Kim Solberg
Norway
Horten
Vestfold
flag msg tools
badge
Always play to win.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the purple fortune cards that says to give you stuff affect all players, or just the player that has the deck and reveals the card?

We played as it affected all. So in round two, the two players not in the lead got a 4-chip for each rat tail they got that turn. They got a 4-mandrake for free (as the yellow book got into play that turn).

It was a huge drawback for the poor player in the lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All players, yes.

The card isn't that bad, though: it's ONE 4-level chip OR 1 point per rat tail. So you can't get multiple 4-chips out of it, that'd be just brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Solberg
Norway
Horten
Vestfold
flag msg tools
badge
Always play to win.
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have read that wrong then. Anyways, it was pretty good with that 4-chip for free, but it didn't give a good first impression of the game for the player that got punished for being in the lead in the first round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a chaotic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that card came up in our game as well...the current leader was not happy about it...he felt it directly contributed to his ability to compete the rest of the game...and I can understand his complaint...it is a significant addition for everyone else. I would be tempted to modify it or leave it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's not a strategy game. Though a strategic advice would be not to take the lead too early. But really there is a lot of luck. If that bothers you, the game just isn't for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Solberg
Norway
Horten
Vestfold
flag msg tools
badge
Always play to win.
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
It's not a strategy game. Though a strategic advice would be not to take the lead too early. But really there is a lot of luck. If that bothers you, the game just isn't for you.

I knew what the game was before I bought it. I usually play heavier low-to-none luck games, but sometimes it's fun to play something lighter and less thinky. And I really like it. It's great for what it is. The problem is that the card kinda ruined the game for one player, and how that made a bad first impression. I think the solution is to house rules it to just give players the points per rat tail, and not the option to take the chip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Catanid wrote:
tilouboy wrote:

I knew what the game was before I bought it. I usually play heavier low-to-none luck games, but sometimes it's fun to play something lighter and less thinky. And I really like it. It's great for what it is. The problem is that the card kinda ruined the game for one player, and how that made a bad first impression. I think the solution is to house rules it to just give players the points per rat tail, and not the option to take the chip.

If you follow this game's forum you'll know that some geeks complain about being ahead being too good and the difficulty to catch up.

This card, as others, is there for a reason.

EDIT: It is really a bad idea to take the lead too soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catanid wrote:
Does the purple fortune cards that says to give you stuff affect all players, or just the player that has the deck and reveals the card?

We played as it affected all. So in round two, the two players not in the lead got a 4-chip for each rat tail they got that turn. They got a 4-mandrake for free (as the yellow book got into play that turn).

you read the or clause wrong - it is:
Take a single 4-chip (even if you have 0 rat tails)
Or:
Get 1 point for every rat tail.

The player in the lead gets 1 4-chip, everyone else either gets 1 point per rat tail or 1 4-chip.

If this comes early in the game, the 4-chip is worth more, but on late turns, the points to catch up may be more useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
abredon wrote:
Catanid wrote:

Or:

The player in the lead gets 1 4-chip, everyone else either gets 1 point per rat tail or 1 4-chip.

That's right indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
Catanid wrote:

Or:

If this comes early in the game, the 4-chip is worth more, but on late turns, the points to catch up may be more useful.

Then the card is written very poorly as this was not the impression anyone at our table got.

Quote:
Take any one 4-chip OR 1 victory point for each rat tail you will receive.

Okay...I can see where you get that. That said, it still could have been phrased much more clearly. A clearer phrasing would possibly be something like: Take any one 4-chip or for each rat tail you receive score 1 point. Or just switch them around: Score 1 victory point for each rat tail you receive or take one 4-chip.

The current wording can be read too many ways Order matters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
abredon wrote:
Catanid wrote:

Or:

Then the card is written very poorly as this was not the impression anyone at our table got.

Quote:

Okay...I can see where you get that. That said, it still could have been phrased much more clearly. A clearer phrasing would possibly be something like: Take any one 4-chip or for each rat tail you receive score 1 point. Or just switch them around: Score 1 victory point for each rat tail you receive or take one 4-chip.

The formatting is more significant. With one exception, every card that provides more than one choice lists them on separate lines with the word OR on a separate line between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:
garry_rice wrote:
abredon wrote:
Catanid wrote:

Or:

Quote:

The formatting is more significant. With one exception, every card that provides more than one choice lists them on separate lines with the word OR on a separate line between them.

And the '... for each rat tail' is part of the sentence 'gain 1 point ...'
This implies it is directly related to that sentence and Not to the 'gain a 4-chip' sentence 2 lines above.

The use of all caps for the OR and plaving it on a separate line also indicates that it separates the two sentences entirely.

If someone was reading it out and paused significantly before and after the or and emphasised the OR, what would be your intetpretation? That is what the spacing and caps are trying to do.

Interpreting it differently, (as if it were all one sentence with no emphasis) is misinterpreting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not own the game...I am going off of the phrasing listed above in which it is all one sentence. Regardless, it IS confusing and this could have been avoided with a few modifications...but I will not belabor the point any further

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.