1 , 2  Next »   | 

KeyForge: Call of the Archons» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone else having a really hard time enjoying Mars? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I went from liking all houses to feeling like I hate Mars. I feel like I never get to do anything with them. All the cards are only good if you have other ready mars creatures or have mars cards in hand. Smyth never lasts more than 1 turn it feels like. And if you don’t have a taunt out for your little guys then good luck.

Mars is too reliant on itself and it’s very frustrating. They always seem so useless the way I draw them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Hansen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used to feel this way but now I really enjoy Mars! However, I do think Mars generally requires more planning than other houses (and a bit of luck in terms of drawing in the right order), but it's fun to be able to run out a bunch of different threats at once and force a difficult board state / puzzle onto your opponent.

Some houses let you play 1 or 2 card hands with that house and still make progress but it feels like Mars demands 4+ card turns where you can really invade the board and get setup.

Do you have any Mars decks you'd like to share? Perhaps we could help you think of new ways to approach those decks / loose gameplans to make the Mars in them work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:
I went from liking all houses to feeling like I hate Mars. I feel like I never get to do anything with them.

This can happen with any house in any particular deck. If your weak house is Mars in your Mars decks, you'll feel the whole house is like this. Shadow is loaded with small creatures, they die quick. Shadow has those great Play: steal x, but if there is nothing to steal. Brobnar is great at fighting, but if your opponent is a creature light deck, then screw it. I feel Logos suffers from similar problems: what good is drawing a card early, if I can't play it? My buddy had two Hallowed Blasters out, and no creatures that needed healing. Even Dis, that has great cards, if they come up wrong-- Arise during your first draw. Gateway to Dis in your starting hand.

I think it's a matter of bias perception, but Mars does have more of a gambling feel-- it can really open a can of whoop butt, or it can leave you wondering where all the Mars reinforcements are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Petersen
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoy Mars, the only exception is if my favorite cards are at the bottom of the deck.
Brain Stem Antenna (Upgrade that activates creature and makes it "Mars", after playing a Mars creature) is probably in my top 3 Mars cards, especially if you can pair it with a great non-Mars creature. Noddy the Thief is great with it, Bat Drone is great with it (or really anything with Skirmish, but the steal is nice here). I have put it on "John Smyth" to great effect, especially with a Crystal Hive active.
Sample Collection is also excellent, as you can archive your opponent's big scary creature just by playing a card (or two creatures if they have two keys forged).

Every single one of my decks has Mars in it, so perhaps it is simply repetition that will get more Mars-love out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
SnackeyG2 wrote:
I went from liking all houses to feeling like I hate Mars. I feel like I never get to do anything with them.

This can happen with any house in any particular deck. If your weak house is Mars in your Mars decks, you'll feel the whole house is like this. Shadow is loaded with small creatures, they die quick. Shadow has those great Play: steal x, but if there is nothing to steal. Brobnar is great at fighting, but if your opponent is a creature light deck, then screw it. I feel Logos suffers from similar problems: what good is drawing a card early, if I can't play it? My buddy had two Hallowed Blasters out, and no creatures that needed healing. Even Dis, that has great cards, if they come up wrong-- Arise during your first draw. Gateway to Dis in your starting hand.

I think it's a matter of bias perception, but Mars does have more of a gambling feel-- it can really open a can of whoop butt, or it can leave you wondering where all the Mars reinforcements are.

Kind of doubting all 5 are bad. Here’s one of them. https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/3a9e7768-e0e1-48a1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BurnsideBH wrote:
I used to feel this way but now I really enjoy Mars! However, I do think Mars generally requires more planning than other houses (and a bit of luck in terms of drawing in the right order), but it's fun to be able to run out a bunch of different threats at once and force a difficult board state / puzzle onto your opponent.

Some houses let you play 1 or 2 card hands with that house and still make progress but it feels like Mars demands 4+ card turns where you can really invade the board and get setup.

Do you have any Mars decks you'd like to share? Perhaps we could help you think of new ways to approach those decks / loose gameplans to make the Mars in them work better.

Here’s all 5.

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/3a9e7768-e0e1-48a1...

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/c37f09bd-ce32-4f6d...

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/84c4f6f6-2323-4a58...

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/af25d48a-e0ac-4ffd...

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/8a02c3cb-dbb2-4f5d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:
SaintHax wrote:
SnackeyG2 wrote:

Kind of doubting all 5 are bad. Here’s one of them. https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/3a9e7768-e0e1-48a1...

The Mars in that deck is pretty good. The effects aren’t detrimental to the non-Mars cards in the deck.

I haven’t played through all of my decks that have Mars yet, but in general, it seems like Mars has the greatest potential to shit all over the other houses in your own deck. That’s my experience so far, but I can conceive of some Mars builds that are great additions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Hansen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ohh the second deck seems really neat "The Thing that Brutally Regifts Squashing." A lot of them look pretty cool overall (that triple Miasma deck?!) but I think the Mars is particular synergistic with Brobnar in Brutally Regifts in a way that looks really fun.

Total Recall is essentially a mass heal for your big body Brobnar's that gets you aember and enables more value out of Bumpsy, Ganger, Earthsaker, and helps save Tireless Crocag. This on top of drummer seems really good as well.

