Paige D'Macy
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hello everyone! I've been a lurker on this site for... I think 10 years? I finally have an idea I don't want to keep in my head .

I've seen a lot of posts trying to make changes to the way the fallout endgame works, and the general game incentives for victory or loss.

This idea is a hybrid of Bryan Sharkey's cooperative and competitive variants, with a few new rules to even things out. Essentially, i liked the idea that the game was decided by the stories of the big factions, and how you helped, hindered, or ignored them at key points. I wanted the game to flow from near pure ambivalence to two unknown powers, to a push to advance one faction entirely, over multiple quests/objectives. This way the start of the game is more roleplaying, and the end game is longer with more of a committed effort based on your earlier choices.

As a note, none of these rules apply to the New California variant, as it is a committed cooperative adventure. I have heard inconsistencies about its difficulty, so consider using some of the rules here to even that out if need be.

I hope this achieves that goal!

Agenda Cards:
Agenda cars are now never drawn by players, and are used to move enemies. When an agenda deck depletes, the weaker power advances. Both advance if they are tied. (I tried to remove this rule, but keeping this clock prevents the game from too heavy an early stalemate, and doesn't sway power later on.) Keep in mind, there is a common misprint where a Security Card advances Freedom movement; just be on the lookout for that. The agenda deck can be modulated for game speed/difficulty, especially for New California. For NC, I recommend using a reverse scaling system, where you have the deck be the full deck size for 1 player, all the way down to no +4, +3, or +2 cards for 4 player. This should balance out the experience of the game being impossible on single player but really easy on four player. Outside of New California, I prefer to use the full deck regardless of setting, to make sure player action has the most common influence on faction power.

When a player would gain an agenda card, instead they may sway the powers that be. They may advance a faction, push back a faction, or do nothing.

This advance or push back is treated as different support than if you advance a faction as part of the quest. Thematically, consider it the difference between actively pushing a faction forward vs your actions having beneficial consequences. The factions will react differently to these changes depending on their overall influence, and your adherence with them.

Factions and Loyalty:
Both factions start at the first spot on the faction track. They do not move unless a player decides to move them, or card/scenario text overtly changes faction power.

Loyalty is decided in a new way here, and the loyalty system allows you to decide if you want to play a cooperative, competitive, or a changing game. The benefits and drawbacks of loyalty are the same. Loyalty is now represented by having a faction token near your pip boy.

Whether or not they will accept your actions, or welcome your loyalty, is dependent on the faction's most recent "color" on the faction chart.(If you move a faction up or down, it will consider the color prior to movement for the purposes of choices.). The earlier colors represent a weaker, more desperate faction which will go out of its way to find you if you seem promising, whereas the later colors represent stronger, less flexible factions that won't keep around unhelpful individuals.

Recommendation: A useful feature for both cooperative and diplomacy-heavy games. A player may recommend someone else for a faction, and early colors will accept this recommendation.

Green: You may declare loyalty to the faction after doing anything that advances them. The faction will not rescind loyalty unless you move them down. They will not care if you advance the opposing faction, or if you choose to do nothing. Will accept new members by recommendation, on any player's turn.

Yellow: You may declare loyalty to the faction after advancing them through the choice that would have otherwise gained you an agenda card. They will not accept your request for loyalty if you help them as a quest consequence. If you push them back or advance the enemy faction through an agenda card, they will rescind your loyalty. They will not respond to neutrality. Will accept new members by recommendation, on the recommending player's turn.

Orange: No longer accepts new members through assistance, and no longer accepts neutral agenda card usage. In order to maintain loyalty, you must either advance them or push back their opposing faction. Will accept recommendation from a player, on their turn, if they have at least 1 charisma perk. (Results of quest cards do not affect loyalty considerations, positively or negatively, for yellow or orange).

Red: Game ends. Individuals loyal to winning faction win the game. Individuals not loyal, either neutral or directly opposing, lose.

As usual, a player may rescind loyalty at any time. A player may accept bribes when trading to rescind their loyalty. However, any lost loyalty must be re-earned through the means appropriate for the faction color.

The functionality of faction tokens and other rules do not change. The only thing that's changed is the purpose of agenda cards and the way loyalty is managed.

I hope you guys found this interesting! I'd like to hear some input, and if there's any inconsistencies/curiosities you want cleared out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This is pretty nice!

Played a few games solo, and my loyalty depended on which loyalty cards I got.

This completely changes it to how you'd play the video games. You get loyalty towards a faction by what you do for that faction, not through random chance.

Also eliminates the awkward part where your faction wins, but you still lose cause you didn't get enough influence. Happened in my last solo game.

If you're playing co-op or alone, how would you increase the difficulty of the game? The opposing faction wouldn't get that much of a chance to move their token, especially if you're not removing agenda cards through gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.