Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GAMBITO
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone thought about anything for the Cards with victory point in the solo game

Yesterday was my first solo and I disint buy any card that give me points, but I did buy all about terraforming

Any thought about any conversion mode from victory points to terraforming. I don’t wanna skip vp cards all the time. It takes me out of the theme

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hultgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
It is not that hard to win the solo version by terraforming. The hard part is winning with a high score, and then victory points can be important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the challenge in the solo game is figuring out when to buy VP cards and which ones — money is tight in the solo game while a city at the end of the game (if you can afford it) will often give you a nice number of VPs (3+).

As a general rule, I like cards that are useful in some way (give me production of something and/or give me a very useful tag) and that also give me a VP. I also like cards that use steel or titanium that isn't being used to terraform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
fernandocalahorro wrote:
Anyone thought about anything for the Cards with victory point in the solo game

Yesterday was my first solo and I disint buy any card that give me points, but I did buy all about terraforming

Any thought about any conversion mode from victory points to terraforming. I don’t wanna skip vp cards all the time. It takes me out of the theme

People who play solo TM a lot generally play to get a high score along with winning. So play to finish terraforming in 14 generations, but also try to get as high a score as possible.

70-80 points: You won, but didn't do so well.
80-90 points: You won, did pretty well.
90-100 points: You won, did very well.
100+ points: You won, and killed it.

Play to try and break 100 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAMBITO
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank u all

TodY was my 2nd solo . I did 96 points 😃
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is important to note:

-VP is just VP.
-Money production is just money production.
-Terraform Rating, either alone or given by raising a global parameter, is both VP and money production.

Take into account all that when valuating a card, it makes a difference. And just VP's from cards are also important. You can get a good deal such as the card that transforms 1 titanium into 1 ship (equaling 1 VP each, which can be worth 10-14 points by the end). They can also be cheap, such as a card offering 1 VP more for just a few more credits with otherwise similar effects. And near the end of the game, when you are done terraforming, you want to increase your points anyways, which can be with cities and greeneries, but also with cards if you had a few greeneries and most oxygen from card effects. It also helps adding more costs to cards such as negative VP's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam S
msg tools
mb
My variation on solo is if I do not get at least 80 VP with meeting terraforming conditions it is a failure. This makes it so all those bacteria, animal, and VP cards are relevant in solo. It is especially helpful if you want to use the Venus expansion because it is all about VP. If you just want to meet terraforming conditions then half the cards in the deck are useless in solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
starxplor

Rochester Hills
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xaxppzx1 wrote:
My variation on solo is if I do not get at least 80 VP with meeting terraforming conditions it is a failure. This makes it so all those bacteria, animal, and VP cards are relevant in solo. It is especially helpful if you want to use the Venus expansion because it is all about VP. If you just want to meet terraforming conditions then half the cards in the deck are useless in solo.

I have never completed terraforming and not gotten over 80 points. I might consider that an actual challenge, to stay under 80 while still being able to either increase income enough to standard project the terraforming or find and play all of the negative point cards and avoid all the science and Jovian cards that give points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
starxplor wrote:

I have never completed terraforming and not gotten over 80 points. I might consider that an actual challenge, to stay under 80 while still being able to either increase income enough to standard project the terraforming or find and play all of the negative point cards and avoid all the science and Jovian cards that give points.

I’ve done it, but it’s rare. 79 is just the base victory + 23 VPs — that's 14 greenery plus 9 VP more. If you can’t afford a city, then that's possible. If you used some Regolith Eaters to bump the O2 up, then it’s even more possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
starxplor wrote:

Winning and getting under 80 (i.e. in the 70's) is not at all out of the realm of reason if you just barely make it, and get most of your O2 with non greenery sources (works, bacteria), don't play cities, and/or use a lot of -VP cards. The real challenge is winning but getting under 60.

If I was making an extra rule for "you have to score XVPs to win on top of the terraforming", I'd probably go with 90VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Taylor
msg tools
I'm currently rebalancing all the currently released cards to solve this problem. Good game design doesn't give you meaningless choices; singleplayer TM is the one area where this rule isn't followed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaxckLl wrote:
I'm currently rebalancing all the currently released cards to solve this problem. Good game design doesn't give you meaningless choices; singleplayer TM is the one area where this rule isn't followed.

It’s always nice to have an expert drop in the forum. Too bad you weren’t around to explain to the TM design team all the rules they broke in their wildly popular game before release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakija wrote:
Winning and getting under 80 (i.e. in the 70's) is not at all out of the realm of reason if you just barely make it, and get most of your O2 with non greenery sources (works, bacteria), don't play cities, and/or use a lot of -VP cards. The real challenge is winning but getting under 60.

If I was making an extra rule for "you have to score XVPs to win on top of the terraforming", I'd probably go with 90VPs.

Ha! And speaking of which, I just won with 70 VPs (Robinson Industries, Prelude and Colonies, no Venus). Crappy initial card draw, ended up playing an Inventrix sort of game after buying Adaption Technology on the first turn, got out with 1 MC to spare and then only because I drew Nuclear Zone on the last turn. No cities, got six O2 levels from water splitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Taylor
msg tools
@ Steven St John: Wow, way to be a cunt. A game can be very good, and a game can have flaws, the two are not mutually exclusive. Civ is a good example of a PC game which also breaks this rule and has a huge number of meaningless decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaxckLl wrote:

???

Victory Points aren't part of a problem in solo games. Play the game to get victory points when playing solo, and the victory points are then useful, and no need to change the rules. You don't *have* to play for points, but you can, and it doesn't change the game at all (except that you then find some value in the victory point cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaxckLl wrote:
@ Steven St John: Wow, way to be a cunt. A game can be very good, and a game can have flaws, the two are not mutually exclusive. Civ is a good example of a PC game which also breaks this rule and has a huge number of meaningless decisions.

Wow, that was a stronger reaction than I anticipated.

Do you not see a bit of arrogance in the way you phrased your post? Maybe you didn’t intend it, but it came off, to me, that you were saying the designers of TM filled the game with meaningless decisions, so much so that us players of the game would have to redo all the cards just to make it playable.

A good game can have flaws, I agree. Surprisingly, perhaps, a gamer’s ideas about how to fix them might have flaws too.

I don’t mind a little back and forth on the internet, but did you really have to use a misogynistic term to call attention to the fact that you disliked my post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.