Subject: Bashing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Mobley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit of a circuitous question, but I read a review for the Game of Thrones spinoff of this game and it said that that game "brought several of the issues in Cosmic Encounter (luck, bashing) and made them worst[sic]."

I'll give that reviewer luck, after all I consider Cosmic Encounter to be essentially a chaos simulator (but that's what I like about it, don't consider it an issue), but bashing? I feel like I'm missing something. CE has built-in mechanisms to keep from being able to pile on one player in combat and invasions, and with the cards half the time the tables get turned anyway.

Where is the bashing? What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the bashing? What is the bashing? That's not a term I've ever heard used before, and it's not obvious what either of you are referring to by context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Where is the bashing? What is the bashing? That's not a term I've ever heard used before, and it's not obvious what either of you are referring to by context.

Unless I'm wrong, I would guess it's Leader Bashing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually have a bash when I play Cosmic! It's a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't think I've heard it referred to as "bashing", I think I understand what is being said here. When I hear this complaint, I can't help but think the speaker is so immersed in Euro games exclusively, that he doesn't understand the concept of direct conflict - players directly attacking each other. They're used to "kinder, gentler" games, where interaction is limited to outbidding each other, or grabbing certain limited resources first, or building a more efficient engine, or blocking another players action choices. "Attacking? Combat? Crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you, and hearing the lamentations of their women? I've never heard of such a thing!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's at least two different concepts of what might have been meant by bashing (attacking the leader or direct confrantation in general). So... definitely ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bash scripting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Johnson
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonPeon wrote:
Bash scripting?

That is my least favorite part, so we house-ruled it to python.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perlsonally, I'm a perl guy for scripting. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Mobley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, the original review was very vague on what they meant by "bashing."

I interpreted it as Phil did, that players would gang up on one player to make them lose.

Which I truly cannot understand how it happens in Cosmic Encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh... Have you ever played CE? Unless you've got a very cutthroat group, most games end with everyone grouping up for an easy win against a single player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Mobley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess we roll with different crowds, haha. I've seen two-player ties or single-player wins, but never all but one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen all but one wins a couple times, but it's nowhere near the default. There is someone in a chat I'm in that hates the game and refers to it as a "4v1" so I suspect he's holding a grudge about that happening

I've always found games with "bashing" less mean, or at least way less frustrating... I get to defend myself and you're confronting me to my face. Stealing a resource out from under me because you lucked out going first in turn order is much lower and dirtier. And if you didn't mean to screw up my plans it'll feel even worse shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.