• [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VivienJ wrote:
you read it again!?

I wanted to see if I'd missed anything. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivien JustJ

New York
msg tools
Men's Rights Deactivist
badge
class instinct > politics
mbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
VivienJ wrote:
you read it again!?

you're a hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VivienJ wrote:
Shader10 wrote:
VivienJ wrote:
you read it again!?

you're a hero.

I have to keep my media studies argumentation skills from atrophying away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
Reading the topic again, this was just a wordy way of making the Thermian Argument again.
Thermians? weren't those the guys who made that space web that caught Captain Kirk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
Shader10 wrote:
Reading the topic again, this was just a wordy way of making the Thermian Argument again.
Thermians? weren't those the guys who made that space web that caught Captain Kirk?

Those were Tholians. Thermians were the good-guy aliens in Galaxy Quest.

(I apoligize if the following comes across as mansplaining, I just wanted to explain what the Thermian Argument is.)

Thermians had no concept of fiction in the film and believed tv broadcasts to be historical arguments. The Thermian Argument on the other hand is trying to justify extra-fictional criticism through intra-fictional reasoning. Basically justifying, say, deflecting criticism of a chainmail bikini outfit as sexist by saying "But that's just how they dress in the fictional world."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Shader10 wrote:

(I apoligize if the following comes across as mansplaining, I just wanted to explain what the Thermian Argument is.)

Thermians had no concept of fiction in the film and believed tv broadcasts to be historical arguments. The Thermian Argument on the other hand is trying to justify extra-fictional criticism through intra-fictional reasoning. Basically justifying, say, deflecting criticism of a chainmail bikini outfit as sexist by saying "But that's just how they dress in the fictional world."

sorry if I wasn't clear. I knew exactly what Tholians and Thermians are (Galaxy Quest is a classic up there with Godfather, Shawshank and Die Hard). TBH though, I have never heard of the "Thermian Argument" in any sort of critical sense. Is there something you studied or just something you came up with for the internet? (<-genuine curiosity)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
Shader10 wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Shader10 wrote:

sorry if I wasn't clear. I knew exactly what Tholians and Thermians are (Galaxy Quest is a classic up there with Godfather, Shawshank and Die Hard). TBH though, I have never heard of the "Thermian Argument" in any sort of critical sense. Is there something you studied or just something you came up with for the internet? (<-genuine curiosity)

The argument I've come across in media studies, the name is from Dan Olson's Youtube series Folding Ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Shader10 wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Shader10 wrote:

The argument I've come across in media studies, the name is from Dan Olson's Youtube series Folding Ideas.
sounds like something I need to check out. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Shader10 wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. No need to pre-apologize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.