New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Antagonistic, insulting, hateful, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the
icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the
icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the
icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottRock79 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
I agree with one point you've raised, that some people haven't given enough thought to these issues... but I think that person is you.
Wow! I honestly don't understand why you found my post insulting. I said nothing against you. I made no personal attack against you. I don't understand why you've have that emotional response. But you've definitely made me your enemy.
Your initial post came across as condescending. You arrived on the scene to demonstrate to us a truth, that other people's argument on this subject were "futile." You would explain this was because they mistook representation for reality. When you try to explain very obvious things to people (that representation is reality), things that they already know, it's going to come across as condescending. You on high, with knowledge, will explain to us, down low, without knowledge. When you're explaining an obvious thing, it makes the condescension that much worse.

I realize you may not have intended this thing, but I'm clearly not the only one who read it that way.

Btw, it doesn't help to talk about other people's "emotional" responses, as if only they were losing their cool while you remained serenely rational. That comes across, again, as condescending.

As for Bryan making you his enemy, hardly. He's just poking holes in your logic. The funny thing is, you started off by suggesting that people, other people, have not thought about these things enough. You then seemed surprised that people being told that they hadn't thought enough bothered those same people. And yet, when Bryan said that you were the one who had not thought enough, suddenly you feel attacked and believe that Bryan has made you his enemy. (A bit of an emotionally reactive overstatement, to say the least.)

If you're going to dish it out, ya gotta learn to take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toy_brain wrote:
The Treachery of Images is, unfortunately, a really bad example for the point that (I think) the OP is trying to make.

Besides, the painting of the pipe is a perfectly good example of a representation of a pipe. For the joke to work it yas to be a painting of something the intended audience would recognize as a pipe. The chosen model would reflect the contextual understanding of what a pipe is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottRock79 wrote:
Shader10 wrote:
ScottRock79 wrote:

I never said I don't have problems with representations; I have problems with representations all the time and more problems with the way people read representations, which is why I made this post.

Could you perhaps give an example of a representation you have a problem with (rather than a reading of it)?

I could do that but I’m sure it will lead to a debate and I worry that will further derail the purpose of the post. Can you tell me why you need an example of a representation I have a problem with?

It would serve to limit the navel-gazing. Speaking on specifics, rathering than groping about generalities, almost always does.

The thread in general that seems to have prompted this one will go on forever, because it's not attached to anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottRock79 wrote:
But you've definitely made me your enemy.
Cool. I'll add you to the list.

The number of people who hold a grudge against me isn't exactly short. You'll forgive me if I (more than likely) completely forget who you are the next time we cross paths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
skutsch wrote:

The number of people who hold a grudge against me isn't exactly short. You'll forgive me if I (more than likely) completely forget who you are the next time we cross paths.
I always find that embarrassing. Halfway through a new debate, I suddenly realize I loathe the person (or they loathe me) I'm civilly debating because of a past debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
ScottRock79 wrote:

I always find that embarrassing. Halfway through a new debate, I suddenly realize I loathe the person (or they loathe me) I'm civilly debating because of a past debate.
I usually find it amusing when someone thinks that we're mortal enemies and for the life of me I can't place them. I mean, I'm sure I did something to deserve their enmity, but that doesn't exactly narrow it down for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's not something I was expecting!

Pete (supposes there are new things under the sun)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Well I appreciate you keeping it clean with me anyway, pal.

Pete (sees no reason to bicker in public)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
skutsch wrote:

You are not one of the people I either loathe or forget!

Edit: Do note that Pete's misquote has made Bryan my enemy. Hmmm, I think I need a lair and minions now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Edit: Do note that Pete's misquote has made Bryan my enemy. Hmmm, I think I need a lair and minions now.
My quoting etiquette definitely needs work...

Pete (was trying to isolate just your comment and blew it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
skutsch wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Did you blow it, or did you see a deeper truth?!?

I ordered a "build-your-own-evil-lair" kit from Amazon. Luckily I'm a Prime member so it'll arrive before Xmas. Watch your back Bryan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Russ (wonders if Pete knows about the ability to edit one's comments)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
If you go back and look, it's in one of your posts where I suddenly became your enemy. I think it might have been a Freudian-slip-Agricola-flashback moment for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Russ (wonders if Pete knows about the ability to edit one's comments)
I totally would have, but after Skutsch quoted it, that would ruin continuity.

Pete (knows a decent joke when he sees one, even if he crafted it accidentally)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lest we forget...

All you need is love (brapppadabada!)
All you need is love (brappaadabada!)
All you needs is love, love.
Love is all you need*.

Merry Christmas all!

*And maybe a shiny new game or two

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does love get converted into victory points?

Pete (is confused)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red

(Wonders why this is in Complaints instead of RSP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm feeling left out. Can I be someone's mortal enemy? sounds like fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivien JustJ

New York
msg tools
Men's Rights Deactivist
badge
class instinct > politics
mbmbmb
you can have as many mortal enemies as you like, I make a score at least on every commute.

edit to add: was this moved to complaints because it's a whiny post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
VivienJ wrote:
you can have as many mortal enemies as you like, I make a score at least on every commute.

edit to add: was this moved to complaints because it's a whiny post?

Is someone with the power to move posts also in just the right place on the leader board to benefit from such a move, especially given that there's only a week and a bit left in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
Don't you already have one?

Pete (remembers that incident that got you fired)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Don't you already have one?

Pete (remembers that incident that got you fired)
true, but that bozo struck mostly overnight while I was sleeping and was cleansed from the site before I ever found out who he was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
skutsch wrote:
If you go back and look, it's in one of your posts where I suddenly became your enemy. I think it might have been a Freudian-slip-Agricola-flashback moment for you.
Oops. Or do I mean, mwhahahahahaha?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the topic again, this was just a wordy way of making the Thermian Argument again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |