Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"If you think they would have called the police on a white man, you’re lying to yourself. If you think they do this to every customer, you are crazy. Huntington Bank tried it for $1,082. I hope McCown goes back, opens an account, and deposits all of his money into a mutual market fund... in unwrapped pennies."

That's right, his annual salary would have been roughly $55,000 per year if it was a weekly paycheck and under $30,000 a year if it was a biweekly paycheck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It was for 3 weeks work. I guess they were surprised it was an actual paycheck, not social security. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the bank should fire the employees involved in this incident.
At the point where the police arrested him and handcuffed him there was a risk he would be killed.

For trying to cash his paycheck at the bank it was drawn on. While black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I smell a nice lawsuit he could win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Någonsson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

I smell a nice lawsuit he could win.

If he has the money, time and circumstances to pursue it. Which is a fairly big if.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This story made absolutely NO sense to me. I only bank where I already have an account. Did he not have an account, but the check was through an account at that bank?

Even so, the bank should be able to verify the check and signature back to the original account.

It did seem like blatant discrimination to call the police.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
If my math (read this site I found on google) is right, that's about $15/hr after taxes, presuming it was a 2 week check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
If my math (read this site I found on google) is right, that's about $15/hr after taxes, presuming it was a 2 week check.

I think the article said it covered three weeks' work for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No racism or bigotry displayed here, nope, Nope, NOPE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, still bad but from a CNN article.
Quote:

According to the police statement, the bank branch has had more than 10 arrests for fraudulent checks since July 18, and a bank representative told WOIO that was why the tellers were being "hyper-vigilant."

And:
Quote:
McCowns doesn't bank with Huntington and its staff was not able to reach his employer at first

Quote:

"I have a customer here -- he's not our customer, actually. He's trying to cash a check and the check is fraudulent. It does not match our records," a bank employee says on a recording of the 911 call obtained by CNN.

Assuming he had just been issued the paycheck, and that the bank gets an upload of the payroll from the company it could be fair that they suspected the check was fraudulent.

I also would find it odd that someone would be cashing a $1,000 check. but I don't work in banking so don't know how unusual that is.

Most of my companies payroll is direct deposited as seems to be the norm.

While he was detained he was not arrested. I don't understand why he was handcuffed.

I would like to know more about this before I consider it racist.
It should not have happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Quote:

According to the police statement, the bank branch has had more than 10 arrests for fraudulent checks since July 18, and a bank representative told WOIO that was why the tellers were being "hyper-vigilant."

And:
Quote:
McCowns doesn't bank with Huntington and its staff was not able to reach his employer at first

Quote:

"I have a customer here -- he's not our customer, actually. He's trying to cash a check and the check is fraudulent. It does not match our records," a bank employee says on a recording of the 911 call obtained by CNN.

Assuming he had just been issued the paycheck, and that the bank gets an upload of the payroll from the company it could be fair that they suspected the check was fraudulent.

I also would find it odd that someone would be cashing a $1,000 check. but I don't work in banking so don't know how unusual that is.

Most of my companies payroll is direct deposited as seems to be the norm.

While he was detained he was not arrested. I don't understand why he was handcuffed.

I would like to know more about this before I consider it racist.
It should not have happened.

From that quote the bank provided false information to the police and should be fined. The check was not fraudulent. They *suspected* it was fraudulent. The bank set the police up with a false level of criminal intent to start their encounter. This puts the police on edge and puts both the police and the citizen being confronted at increased risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
costguy wrote:
Quote:

And:
Quote:

Quote:

When I was finding my feet after dropping out of college in 1990, I would run on cash fairly often. I paid the roommate whose name was on the lease and bills in cash, and there was little else that required checks in my life. That lifestyle was common among my friends and coworkers. I was poor, white, and undereducated, but I never had an issue doing this. They are legally required to honor checks drawn on their bank.

That was 28 years ago when debit cards weren't the norm. I still feel safe in saying it's more common than people might think among the working poor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Debit cards are a huge trap for the working poor - they can't just force 'overdraft protection' on you anymore, but they can sure as hell sell it hard.