Mothergun and Orbital Bombardment + Total Recall is really nice as well. Jammer Pack on a flank Troll sounds tremendously annoying for an opponent to deal with outside of mass destruction actions.

Early Thinkdrone seems decent as well given that it synergizes with Knowledge is Power pretty nicely. I'd have to play it to be sure but starting out I think I'd look for strong early Brobnar hand and then interspersing Logos while trying to build towards a strong Mars lategame.

Blypyp + Zorg and Dominator is really nice too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob s
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:
BurnsideBH wrote:

Here’s all 5.

I would be very interested in purchasing your first deck: Dherizkolvi, Spawn of Ziltzorn if you do not want it. That's a lot of Mars creatures and a lot of possible combos between houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:
I went from liking all houses to feeling like I hate Mars. I feel like I never get to do anything with them. All the cards are only good if you have other ready mars creatures or have mars cards in hand. Smyth never lasts more than 1 turn it feels like. And if you don’t have a taunt out for your little guys then good luck.

Mars is too reliant on itself and it’s very frustrating. They always seem so useless the way I draw them.

Mars was voted, "mostly likely to have anti-synergies" in high school. But when you do get a good set of Mars cards, they are awesome. I have a few Mars decks where they really shine and win me games. I have others where I use them as decoys while my other houses build up and do the real work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Judnick
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
6 of my 8 decks have Mars. I feel your pain. They are usually very squishy, but require massive board state and many out and/or ready for full potential. If you get a Mars suite without any Taunt support, other house support, or a handful of squaker/soft landing to put things out ready, your only hope is to put out so many creatures at once that your opponent can't deal with them all at once.

I will say I have steamrolled games in less than 15 minutes when I get an incredible Mars opening draw followed by drawing into more Mars cards.

If I'm just slowly putting out one or two creatures at a time, it's really easy for my opponent to clear my board every turn.

If you are familiar with Mario Kart, I liken Mars to "Bowser": A very slow start, and any little disturbance stalls you to a standstill, but if you are left alone for awhile you are untouchable (save the massive board clears)

I also think Mars is easy to play against and counter, because you counter them like any other "wall of dudes that can smash into other walls of dudes" card game; It's just very intuitive to want to squash every Mars creature as soon as they come out, and if you do that, Mars usually isn't difficult to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RandT wrote:
SnackeyG2 wrote:
BurnsideBH wrote:

Here’s all 5.

I would be very interested in purchasing your first deck: Dherizkolvi, Spawn of Ziltzorn if you do not want it. That's a lot of Mars creatures and a lot of possible combos between houses.

Nah, I’m keeping all my decks. Good or bad. As for that one, I just need to learn mars strats or something because man I suck with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:

This looks like an opportunity to try some new decks at Crucible online. Mind if I take them for a spin and report back?

I enjoy Mars quite a bit. I agree that they're a bit more complex than the other houses. But they offer some fun gameplay that, especially if unhindered, can be very powerful. I find that Mars creatures are generally a high-priority threat once 3 or more are on the board. That can be used to your advantage. Your opponent will have to address the threat. And if he/she doesn't, then it's their funeral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob s
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:

Nah, I’m keeping all my decks. Good or bad. As for that one, I just need to learn mars strats or something because man I suck with them.

I'm possibly not telling you anything you don't already know, but you'll want to use Squawker or Soft Landing to plop down Mars creatures onto the board ready to act. Mars creatures can have huge combos from the actions on them. Play Soft Landing->John Smyth->Uylq Megamouth->(non-Mars Creature) and you just got a lot of bang for your buck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
RandT wrote:
Play Soft Landing->John Smyth->Uylq Megamouth->(non-Mars Creature) and you just got a lot of bang for your buck.

Even better if you have 2x Soft Landing or 1 and a Squawker. Either way, this↑ is a common example of a great Mars play. If both of these↑ two creatures are on the table with any other friendly creatures, your opponent is going to wish they weren't:
Reap with Ulyq +1 ae & use another friendly creature (for whatever effect)
Reap with John +1 ae & ready Ulyq
Reap with Ulyq +1 ae & use another friendly creature (for whatever effect)

Just these 2 Mars creatures + any 2 other creatures = +5 aember in a turn an/or a minimum of +3 aember with other desirable effects. It's no wonder players don't let them stick around for long. But threatening turns like this is part of their strengths.

A lot of Mars creatures are pretty squishy, and easy targets for a lot of cards (Poison Wave, Twin Bolt Emissions, etc.). Do any of your decks have Mating Season in them? If I get a turn to use my Mars creatures like the on described above, and have Mating Season in hand as well, I don't hesitate to play it after exhausting them all--especially when my deck is nearly drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
SnackeyG2 wrote:

This looks like an opportunity to try some new decks at Crucible online. Mind if I take them for a spin and report back?

I enjoy Mars quite a bit. I agree that they're a bit more complex than the other houses. But they offer some fun gameplay that, especially if unhindered, can be very powerful. I find that Mars creatures are generally a high-priority threat once 3 or more are on the board. That can be used to your advantage. Your opponent will have to address the threat. And if he/she doesn't, then it's their funeral.

