Rob Grieco
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
After devouring the Unlock! series, as well as trying Escape Room: The Game and completing plenty physical escape room themselves, I came across these. I'll first praise the game for the unique puzzle decoder. Considering this is a genre of games that is expanding so rapidly, it's refreshing to see all of these games working through different mechanisms for the puzzle solving. With that in mind, I honestly think that the decoding mechanism is the poorest one out there. I have heard from others that hold a different opinion, but it doesn't appear succinct comparably to the aforementioned.

Another gripe I have with the Exit series is with the hint cards. When we get stuck on a puzzle (which is frequently) the first two hint cards may as well not exist. Random hyperbole: Hint 1 - Check the clock; Hint 2 - Check the clock again; Solution - If you look at the clock and fold it into a triangle it will take on the appearance of a sphinx and this will reflect the light from your ceiling to display a wizards beard. Obviously this is exaggeration, but when we need to utilize the hint cards we look at one another in the group going "um, yeah, no ****". There doesn't seem to be a helpful explanation until you get to the solution card, which is very deflating to have to rely on.

The Abandon Cabin was okay overall. It was our first experience at the Exit series. I found the puzzles to be manageable, but they're much harder than alternative escape room games. That's not always a bad thing, but more of a warning. If you're looking for a plot from the escape room genre, you're out of your mind. Escape rooms need to stop acting like we play them for the story line. We don't. It's an added benefit, but just keep them puzzles coming.

The final pessimistic view I have here is with the "one at a time" puzzling. There's literally one thing going on at a time.....that's terrible. If you and your group get stuck, then that's that. It becomes very discouraging.

That's my view. Maybe it will change a bit if I try a few more. I'm always willing to attempt new ones, but if I had a choice, give me Unlock! over any other escape room games. I rate it 6/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hwa Huey Soh
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have not tried any other escape/puzzle solving series, but I have played 3 titles in this series. I would recommend the Murder on the Orient Express one, while it still suffers from the one puzzle at a time, there is an overriding whodunnit mystery that is revealed piece wise as you solve the puzzles and you have to figure the culprit before the end. I really enjoyed that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Yanyo
United States
Evansville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the hint cards:

We've played most of the entries in this series, except for the most recent ones. I think it's pretty clearly outlined that the hints will be:

Hint 1 - Tells you all the cards you'll need to solve the puzzle, and maybe gives a vague hint. This is occasionally helpful as a sanity check, where you think you can solve a puzzle but something isn't quite lining up. That way you can verify that you really do have all the information you need.

Hint 2 - Gives you a bigger hint on how to solve the puzzle. I've found that when we're stuck, it's usually due to not thinking about the puzzle the right way, and for those situations, the second hint card does the trick.

Hint 3 - This is the solution to the puzzle. Out of the entire Exit series, I think there have only been 1 or 2 times where we needed this in order to proceed.

We usually use 2-3 hint cards per game, and as alluded above, I think they're usually pretty good at getting us on the right track. I can't remember if The Abandoned Cabin was particularly worse than the other games in the series with regards to hints and puzzles, but I would urge you to try at least one or two more in the series.

I've only played these games with 2 or 3 players, so it was never that much of an issue having one puzzle at a time (though usually it seems like there are a few things possible to solve at a time). I don't necessarily see the difference from other escape room games, because often progress will be locked behind a puzzle at a time until you get what you need to proceed on other available puzzles.

I hope I didn't come across as too contrarian. I know that the quality and enjoyment of these can vary from game to game, so hope you don't write off the whole series based on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Grieco
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
While my friends and I enjoy this series as a whole, we prefer other escape room table games a bit more. The puzzles are way more creative in this series, which is certainly a plus, but we've found a lot of the puzzles can require thinking beyond the guidelines provided. That's poorly worded, but a few moments during different Exit games we kind of looked at one another with a look of dumbfounded disbelief. Not going to give any spoilers away, but it can be aggravating when you look at the solution and feel as though the game didn't set you up properly for it. This happens at least 2 or 3 riddles per game. Just my opinion of course, and it clearly hasn't been enough to deter me from playing. Still fun at least.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Grieco
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
TaoMoon35 wrote:
I have not tried any other escape/puzzle solving series, but I have played 3 titles in this series. I would recommend the Murder on the Orient Express one, while it still suffers from the one puzzle at a time, there is an overriding whodunnit mystery that is revealed piece wise as you solve the puzzles and you have to figure the culprit before the end. I really enjoyed that one.

I just finished this with my friends. We liked it, but we had to stop in the middle and come back to it at another time due to schedule restrictions. Really screwed us up!!!! haha Some of the puzzles in this one were a lot of fun, but we felt that they weren't outlined clearly at times. Obviously they aren't supposed to put up a sign saying "answer this way", but we were making it harder than it needed to be because often, the clues in the gameplay led us to one spot or two, then just dropped off. We sat there going......and then????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.