Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Correia
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
mb
By the head of Stronghold Games himself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OryxCOSANMg

Potential release date: 2020-2021
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Terraforming Mars: Turmoil, the 5th expansion that adds events, projected for Q4 2019.

It would be nice if the legacy game was easily resetable, since one of the biggest charms of TFM is its high replayability. Since the game is set in the Fryx universe, expect results to happen predictably

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Phoblog wins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I've said for a while that terraforming mars can fit the legacy format very well, with each game being a generation - with different people competing in their own business "game" - and leaving permanent changes to mars for the next generations. It can also have an interesting storyline, maybe mirroring what we already have - from Mars to Venus, to colonies in the solar system and than maybe to interstellar colonies (pack opening when someone plays "interstellar colony ship" and that pack has the entire contents of Fleets: The Pleiad Conflict whistle ) and maybe new surprises as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
Hard pass.

Thanks for the information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles94
France
flag msg tools
Sorry, but what does it mean "Terraforming Mars Legacy" ?

A deluxe all-in box ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artignac wrote:
Sorry, but what does it mean "Terraforming Mars Legacy" ?

A deluxe all-in box ?

The legacy concept is usually about a campaign of games where the conditions change along the way with change of rules and components, both in removal and addition. Usually done in a way that components are destroyed or permanently modified during the game, like adding stickers or tearing cards. You usually get a pack of sealed boxes and/or envelopes to be opened depending on the outcome or progress of the last game in the campaign played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arah wrote:
Also Terraforming Mars: Turmoil, the 5th expansion that adds events, projected for Q4 2019.

It would be nice if the legacy game was easily resetable, since one of the biggest charms of TFM is its high replayability. Since the game is set in the Fryx universe, expect results to happen predictably

Phoblog wins

Interesting. Maybe in your game group(s), but I can not see that outcome is overpowerly common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got into Terraforming Mars, interesting!

...but I'm wary of the legacy concept, as a whole, having been burned badly on it for Risk: Legacy (runaway leader with one faction, no apparent way to stop him).

This, plus the one-and-done nature of Legacy things in general makes me wary about this sort of thing. I play TFM pretty frequently, and while it would be neat to have that personalized copy... I want to know that I could enjoy the game again and again, not one-and-done.

So... convince me, TFM Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me. Hopefully the board is a bigger map projection of Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Legacy as an idea more than in practice. Only Pandemic Legacy 1 has been a real success for my group. Hopefully having a solid existing game to base it on will work to the Fryxeliuses advantage. The legacy games I've been less impressed by were those created from the ground up (SeaFall, Charterstone), although both had some interesting and worthwhile ideas in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
Interesting. Maybe in your game group(s), but I can not see that outcome is overpowerly common.

It doesn't happen in the TFM timeframe. There is a game called Pleiades, set 1000 years into the future, where that corp is still doing fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! My group loved Risk Legacy, Charterstone and Mechs vs Minions. We also played Pandemic Legacy. I have no problem with Legacy games, it is fun unlocking new things and permanently altering board/cards/rulebook etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
woodnoggin wrote:
I like Legacy as an idea more than in practice. Only Pandemic Legacy 1 has been a real success for my group. Hopefully having a solid existing game to base it on will work to the Fryxeliuses advantage. The legacy games I've been less impressed by were those created from the ground up (SeaFall, Charterstone), although both had some interesting and worthwhile ideas in them.

I very much agree. What it very much comes down to as well is how good the narrative is and how well the game integrates with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hefferan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oooh... my regular game group loves TM and legacy games. Very exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Legacy concept is a bit easier to apply to cooperative games as there is no balancing between players to take care of. But Terraforming Mars is a pretty good platform to build on, so I am definitely interested.

woodnoggin wrote:

Pandemic Legacy Season 2 is also pretty good, at least people who have played it say so.

Norsehound wrote:
(runaway leader with one faction, no apparent way to stop him).

Risk Legacy depends even more than vanilla risk on the players to do the balancing work by ganging up on the leader. However, note that factions should not be tied to a player. If you haven't played through the game yet, you may find a rule which helps to mitigate placement and faction advantages a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fry-shut-up-take-my-money.gif
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
Hard pass.

Same here. Legacy is becoming like a virus, infecting all games. ...says the guy not interested, but likely to get Fenris for Scythe anyway. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars: Turmoil sounds interesting — apparently adding some more conflict or take that elements to the game — but I wonder how well it will be received. People like Terraforming Mars because they are creating something — the existing take-that elements are among the least popular parts of the game. Retrofitting in more negative interaction among players as a fifth expansion to a very popular game may be providing something that the game's audience just might not be looking for…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ from Board Game Gumbo

Lafayette
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
www.boardgamegumbo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the OP for posting the link and everybody for watching. You could see how surprised I was when Stephen announced it! He’s a great guest and friend and I look forward to seeing the development of the Legacy version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Insta-buy.

Love the concept. Just started games of Seafall and Charterstone and they’ve been fascinating experiences so far. My group totally digs TM and I think it will be even a bigger hit than those because it’s based on existing material that they are familiar with rather than brand new worlds.

Very excited for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree legacy is a virus, we already have like 9 legacy games!!!!!!! This is b9nkers, each year we have 1000 new games and 3 of those are legacy, seriously the industry got corrupted and they force me to buy every legacy game that come out without even letting me play one of my other hundreds of games... how can one survive in a world like this???????

Sarcasm level here is really high, folks hahahaha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Arah wrote:

Phoblog wins

Resetable? YOU MEAN LIKE A CAMPAIGN GAME!! OMG.. what a novel concept. A Campaign game. They have never existed before. At least if you would believe those who drink the koolaid about legacy games that's what you would think.

No... you couldn't have a campaign in a game... That's crazy talk.. you need to destroy/permanently alter games and call it "legacy".

What a bunch of bs this would be if it's a true legacy style game. They already charge WAY to much for the base game compared to the shit quality components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's gonna be a long wait until 2020, but I could not be more excited! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MLowrey wrote:
Terraforming Mars: Turmoil sounds interesting — apparently adding some more conflict or take that elements to the game — but I wonder how well it will be received. People like Terraforming Mars because they are creating something — the existing take-that elements are among the least popular parts of the game. Retrofitting in more negative interaction among players as a fifth expansion to a very popular game may be providing something that the game's audience just might not be looking for…

Yes, he said it's about conflict, but he didn't say a whole lot about the mechanics other than there are "going to be events". Could be more attack cards, could be global events where everybody has to pay in to avoid setbacks, or the event could be a squirrel running across the board and knocks all the player markers around. Probably the squirrel thing.

If it involves more attacks, the people who complain about the attack cards won't buy it, and the people who enjoy TM for what it is will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.