Subject: If you do this, you're a prig. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chessie Zecat
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I just entered a game on the Crucible and the guy immediately popped onto Keyforge Compendium to look up my deck and critique it. He sat there and looked over all the cards in my deck, then gave me the ratings and his personal evaluation of my likelihood of victory.

Understandably, I think, I disconnected.

If you do it online, you deserve to be hit with a chair.

If you do this in person, someone will hit you with a chair.

Do not be this guy.

Chairs cost money and dispensing justice with them makes it expensive to run a game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
That is, in fact, insane. There is a 150% chance that guy has no friends...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
droppinloads wrote:

But maybe we should look him up and critique his ability to gain friends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shan Rievan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe he was streaming and doing a play by play analysis on how to alienate friends and make enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.. that's shocking.

I played against 4 people the other day, and they all quit after a few minutes of suspicious absence. I suspect they were looking up my decks (I own a horemen deck) and a mental creature deck with 23 creatures in it.

It's just pathetic really
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Do or do not. There is no try.
mbmbmbmbmb
simondtaylor wrote:
I own a horemen deck
Sorry, I just had to laugh about you typo. The four horeman

Regarding the OP, I'm not as shocked as the others, but maybe I do not understand it right. What was shocking from your point-of-view?
That he looked up your deck?
That he analysed it verbosely?
Or that he made bad comments about it?

I actually often received questions about game states or deck content from opponents and had many discussions over the chat. And sometimes people just start talking about a specific card or combo in my deck and I don't mind a strategy discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they were doing it to belittle you, then yeah, that's pretty sad given that you didn't choose the deck, the deck chose you.

But... Maybe he was just trying to start a discussion about the deck? Isn't that afterall the most interesting part of Keyforge?

It's not like you can take it personally when it's not a deck you constructed and can be proud of when you got it randomly.

If they rated your deck as poor, just use that as a way to negotiate a chain handicap pre-game. Use their analysis to your advantage in the game or perhaps play it in ways you hadn't considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you tell him why you were disconnecting? If he doesn't realize it's annoying, he'll keep doing it to other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolle_Petterson wrote:
simondtaylor wrote:
I own a horemen deck

Regarding the OP, I'm not as shocked as the others, but maybe I do not understand it right. What was shocking from your point-of-view?
That he looked up your deck?
That he analysed it verbosely?
Or that he made bad comments about it?

I actually often received questions about game states or deck content from opponents and had many discussions over the chat. And sometimes people just start talking about a specific card or combo in my deck and I don't mind a strategy discussion.

Ahahaaaaa whoops!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stomski wrote:
If they were doing it to belittle you, then yeah, that's pretty sad given that you didn't choose the deck, the deck chose you.

But... Maybe he was just trying to start a discussion about the deck? Isn't that afterall the most interesting part of Keyforge?

Yep that is great after the game - where you can discuss how it played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chessie Zecat
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
After the game, absolutely, I would agree.

Before the first house is chosen or the mulligans accomplished, it's dick behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Mulholland
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why someone, in a game like Keyforge, would feel it was either necessary or acceptable to go and look up all your cards before the game. Maybe I misunderstand the stakes involved in the illustrious world of online Keyforge, but wow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtmulhol wrote:
I don't understand why someone, in a game like Keyforge, would feel it was either necessary or acceptable to go and look up all your cards before the game. Maybe I misunderstand the stakes involved in the illustrious world of online Keyforge, but wow...

If deck lists are public, then it's absolutely acceptable to look up an opponent's list. Knowing their options can seriously inform your strategy. You shouldn't delay the game to do so, however.

Offering unsolicited commentary - decidedly less acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing the broader range of card abilities beyond your own deck and being able to quickly adapt your own deck strategies from the off to counter potential strategies your opponent may use is entirely the point of higher level play.

Although I would agree that spending minutes leaving your opponent waiting is poor etiquette.

edit: ninja by Eric!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric the GM wrote:
dtmulhol wrote:

If deck lists are public, then it's absolutely acceptable to look up an opponent's list. Knowing their options can seriously inform your strategy. You shouldn't delay the game to do so, however.

Offering unsolicited commentary - decidedly less acceptable.

It's a pretty fast game otherwise so looking up someone's deck after the game starts WILL delay gameplay. In something like the crucible, I can absolutely see this becoming a real additive AP issue. Online play will need a reasonable turn timer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might slow play my first couple turns - not ending until forced to in order to pull up the list on my phone.

I imagine if this takes off you'll see programs that display both your and your opponent's deck lists along the sides of the screen - similar to what you often see with Hearthstone streamers.

NOTE: For all my commentary lately, I haven't actually played yet - not paying above retail on Amazon and can't get to the free-ship threshold anywhere until I know what other games I'm getting this Christmas.
Just diving into the forums to stay hyped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
badalchemist
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole ABCE/ADHD ratings business has (to a degree) ruined some of the enjoyment of this game for me. I don't get why people feel the need to reduce decks to ratings and numbers. Some of my best decks have piss-poor ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where there are options, there will be a meta.
Where there is a meta, there will be ratings and tier lists.

It's unavoidable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
badalchemist wrote:
The whole ABCE/ADHD ratings business has (to a degree) ruined some of the enjoyment of this game for me. I don't get why people feel the need to reduce decks to ratings and numbers. Some of my best decks have piss-poor ratings.

Some people simply enjoy analysis. It’s a way to extend interest in a game during times when you can’t play, and can be enjoyable in its own right. Best to indulge other people having fun their way (if they’re not being jerks at the same time, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karel Titeca
Belgium
Dendermonde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chessiecat wrote:
I just entered a game on the Crucible and the guy immediately popped onto Keyforge Compendium to look up my deck and critique it. He sat there and looked over all the cards in my deck, then gave me the ratings and his personal evaluation of my likelihood of victory.

When I was reading your post, I was reading his comments in the voice of this guy:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fregonar wrote:

When I was reading your post, I was reading his comments in the voice of this guy:

"Worst. Deck. Ever." obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin S
Poland
Warszawa
EU
flag msg tools
M s b S
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which type of game was it? I played a handful of times (7-10), beginner or casual, and it was always good fun. Casual for me means no online lookup of my opponent's cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Hearing stories like this make me want to play the game that much more (read with sarcasm)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
droppinloads wrote:

Or no chairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolle_Petterson wrote:
simondtaylor wrote:
I own a horemen deck

And now I want a Horeman deck.

Could be brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.