Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts on this after the Fall of Rome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the Fall of Rome came out I decided to try again Reign of Cthulhu with Rome's solo rules (btw they work great, I will add it to variants). And there are two things that bugs me about this one:

1. No good way to tweak difficulty. The recommended way is limiting the time, but it doesn't make the game feel more difficult when you play, only the ending, here Rome is much superior.
2. Shogogth (I'm sure it's not spelled that) entering a gate and disappearing is really anti-climatic, sometimes it's better to just leave them be.
3. There are some dead turns when you are just waiting for the right cards and doing things to kill time (again Rome solved this so well with setting up defences and being able to win without cards too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humberto Villela
Brazil
Porto Velho
RO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely want to see this variant. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
1. No good way to tweak difficulty. The recommended way is limiting the time, but it doesn't make the game feel more difficult when you play, only the ending, here Rome is much superior.

I see what you're saying, but there is some in-game impact. I am slightly more willing to spend cards to travel if there are more of them in the game. It also changes how valuable it is to trade cards, because with a shorter clock you have to focus a bit more on closing gates and a bit less on fighting cultists. But yes, those are all pretty subtle effects.

Base Pandemic adds more Epidemic cards, which doesn't really seem better or worse to me. I'm not sure how Rome handles this.

Quote:
2. Shogogth (I'm sure it's not spelled that) entering a gate and disappearing is really anti-climatic, sometimes it's better to just leave them be.

Wait, what??? A shoggoth entering a gate reveals an OO. Since that is the main timer for losing, plus gives you really bad effects, it is something we try to avoid at almost all cost.

Quote:
3. There are some dead turns when you are just waiting for the right cards and doing things to kill time (again Rome solved this so well with setting up defences and being able to win without cards too).

I can see how Rome, Iberia, and Tide have all improved that, as I think some of the base game expansions did. It has never really bothered me, because it happens rarely for us. But I can see how that is an improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
[q="borsook"]
Quote:

Wait, what??? A shoggoth entering a gate reveals an OO. Since that is the main timer for losing, plus gives you really bad effects, it is something we try to avoid at almost all cost.

Once I tryed to create a variant where shoggoths were portal guards. Instead they moving to gates, they stay at gates and cultists would move to gates, whenever 4+ cultists meet at a gate, they awaken an old one.
To close the gate first you need to kill the shoggoth.
But I never finalized my variant nor have I tried it.
I could share my drafts if someone wants it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.