Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garret Trezona
United States
Cutler Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thought I posted this earlier this morning but cant find it so sorry if this is showing up twice in the thread.

Is it worth it to play this game for the first time with 2 players? Or should we wait till we have more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
Garret123 wrote:
Thought I posted this earlier this morning but cant find it so sorry if this is showing up twice in the thread.

Is it worth it to play this game for the first time with 2 players? Or should we wait till we have more?

Absolutely worth it. It's great with all player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tombonator
United States
charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garret123 wrote:

My wife and I only play this at 2p, and its fantastic on both sides of the board (full 4 player and 2 player variant).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Steinbach
Germany
Frankenthal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only confirm my colleagues above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my wife's favorite game. Often it is just us and two player works great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have any of you also had the some experience/opionion with Birmingham?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:

We are going to try Birmingham two player but haven't so far. I believe both are balanced similarly across different player counts, i.e. more or fewer cards in the draw deck.

Otherwise Birmingham is said to have more options available when deciding on a strategy path.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sail OS
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:

It's fine, but as a two player game (after ten or so plays) it's a lot less of a shared experience than Lancashire, which removes pretty much all of the attraction Brass has as a magnificent two player experience.

The nature of Brass being that your industries, networks, and links intertwine to change the game state and your strategies every turn isn't always the case with Birmingham if one player/both of you build in pockets away from each other, and it becomes a *lot* more of a multiplayer solitaire experience due to that. Which is fine, but Brass: Lancashire, which is what I've played for years, is all about accidental & intentional use of your neighbour's industries, adapting to someone messing up a plan you had and improving on less than ideal situations, all while impacting other player's in a similar way.

Birmingham is still a very fine game, but it's nowhere near as alive, and despite having modular variable set-ups, it's a lot easier to do well right off the bat, whereas Brass: Lancashire requires a lot more brain power.

If you prefer an easier opening, Birmingham might be a good idea, but it might give you the wrong impression of the original Brass experience so many people have loved for years. Plus it's a very hyped Euro game, so the hype may mislead you. In that regard I'd always tell people to go with the more established original option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CongratulatoryWisdom wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

It's fine, but as a two player game (after ten or so plays) it's a lot less of a shared experience than Lancashire, which removes pretty much all of the attraction Brass has as a magnificent two player experience.

The nature of Brass being that your industries, networks, and links intertwine to change the game state and your strategies every turn isn't always the case with Birmingham if one player/both of you build in pockets away from each other, and it becomes a *lot* more of a multiplayer solitaire experience due to that. Which is fine, but Brass: Lancashire, which is what I've played for years, is all about accidental & intentional use of your neighbour's industries, adapting to someone messing up a plan you had and improving on less than ideal situations, all while impacting other player's in a similar way.

Birmingham is still a very fine game, but it's nowhere near as alive, and despite having modular variable set-ups, it's a lot easier to do well right off the bat, whereas Brass: Lancashire requires a lot more brain power.

If you prefer an easier opening, Birmingham might be a good idea, but it might give you the wrong impression of the original Brass experience so many people have loved for years. Plus it's a very hyped Euro game, so the hype may mislead you. In that regard I'd always tell people to go with the more established original option.

Thanks -- but I couldn't help thinking most of this was about the games generally. To be clear, I've played both a good bit, just always at 4 players. I was wondering about how the two compare with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sail OS
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
CongratulatoryWisdom wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

Thanks -- but I couldn't help thinking most of this was about the games generally. To be clear, I've played both a good bit, just always at 4 players. I was wondering about how the two compare with two players.

Ah, the entirety of the post is exclusively about the 2 player experiences across both.

In short, Birmingham is fine, but can lead you to missing the core Brass experience you will always find within the original/Lancashire.

Plus the original Brass has been around for so long, with so many 2 player only hardcores, that it would be a better choice for 2 than Birmingham due to, well, it's not riding a hype cycle the way Birmingham is right now.

Though the downside of original Brass being that if you end up stuck, or have too much of a rigid plan, you may end up finding Birmingham a much easier game to get along with in 2 players. This is reflected in the 3/4 player games too to be fair, but it's extra obvious with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic" - Pai Mei
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:

It is designed to limit the amount of the game board you will use, so it works really well with all player counts, including two players. Both games work equally well with two players. So, it is just a matter of which game you will like better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.