remembering correctly. Has anyone tried it?

Curse is discarded on a pure rolled success (clues cannot modify).
Blessing is discarded on a pure rolled failure (clues cannot modify).

What does "pure" mean in this context?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to remember, I just saw it in passing in some thread, but it may have meant that just the initially rolled dice without any clues to add dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Pure" is obviously defined by the parenthetical phrase "clues cannot modify".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you have a Blessing, and you fail any skill check before clues are used...you lose the Blessing? Harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
So if you have a Blessing, and you fail any skill check before clues are used...you lose the Blessing? Harsh.

Yeah, it might be. I'm thinking it was supposed to replace the 1 in 6 chance of losing a Blessing or Curse on Upkeep, and in effect I think both Curses and Blessings would be much more short-lived in general.

The thing that's different is that multiple dice can determine the outcome. So that's 1 in 6 per die per skill check to lose a Curse, and 3 in 6 per die per skill check to prevent loss of a Blessing. Only one success would avert the loss of a Blessing, and only one success would remove a Curse.

Anyone really good with statistics? What would be the chance of success/failure on a skill check with 10 cursed/blessed dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay did a little math on a roll of 4 dice -- please check if you know statistics better than I do (a very good chance!)

Cursed (1 in 6 for success):
1 - (5 to the 4th power / 6 to the 4th power) = 671 / 1296 or 51.77% chance of one success

Blessed (3 in 6 for success):
1 - (3 to the 4th power / 6 to the 4th power) = 1215 / 1296 or 93.75% chance of one success

So, if I am correct (maybe!!), a 51.77% chance to lose a Curse on 4 dice skill check, and a 93.75% to keep a Blessing on 4 dice skill check. That means a better chance of keeping your Blessing and a decent chance of losing your Curse. Sounds like it would make the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If only encounters were nice enough to let you roll four dice so often!! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for practice, I did the full spread up to 7 dice. The threat to Blessed status would be highest at low numbers of dice, and a decent chance of removing a Curse if you got 3+ dice to roll.

1 Die
Cursed = 16.67%
Blessed = 50%

2 Dice
Cursed = 30.56%
Blessed = 75%

3 Dice
Cursed = 42.13%
Blessed = 87.5%

4 Dice
Cursed = 51.77%
Blessed = 93.75%

5 Dice
Cursed = 59.81%
Blessed = 96.88%

6 Dice
Cursed = 66.51%
Blessed = 98.44%

7 Dice
Cursed = 72.09%
Blessed = 99.22%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You never lose your blessing from failing a skill check, nor do you get rid of a curse when succeding a skill check. This is determined in the upkeep face, as the card says.

With reservation that I have misunderstood your discussion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a variant based on how Blessings and Curses work in Arkham Horror 3rd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
This is a variant based on how Blessings and Curses work in Arkham Horror 3rd edition.

Ah, I was trying to remember if this was a variant someone proposed or something I saw in the 3e rule threads. Thanks @ BitJam! Any background or experience with this approach in 3e? Do you keep the Bless/Curse a full turn before the success/failure chance goes into effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfpack48 wrote:
Ah, I was trying to remember if this was a variant someone proposed or something I saw in the 3e rule threads. Thanks @ BitJam!
You are most welcome!

Quote:
Any background or experience with this approach in 3e? Do you keep the Bless/Curse a full turn before the success/failure chance goes into effect?

I only know what I've seen in video playthroughs. AFAIK there is no delay so as soon as you fail a test with Blessed or pass a test with Cursed, the card goes away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee t
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I've been watching you too, I promise not to keep you long, I'll keep you forever.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me say.......I am so jealous of WolfPack's Lovecraft Game collection!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.