Popular Tags: [View All]
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
I don't know that it is stated anywhere. But there's been a definite change. Some threads have dozens of deleted posts, where before there was a much smaller number of hidden posts.
In that case, at least you should make it clear, in your original post, what you are talking about. Even having noticed the change, I hadn't answered the pool because I wasn't sure if that was what you meant. Others may have not noticed anything.

BGG doesn't spell out their specific policy, I assume because they are moderating a community with more than a few dedicated rules lawyers. Major changes I've noticed over the past two-three years:

- RSP is no longer allowed to be an unmoderated festering cesspool for birthing toxic posters that seep into the rest of the site.

- Some posts that are moderated and posts that reply to those are deleted, rather than left standing with a suggestion from moderation that you self-delete.

- Consequence of the above is that trainwreck-hunters are outta luck.

- Social issues as they concern games are no longer dropped into the oblivion of RSP - general gaming now also covers talking about issues as they relate to games.

- Consequence of the above is also that moderation takes a really dim view of dismissive, disruptive, derailing posts in those threads. Basically, denying validity of those arguments is a oneway street to moderation town.

- Because of this, alledged jokes and humour that may have flown once is no longer ok.

I'm a-ok with most of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not aware that there is a new moderation system and policy, and so far, this thread hasn't been able to point out that there has been any, apart from in the head of the OP.

If there is a new policy, then let's hear it. I'm probably not affected anyway,though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Zimeon wrote:
Not aware that there is a new moderation system and policy, and so far, this thread hasn't been able to point out that there has been any, apart from in the head of the OP.

If there is a new policy, then let's hear it. I'm probably not affected anyway,though.

There has been a change to how the admins deal with posts that break the rules (they are no longer left visible forever, no matter how vile).

The rules for posts themselves have not been changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't like the fact that you can't see the moderated message.
I guess it's a good way to prevent it being discussed over and over though.
Sometimes it feels exaggerated but so did it before the changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fambans wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

The difference is that objectionable posts are no longer hidden, but deleted, along with any responses to them. It's as if they never existed.

They are not deleted. They are hidden in such a way that only admins can see them. The post still exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about old or new systems, i am just shocked how much is deleted on this website when people express opinions that are not welcome here. This is not a good way to handle discussions.

I mean – different opinions exist, they won't just go away by deleting posts. And everyone should be allowed to say what they want as long as nobody gets insulted directly.

Thats all i say about this. I still love this site, thats why i spend so much time here and also contribute money, but some topics are handled in a very biased way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fambans wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
They are not deleted. They are hidden in such a way that only admins can see them. The post still exists.
Excellent. Even more Orwellian!
That's great to me; it means they can be undeleted when a mistake is made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the "new moderation system" was implemented because far too many bad actors around here figured out how to game the "old moderation system" effectively. For the moment, they haven't figured out how to exploit the "new system," but I'm reasonably sure that before long, they will.

Pete (thinks the "new system" is worse, not better, but has to admit for the time being it is effective)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMunky wrote:
I don't know about old or new systems, i am just shocked how much is deleted on this website when people express opinions that are not welcome here. This is not a good way to handle discussions.

I mean – different opinions exist, they won't just go away by deleting posts. And everyone should be allowed to say what they want as long as nobody gets insulted directly.

Thats all i say about this. I still love this site, thats why i spend so much time here and also contribute money, but some topics are handled in a very biased way.

It's not like we could block people we don't agree with off, right? Like we were grown up able to deal with different opinions in a variety of ways the site and our intelligence already provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fambans wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
fambans wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

The difference is that objectionable posts are no longer hidden, but deleted, along with any responses to them. It's as if they never existed.

Excellent. Even more Orwellian!

Because 1984 was totally about the control of information and expression to stifle racists, sexists, homophobes, and assholes for those that go out of their way to sign up for a for-profit website in a niche hobby.

Please go back and: 1) Read 1984, and 2) Think about what it actually is about. Spoiler alert: This ain't it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
IMunky wrote:
i am just shocked how much is deleted on this website when people express opinions that are not welcome here. This is not a good way to handle discussions.
Derailing discussions is not a good way to handle discussions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
IMunky wrote:
i am just shocked how much is deleted on this website when people express opinions that are not welcome here. This is not a good way to handle discussions.

I don't know what made you quote my piece of statement there but yes of course, derailing is also not the way… good post or whatever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
IMunky wrote:
a1bert wrote:
IMunky wrote:

I don't know what made you quote my piece of statement there but yes of course, derailing is also not the way… good post or whatever?
Now, make guess what those deleted posts usually contain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
IMunky wrote:
a1bert wrote:
IMunky wrote:

That we have to guess is half the problem.

Pete (notes that having to guess who posted that is the second half of the problem)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
IMunky wrote:
a1bert wrote:
IMunky wrote:

Actually because of the way you write i have 0 interest in having a conversation with you so i will just leave this thread now and do other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMunky wrote:

Actually because of the way you write i have 0 interest in having a conversation with you so i will just leave this thread now and do other stuff.

Man, the "everyone should be able to say what they like" crowd are awfully fucking fragile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
IMunky wrote:

Man, the "everyone should be able to say what they like" crowd are awfully fucking fragile.
Dammit...now I have to clean up all this coffee.

Pete (got a good laugh from your post, but the timing wasn't the best)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
IMunky wrote:

You did actually catch that it is not about what, but how right? Also the person who writes that post can write whatever he wants, i am just not in the mood or have any interest in interacting with that.

Also... what was that about derailing again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

The new system is that mods are stretching the site rules to remove posts. A post that contains no personal attacks or vulgarity will be labeled "disruptive" and removed because it does not conform to the preferred narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMunky wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
IMunky wrote:

You did actually catch that it is not about what, but how right? Also the person who writes that post can write whatever he wants, i am just not in the mood or have any interest in interacting with that.

Also... what was that about derailing again?

Well, that other thing lasted a whole 25min
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

The new system is that mods are stretching the site rules to remove posts. A post that contains no personal attacks or vulgarity will be labeled "disruptive" and removed because it does not conform to the preferred narrative.
I'm seeing instances where people are being rude and antagonistic and not being moderated because they're on the "favored side" of a debate, and because the new moderation method isn't well suited to properly deal with that particular transgression.

Pete (doesn't care so much because he's generally on the side of the rude person, but still notices it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
Personal attacks and vulgarity are certainly not the only things against the community rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Personal attacks and vulgarity are certainly not the only things against the community rules.

Yeah, I've been moderated for being antagonistic in general, not at specific individuals. (I hate you all as a collective, I'm sure you're lovely people really).

I once appealed against a suspension on the grounds "I wasn't trolling, I was flaming" but that didn't get anywhere weirdly.

Also, vulgarity isn't banned as long as it's not excessive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
russ wrote:

Yeah, I've been moderated for being antagonistic in general, not at specific individuals. (I hate you all as a collective, I'm sure you're lovely people really).

I once appealed against a suspension on the grounds "I wasn't trolling, I was flaming" but that didn't get anywhere weirdly.

Also, vulgarity isn't banned as long as it's not excessive.
Yeah, I use vulgarity and profanity fairly regularly in small, targeted ways.

Pete (just posted about penises just yesterday)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

The mods are the site rules. They can do whatever they please without stretching a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [56] |