You get in way over your head once with surprise overdraft fees (that they just keep adding to your negative balance) and you never want to deal with a bank ever again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK so apparently 17 Million in the US are unbanked.
Even more are underbanked. It's understandably worse in poorer communities. Fascinating that many choose to be unbanked for various reasons.

Still saying it was a bad result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R
United States
Philadelphia (Roxborough)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This infuriates me. I was a teller for years, if you suspect a bad check, you:

1) ask for ID. This guy provided
2) Verify the check is drawn from your bank. It was
3) Verify the account has the funds, and there are no holds or notes or any other shenanigans with the account to arouse suspicions. Everything was fine
4) If you're still REALLY NOT SURE then sure, you can call the account holder. They did, he didn't answer, which is typical because how often do you answer when a bank calls you?

At that point, there is nothing to arouse your suspicion except you haven't verified with the account holder. A "hey sorry but I can't cash this at this time, I'm waiting for a verification from the account holder, but here keep the check and we'll keep trying. You can either wait or come back tomorrow" is the only appropriate thing to do and there would need to be exceptional circumstances. There is no reason to call the cops unless you have proof of fraud, and FYI if they are trying to pass a bad check, then the moment you "go to the back for a second" they'll be out the door. This has happened to me, but I was alerted by a note in the account.

As far as the cash economy, cash is king, particularly within certain defined industries and certain populations. Cash comes in on Monday, cash goes out on Wednesday (Social Security) and Friday (Payday). On those three days I was busy from open to close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
They acted dumb and racist. They should probably be fired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Am I the only one who thinks that the system of using pay checks is outdate, wasteful and inefficient? Why don’t you guys in the States just have bank accounts, and have tour salary transmitted to those, just like normal countries?

(In other words, the Dutch banking sector, especially the part that deals with all sorts of payment transactions, is highly efficient and very modern, but we are so accustomed to it that it takes this sort of story to realise it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Even more are underbanked. It's understandably worse in poorer communities. Fascinating that many choose to be unbanked for various reasons.

I find it utterly ridiculous, until I read about the criminal overdraft practices that A,erican banks use (The USA is the only country I ever heard of that does this) and I can understand why a person wants nothing to do with these institutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam E
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Whymme wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that the system of using pay checks is outdate, wasteful and inefficient? Why don’t you guys in the States just have bank accounts, and have tour salary transmitted to those, just like normal countries?

(In other words, the Dutch banking sector, especially the part that deals with all sorts of payment transactions, is highly efficient and very modern, but we are so accustomed to it that it takes this sort of story to realise it)

Most use direct deposit. Some, especially among the working poor, avoid banks because of experience with excessive fees or general distrust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alferd Packer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Berinor wrote:
Whymme wrote:

Most use direct deposit. Some, especially among the working poor, avoid banks because of experience with excessive fees or general distrust.

Or because banks require a certain minimum to even open an account or require that the account maintain a certain balance in order to not generate outrageous fees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
AlferdPacker wrote:
Berinor wrote:
Whymme wrote:

Or because banks require a certain minimum to even open an account or require that the account maintain a certain balance in order to not generate outrageous fees.

Which IMHO is not efficient or modern. But thanks for explaining, and let's try to end the derailment I caused a couple of posts above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:

Yeah I would say most of us do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:

Choose? If the US is anything like the UK there will be many people that the banks decline to take as customers for various reasons, most of which boil down to that they aren't profitable enough. In other cases hurdles that impede people opening accounts are left in place if they have a similar effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
costguy wrote:

I find it utterly ridiculous, until I read about the criminal overdraft practices that A,erican banks use (The USA is the only country I ever heard of that does this) and I can understand why a person wants nothing to do with these institutions.

I don't know about criminal, but UK banks are bad. (Though I haven't heard of cases as bad as I think it was Wells Fargo.) Go overdrawn more than agreed and big charge. Then it can snowball from there with charges due to charges. I think that just this week there was a move to limit what they can do, which will be too little too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.