Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I begin this review, let me tell you something of me. I'm happily married to the most intelligent, gorgeous, kind and understanding woman on the planet. My life is bliss except for one thing: I'm a gamer and my wife is not.

How a woman who's so smart, inquisitive and fun to be with can't like games, I have no idea. Sufficient to say that for the past number of years I've been searching for the Holy Grail: a game my wife would like.

As any quests this one is fraught with peril and many a dead end. No thanks! went out the door. She took a look at Railroad tycoon and laughed. Monopoly is a no-no for us both. Dozens of games have met ignoble fates at her hand.

My hopes rose when she once suggested a game of Lost cities but were then wrecked on the harsh rocks of reality when I realized it was a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Then came UNO. No need to be ashamed of it, we've all played UNO at some point in time. And this time it came with friends, German friends...

For all those of you now imagining me playing Carcassone and Puerto Rico: they're not that kind of German. But they did have a copy of UNO and some odd rules to go with it.

Here's the deal; UNO with German rules:
Get rid of all the cards, if you don't you get points. Least points at the end of the night wins. Number cards are worth their number in points, black cards are worth 50 points, other special cards are worth 20 and the weird UNO-on-both-sides cards they've got are worth 100 points.
You play as usual except: Draw 2 and draw 4 cards stack, 0 shifts all hand one step in the direction of play (i.e. give you hand away, get another player's hand), playing an UNO card lets you choose a player to change hands with and if you've got a card that's a duplicate of one just played you get to throw it in as an immediate turn.

It's simple, banal and ridiculous. And my wife liked it, liked it so much that she even suggests it when they come over – and invites other people over for UNO-nights.

Hallelujah! My wife's become a gamer… A one game gamer… of a game I hate.

For I hate UNO. There are no dice in UNO, no tanks, no leadership rolls, no +2 assault bonuses. There are no resource cubes, no shipping, no pauses and everyone I play with sorts their hands like crap (they even have the gall to say the same thing about me).

My wife is now a gamer, and I love her dearly for it. I love her when she wakes, I love her when she sleeps. I love her at night, at dawn and when I should be working but daydream of her. I love her with all my heart and all my soul, but why, oh, why should she have to love UNO?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe your wive does not like your *taste* in games? Ahahah!
Humor aside, Uno is certainly not a stellar game, but is not broken, and can even provide some fun when played as intended and whith the right crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true, although for me it wears out real fast nowadays. I can play a couple of hands but then I get bored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.