Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Parasite flare vs negotiate compensation ftw rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hi, we had a game where an attacker was at 3 foreign colonies and the player he attacked only had 3 colonies remaining. The defender played negotiate, thereby losing the encounter and their 3rd planet. The attacker played the parasite flare immediately, thereby winning the game with a 5th colony. I feel that the defender who played negotiate should have had a chance to draw cards from the attacker’s hand as this would have been SIMULTANEOUS to losing that 3rd colony, giving him a chance to steal the parasite flare before it could be played. Any thoughts on the timing here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Well, on a recent thread, Bill Martinson posted this timing chart for Resolution, which apparently was included in the 2018 version:

1. Winning offensive ships land
2. Losing ships go to the warp
3. Winning defensive allies receive rewards
4. Winning defensive allies return to colonies
5. Loser who revealed Negotiate collects compensation
6. Encounter cards (and any reinforcements/kickers) are discarded

If this is indeed the intended and official rule, it appear we played it correctly. The player who attacked and won the colony would have been able to play the Parasite flare the moment that the defender's ships went to the warp and he lost his third home planet (Step 2). This means that the defender would never have been able to nab this card as compensation (Step 5), and the game is over as soon as the flare card is resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the it's the same as for that other situation we discussed in the other recent thread. There's no rule saying compensation has to happen first. An optional action (such as the playing of a flare) can happen at any time, before or after any other action, mandatory or otherwise, as long as it obeys the timing specified on the card. I don't have the flare text in front of me, but if there is no restriction on the card (such as "Play only after any compensation is collected"), then he can play it before the compensation.

Before someone takes compensation from you, is generally the better time to play a flare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Apparently the new edition has a lot of rules issues, but I for one enjoy the additional clarity provided by sequencing the resolution phase. I wish I had a copy of the new rulebook to review for myself, but I'll be using these timing rules to resolve most conflicts that come between determining the winner of an encounter and carrying out the various effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/a8/bf...

FFG is good about have their rulebooks online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hundertfrank
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When another player loses the use of his or her power because of having too few home colonies, you may immediately establish a colony on one of his or her home planets with one of your ships.

I don't think a timing chart is needed to give an answer.

You can only collect compensation if and after you lost ships to the warp. The flare is used in the exact moment someone loses his/her power and therefore in the moment the ships are leaving the planet. That is why the flare will be played before compensation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.