I don’t care. I can’t use crucible, because I only have my phone, so I’d appreciate some reports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
I think mars has the biggest learning curve when it comes to learning how to play them.

I’d say Dis and untamed are the easiest to get a good understanding of how they work.

Logos is probably about intermediate along with shadows.

And Brobnar and sacrum are pretty straightforward since they have very simple creatures and effects.

At least in my experience, this is how I see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Dis and Shadows easiest. Then Sanctum and Untamed. Logos has some pretty tricky cards. Brobnar is hard for me, because I have a natural inclination against fighting. It's probably easy for most CCG/LCG players. Mars can be easy, but more often is tricky, depending on exactly which cards are in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must sheepishly admit that my resistance to enjoying/using Mars was due to the names of the creatures.

The names found no purchase in the barren soil of my brain. I couldn't remember the card names, and couldn't remember which cards did what, which in turn made it annoying to need to evaluate a deck list because I constantly had to look up what the cards did. When evaluating the Mars house in a deck, it was less mental effort to just skip the whole thing and do some rough estimate of "lots of Mars creatures", "lots of Mars actions", "Key Abduction", "No Key Abuduction", etc. I was never spotting combos because I was mentally lazy.

Once I finally got the card names down, Mars ceased being annoying to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn van Dessel
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a great Mars deck which really changed my vies on how good or bad they are : https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/230c8f01-22da-443f...

Two soft landings, two squawkers, 3 john smyths and 1 ulyq. Add to that an yxili marauder, a tunk and a yxilx dominator and you have an insane Mars deck..

The deck also happens to have the 4 horsemen in there as well. Let's just say that I quite like that deck ^^ more so for the synergetic Mars house than the 4 horsemen really

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Jobe
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
Complaint about a dead Norwegian Blue parrot !
mbmbmbmbmb
Double Cleansing Waves and double Hunting Witches are not too bad either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewgr wrote:
I must sheepishly admit that my resistance to enjoying/using Mars was due to the names of the creatures.

The names found no purchase in the barren soil of my brain. I couldn't remember the card names, and couldn't remember which cards did what, which in turn made it annoying to need to evaluate a deck list because I constantly had to look up what the cards did. When evaluating the Mars house in a deck, it was less mental effort to just skip the whole thing and do some rough estimate of "lots of Mars creatures", "lots of Mars actions", "Key Abduction", "No Key Abuduction", etc. I was never spotting combos because I was mentally lazy.

Once I finally got the card names down, Mars ceased being annoying to me.

See, for me the Mars names are fine, but I have the damnedest time remembering the difference between Bumpsy and Krump, or Shaffles, Shooler, and Snudge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Kelso
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some of the mars creatures are hard for me to distinguish. The mars art is great.

I have a mars deck that works super well. Double battle fleets, orbital bombardment, mothergun, double ammonia clouds. That pretty much kills everything ever. Then key abduction after all that. I had one turn where I drew 13 cards with battle fleets. That was fun.

Another mars deck I have seems terrible. So like most houses. They can be hit or miss depending on the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first Mars deck was a huge disappointment. I was in the finals of the prerelease event at my FLGS, and I lost to a really solid Martian combo deck. I really wanted to seek out and learn Mars.

My first Mars deck had 2 creatures in it. I can tell you this is pretty much a no go for Mars. One third of the Mars cards refer to Mars creatures, and if you only have 2, you're going to hate the House.

I've since picked up a couple of really solid Mars decks, and I've learned a great deal more about the House. Many Martian actions are meant to be played before you have Martians on the board. The thematic idea for me is attack with your big guns first, and then march in with the troops and ray guns.

Mars has one of the best answers to Artifact heavy decks, EMP Blast. It is reliable, destroys all artifacts, and gives you the opportunity to purge them the next turn if you happen to have a Creeping Oblivion from House Dis.

The house has Ammonia Cloud, an underrated board wipe/combo piece that can kill the little guys on the opposing side or damage a bunch of big guys and, in combo with Martian Hounds, potentially create something like a 20+ power creature.

There are major synergies with Ammonia Cloud in Mars, but also in Sanctum and Shadows. To a lesser degree with Untamed, but even less so with Logos, Dis, and Brobnar.

But when it comes down to it, you probably want at least 4 or 5 creatures. Ideally it will have a few of the following cards: Commpod, Mothergun, Amonia Cloud/Martian Hounds, and EMP Blast. There are many other great cards to be found as well, that make the Martian experience really interesting.

Don't get me wrong, Mars can be a huge turn off, but it you give the opportunity to do its own thing, it can be a powerful and fun House to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mars decks seem amazingly susceptible to what cards they contain - and what order they come out in. They also seem slower than other Houses as a result. Some Mars decks, if everything falls right, are unstoppable; the same deck, with a different shuffle, tanks. As far as I can tell, it's a House that increases the luck factor of the outcome somewhat.

But maybe I'm bitter, having two Mars decks with consistent losing records, where the odd wins have come from things going just right, and the losses leaving me with the impression that there was little I could have done to realistically play things any differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.