Subject: Maleficent In Depth Strategy BreakDown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Washington Garcia
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Maleficent Breakdown
Maleficent gotta be one of the most difficult ones to play. If you are just throwing curses out and think you will win consistently you got another thing coming. Good players will destroy since Maleficent has the punishing fate decks available. She is at her best one on one. Three more players there are the more you can get fated.
With Maleficent you want to focus on clearing heroes. Especially out of your main two locations. Heroes slow you down considerably and allowed fate cards like sword of truth and once upon a dream to become useful. Getting rid of heroes should always be a priority.

Locations

Forbidden Mountains. Used mainly for moving your spinning wheel or allies and fate

Briar's Rose Cottage. If Forest is being Heroed or if forbidden Mountains is being Heroed. You want to use this location instead especially at the beginning because of the discard.

The Forest. This is your second main location. Where you want to spend most of your time. You can't beat two actions and a discard and three power

King Stefan's Castle. This is your main best location. You get a fate and most importantly this is the only location that has a vanquish which should be your main focus on getting rid of heroes so this location is your number one priority to clear and keep cleared.

Items
Once you put items out they stay out forever so they are powerful because of that

Spinning Wheel. This is your number one card. Your main weapon. This card allows you get rid of heroes and get power back for doing it. Allowing to use that power to get rid of more heroes and putting curses down. And trust me it takes a lot of power to get everything done. You want to move this item where the heroes are and you definitely don't want to destroy heroes without using spinning wheel.

Staff. You want to put this in the Forest for best results. Its a good card. Not as good as spinning wheel but still good.

Raven. Second best card. Mainly used for playing an extra card. Allowing to outpace anyone. Combined with Forest you can play three cards per turn. No other villain can do this. Second choice you can either discard with it if you got a bad hand or move spinning wheel with it. If you set things up correctly you won't need to use him for 3 power but that's another option. You never want to get Raven out unless Prince Philip is already out or you got a firewall up which I will talk about later on. Getting your Raven Philliped is devastating and probably lose you the game.

All the other allies are just Cannon fodder for Spinning Wheel and Clearing heroes from your Realm.

Curses

Green Fire. This is your main Curse and what makes a firewall possible. So to make a firewall you want to put two fires one in Forbidden Mountain and another in Briar's Rose Cottage. This is where you want to keep your Raven. Safe behind the fire where Phillip can't touch him. Oh and the third fire you want to use it towards the end. Three fires combined with a Forest of Thorns equals game over.

Forest of Thorns and Dreamless Sleep. Second best Curse. You usually want to discard them unless you are going for game. If you are going for the win you want to throw as many Curses as you can out. You can potentially throw out three curses out during your last turn.

Effects

Dragon Form. Mainly used for Guards other than they are not that useful

Vanish. I gotta say Vanish is one of the worse cards. First of all your opponent will use this against you and Hero up wherever you are staying. So only use this if you know you can't be hated next turn or if you are going for game and you got three green fires out and you are trying not to move too much.

Conditions

Good if you are playing against a lot of people. Bad if you are playing one on one. If you know you are going to be using them soon keep them. Otherwise discard them.

Fate cards

King Stefan is the worse. Only card that can get rid of a Green Fire. But if he comes out early he is useless.
Philip should be feared. Reason why I invented the firewall.
Aurora. She is the only Hero that can bring another Hero out. She is like a double fate.
Merryweather. You cannot win when she is blocking you. Other than that she is harmless
These are the only four cards that can get rid of an empty Forest of Thorns. If all four of them have been played already you can easily win

Once upon a dream is the main reason why you want to clear all the heroes before you lock it down.
Sword of truth is best used on Guards. But can also be used on the four main heroes. Making them harder to kill

Now that I explained everything I will tell you what I do
First of all I focus on Finding Spinning while also setting allies up. You might want to spread out your allies. To not have a major loss if Phillip shows up.
Second of all set up your firewall. While waiting for the right moment to drop Raven
Third and last Clear all the heroes out while also throwing out as many Curses as you can to win.
That's my strategy guys. I hope you guys enjoyed it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
Merryweather can't stop you from winning, but she does make it harder. You can always move a curse to her location, you just can play one there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Garcia
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
As far as I know the move item action can only move items and allies. Not Curses?. Am I wrong? Is there a thread about this question already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinothegoat wrote:
As far as I know the move item action can only move items and allies. Not Curses?. Am I wrong? Is there a thread about this question already?

From the Maleficent rules folder:

Quote:
Multiple Curses may be played to the same location, and a Curse may be moved using a Move an Item or Ally action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin B
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great breakdown and strategy!

Do you have one for any of the other villains? Specifically Ursula. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Garcia
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Yeah I can make one for Ursula

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.