8 Posts

KeyForge: Call of the Archons» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Please give some advices for this deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
giovanni ciampi
msg tools
mb
Hi there! So far i have bought fours deck and i have been relatively lucky, as i like all four, however this one was kinda a letdown:

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/04a1892d-a2b7-4165...

What you think about that? Ideally i like a lot the idea of 4 Effervescent Principle deck, however the rest of the deck feels very narrow strategically. I can only enjoy success when i'm able to field some strong armored Sanctum frontline that can reap while attacking creatures if needed. However i really need some lucky draw to pull that off (as it would still suffers a lot from one single sweeper), as the Logos part of the deck i got really does not help that much when it comes to card advantage (and nigh to 0 when it comes to archives). The untamed side of the deck is relatively good, however all an opponent got to do is snipe my witch and/or my Pixie, and even that little of a combo i could pull off gets completely neutered.

I had lot of troubles trying to win this deck against deck with plenty of steal and kill effects (not to mention sweepers). What could i do against these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably nothing. Some decks just stink. You may have confirmed this about this deck. Some decks stink more thank others. Some only against a certain type. Not all decks are created equal. You can retire the deck permanently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best I can see is that this deck is trying to be controlling. The Effervescent Principles mean that you can stop an enemy from stockpiling too much amber in front of you so you can slow down a fast starting deck and/or cut an opponent down after forging yourself. Since you have 4 of them, don't be afraid to use them even if it means a 1 or 2 amber swing in your favor. Vespilon Theorist and Dextre seem to be made for each other (whenever Dextre dies, you know what is on top of your deck).

I agree with your assessment that Sanctum should be used to control the board as they tend to be tougher creatures with armor (Bulwark helps keep your other creatures, even non sanctum like Murmook and Witch of the Eye). The Radiant Truth and Bigtwig means you can stunlock quite a few of your opponents creatures.

Your Untamed is probably your best house. You have full moon and several Untamed creatures. You should be able to pull off a Full Moon and 2-3 creature drop to hopefully get yourself to 7 amber so you can forge out of turn with Chota Hazri. Mimicry is a very underrated card in my opinion, as your opponent does tend to build up several good options in their discard pile that you can use against them. Witch of the Eye is just too good, your opponents will need to focus it when it comes out.

You have 13 passive Amber generation on cards which is a bit above average so even if the card itself doesn't help that much, you still get the amber generation plus you have Glorious Few, Full Moon, Lifeweb to generate even more.

That being said, it doesn't look like the strongest deck but it should be able to win a few. I suggest you try it out on Crucible online and see how it does. It may surprise you as several of my decks have me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giovanni ciampi
msg tools
mb
There is more to Effervescent Principles than what meet the eyes. I like how annoying it can be, however it comes for with a good deal of downsides:

1) It sounds powerful enough to occupy a spot in your hand for a long time

2) Most often than not, you want to play it when you are at disadvantage, that is, opponent got lot of amber, while you don't. If the opponent used mostly actions or combat to get these, you may have hampered him quite meaningfully. However if the opponent is just reaping thanks to a good board position, he will just keep doing that unencumbered. Because, probably...

3) Calling Logos for use the Principle is not going to give you that much else to do, unless you got an unusually strong Logos board position for some reason (which i don't think can be the case of my deck anyway)

Whatever. I will try to give this deck some chances. Hopefully i won't play against decks full of killing everytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are enough Effervescent Principles that you'll probably have them when you need them. You will probably want to play Logos on the turns where you forge a key. Dextre will help the turns be a bit more meaningful.

As said before, your Untamed is strong. Mimicry is great.

You've got a deck with quirks, which is what the game is supposed to be about. Play it in 3-game matches and watch your opponent try to play it without your experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giovanni ciampi
msg tools
mb
Well today i was able to force a Mimicry -> Command the Weak + Witch of the Eye lockdown on my opponent devil, plus i realized that against my deck direct damage cards (and on minor note, scary attackers) tend to be quite dead because a good deal of my creatures are sturdy either by themselves or with help from the Sanctum. It does seems that the deck is not that weak after all, which is good. A 4 Effervescent Principles deck is simply too annoyingly fun to give up about it laugh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't be sure of what you did for a lockdown, but it sounds like you played Control the Weak twice on one turn with different houses, which doesn't work like you'd expect.

House Choice wrote:
If a player is faced with two (or more) “must choose” mandates, the player may choose either of those options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giovanni ciampi
msg tools
mb
No. Simply played mimicry into command over and over until he could do nothing but pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.