Popular Tags: [View All]
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
We've discovered a great game here in France, it's called Carcassonne, a cross between dominoes, monopoly, and Sorry. You build castles and paths and grab as much territory as you can as well as soldiers. it's brilliant, they do a children's version.
I've never seen it in the UK

Comment on this (click bait hyperbole alert!) article https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/dec/20/the-sev....

She may be trolling, but made me smile and reflect a bit anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would it be trolling? A lot of folks don't have a fraction of the same depth in possible references to other games that we do.

If the only appliance I've ever had is a toaster oven then you'd better believe I will compare every new appliance I encounter to a toaster oven!

I got a new toaster oven that heats things in 30 seconds by magic.
I got a new toaster oven that, instead of heating food, keeps it cold!
I got a new toaster oven like thing that washes the dirty dishes!
And I got a new toaster oven that is similar to that dish washing one, but for my clothes!

So many toaster ovens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I got a new toaster oven that, instead of heating food, keeps it cold!

I believe that's called a macrowave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Why would it be trolling? A lot of folks don't have a fraction of the same depth in possible references to other games that we do.

That was my main point.
I didn't want to suggest it was trolling, just that even when it was (it happens, you know) your (and my) observation are valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a minor bit of drama here in the USA a few months back because some blogger "discovered" this "new game" called Puerto Rico and was all offended by the theme and execution.

Pete (and a bunch of gamers rolled their eyes and laughed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
hojoh wrote:
Quote:
We've discovered a great game here in France, it's called Carcassonne, a cross between dominoes, monopoly, and Sorry. You build castles and paths and grab as much territory as you can as well as soldiers. it's brilliant, they do a children's version.
I've never seen it in the UK

Comment on this (click bait hyperbole alert!) article https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/dec/20/the-sev....

She may be trolling, but made me smile and reflect a bit anyway.

Nope I really think this is where board gaming is for a large segment of the UK public.

They are born gamers but miss all of the exposure so board games become Monopoly and perhaps, if you're advanced, Cluedo.

Other notable comments, which I don't believe are jokes but enjoyed:
"We get a new (to us) jigsaw each year."
"Still hold plenty of nostalgia for Mastermind,right colour,wrong place,many an hour playing with the family,good times."

"Can't believe you didn't name check Totopoly!"
"Indeed, or The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game."

"I'm always looking for new board games to play with my family at Christmas (6 adults, usually fairly inebriated). We traditionally start with Chronology as it's everyone's favourite, then we might play Rummikub or Perudo, followed by Payday (because you don't have to think and can gang up on people). It's so hard to spend £40 on something that could easily be vetoed for having too many rules or lasting too long. Oh and anything against a timer really messes with my parents although we will try Articulate now and again."

"I enjoy risk, it's the kind of winner gets all ethos that is reflected in politics and life in general, the best part is when one fellow has only one territory left but trades their cards late game, makes for a very entertaining time."

Incidentally the writer of the article is our own:
Owen Duffy
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yay!

(Hang on games in Chit Chat... well as it's the holidays)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.