Hide
5 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Contact and automatic fire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Rosselli
msg tools
I have just bought the game, read the manual, saw some videos, and now I'm struggle with my first game.

I have the following situation:

I've resolved the PC on the first raw and in the second column I've found an HGM nest (HGM plus an infantry squad); the third column was clear, and in the last one I found a LMG.

Now my question is about the squad in the third column, it has los against the HGM but i can’t understand if it start firing or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve been learning the game over the past few days as well so hopefully I can help.
Yes your unit should fire on the HMG. The reason comes from PDF placement as explained in Section 6.1.1:
Quote:
A non-Engaged unit opens fire (becomes Engaged) with its Basic VOF when it has a spotted enemy unit within range and LOS. This is automatic and mandatory.

This is resolved immediately so you should have placed a PDF after resolving the first PC. The priority would be closest unit then best VOF, so the HMG unit would be targeted.
Note you should have placed the squad in the second row because LOS to the 3rd row is blocked by the Hedgerow/Bocage card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, remeber to remove the "potential combat" marker in row 2, column 2. When the enemy fire crosses an empty card, the PC is removed.

Also, I don't know what you have in Row1, Column 2; if under the paralyzed LAT you have some unit with some firepower, it can also open fire - with pinned VoF, not very dangerous bout could cause crossfire on the german HMG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Rosselli
msg tools
boulou wrote:
I’ve been learning the game over the past few days as well so hopefully I can help.
Yes your unit should fire on the HMG. The reason comes from PDF placement as explained in Section 6.1.1:
Quote:
A non-Engaged unit opens fire (becomes Engaged) with its Basic VOF when it has a spotted enemy unit within range and LOS. This is automatic and mandatory.

This is resolved immediately so you should have placed a PDF after resolving the first PC. The priority would be closest unit then best VOF, so the HMG unit would be targeted.
Note you should have placed the squad in the second row because LOS to the 3rd row is blocked by the Hedgerow/Bocage card.

Thanks, so there is a double Pdf between my squad in second column and the german squad, then the HGM versus the same squad, while is targeted from my another squad on the third column, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ross633 wrote:

Thanks, so there is a double Pdf between my squad in second column and the german squad, then the HGM versus the same squad, while is targeted from my another squad on the third column, right?

There should be a double PDF between your squad in the second column and the HMG. This is because the two German units from the HMG nest Force Package were identified at the same time and your squad starts engaging the unit with best VOF (since both are equally distant from your squad). The German squad has S rating and the HMG has A rating, so the HMG is the preferred target. For the same reason, the US squad in 3rd column will target the HMG (this is not reciprocal since the HMG is already firing at the other US squad).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.