Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shaman - Mouse Form and Growth Attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike MacPhee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trying to interpret the Mouse Form rules for attacking an enemy in your space.

Rules as written:
"Use 1 Grit when transforming back with another model in your space to make a growth attack. That model is moved to an adjacent space and takes a D6 Wounds, ignoring Defense (if Large size or bigger, you are moved instead but it still takes the Wounds)."

"You may automatically Transform back at the start of your activation on any future turn."

Seems pretty specific that a Growth Attack is only a potential action you can take at activation at the beginning of your turn, so you have to spend a turn setting it up. Cast Mouse Form. Move into enemy square. Enemy has to not retarget. Next turn, at beginning of turn, you may perform a Growth Attack.

Seems incredibly narrow and not worth the setup (I'll just attack with my Hatchet, thanks). Only useful if you are intent on "mouse-tanking" (hit on 6+, 3+ defense) a significant threat that does not retarget.

Also, when attacking or ambushing a Mouse, will enemies move to the square with the Mouse in it or will they move to an adjacent square? Trying to determine if the only way to get an enemy into your square is to pretty much waste a turn setting it up. Depth tracker and Hold Back the Darkness rolls mean you don't have time to lollygag around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is very situational. And no, if they target the mouse, they will move into an adjacent space thus ruining your set up. Growth Attack is basically just a fun bonus that's either going to happen randomly (with greater occurrences happening when there are more Enemies on the board) or with great care and planning (you can accurately predict where the Enemies are going to go).

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacPhee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"accurately predict where the Enemies are going to go"

Does this imply that the Mouse's square is considered an 'open' square?

If they are targeting another posse model will an Enemy ever stand on the mouse's square to attack that other posse member? (IE: Is there ever a time when you don't have to spend a turn setting it up with deliberate Mouse movement into the enemy square?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CivilianNo2 wrote:
"accurately predict where the Enemies are going to go"

Does this imply that the Mouse's square is considered an 'open' square?

If they are targeting another posse model will an Enemy ever stand on the mouse's square to attack that other posse member? (IE: Is there ever a time when you don't have to spend a turn setting it up with deliberate Mouse movement into the enemy square?)
I don't have the rules in front of me right now, but I think that Mouse Form says that you can move through and occupy the same space as Enemies. This means Enemies can legally occupy the Mouse's space. Since there's no reason to believe that an Enemy won't move into a square it legally can occupy (assuming that its an A.I. imperative), then yes Enemies will move over stand on the Mouse (esecpailly if they MUST, in order to follow the rules).

You might be able to make an argument that the Mouse's square doesn't count as "empty" but you'll still need to draw a line from "non-empty" square to "Enemies necessarily cannot move into that square, even if there is a rules thing specifically saying that Enemies can occupy it".

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i remember correctly, once a figure is replaced by a token, then the space the token is in can be used by other miniatures as if empty.
It should be noted in the rules for replacing a hero with a corpse token, and should apply to the mouse form as well as mini is replaced with mouse token upon transformation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls