Subject: Painting-Should I use 2 coats of varnish? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Johnson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is an odd question, but it’s been bothering me a bit. I’ve been using the Sorastro painting tutorials, and I’m currently on the Imperial Officers. I was just wondering if I should spray them with two coats of Testors Dullcoat rather than one, in case that may protect the miniature better, or if it would effect the look of the miniature negatively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can spray a light enough coat then spray one, let it flash off for 10-15 mins and then spray a slightly heavier second coat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
I spray all my miniatures, Imperial Assault and other metal ones, with two thin coats of Testors Dullcote.

I've been doing it for years and I've had no problems with damage to the miniature or affecting the look of it (other than it looking shiny for the first few minutes when drying).
It does a great job protecting them too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Johnson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, I will probably spray them with two thin coats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Should" you? No. On plastic minis, any decent brand of acrylics that's fully cured is not going to chip easily - I've had mine since the game came out, stored in plastic Plano and occasionally dropped by clumsy friends, and there's zero sign of wear on any of them.

So if zero varnish is generally necessary, two coats of varnish is similarly unnecessary.

But on the flip side, no, if they're thin coats you won't see any negative side effects from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
ATT_Turan wrote:
"Should" you? No. On plastic minis, any decent brand of acrylics that's fully cured is not going to chip easily - I've had mine since the game came out, stored in plastic Plano and occasionally dropped by clumsy friends, and there's zero sign of wear on any of them.

I respectfully disagree. I've used many different manufacturers paints over the years, acrylic and oil based, and seen the work of friends using a wider array of materials.

Whilst I'd agree that plastic minis impart less impact when they fall and chip less, all acrylic paint still marks quite easily until covered. Oil-based paints are a bit better.

I tested the varnish question a few years back - I painted some old sprue, left some unvarnished and varnished some with one and two layers of dullcote. The unvarnished sprue rucked up with a gentle fingernail scratch but the varnished took a lot more work - I'll admit that two coats didn't seem to make much more difference than one coat but I continue to use two thin coats as I'm paranoid about obscuring detail

I've seen countless minis get dinged, both metal and plastic, and the loss of those hours of work can be reduced/prevented all for the sake of a quick spray that takes seconds and costs pennies. Good deal IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mbmb
ATT_Turan wrote:
"Should" you? No. On plastic minis...

I disagree, I've had this game and Descent minis chip. I have Wrath of Ashardalon minis that got almost sticky after the primer and those things are bullet proof. This game on the other hand does ok but considering the time and energy that goes into painting it's more than worth the 2 seconds with a spray can to protect a mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Andy said "many" different manufacturers, what kinds of paint do you use, Bucho?

I started off with Citadel and graduated to Vallejo Model Color a few years ago...I still play with pewter stuff in Citadel paint that has no discernible signs of wear.

Maybe it depends on how you use them, also? I am careful to teach any mini-newbie people I play with that the proper usage is to only manipulate by the base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.