Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Maximum Apocalypse» Forums » General

Subject: Scavenge Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Important preface: I have not played the game yet. I'm waiting for my son to get it for Christmas.

I've read the PDF of the original rules and the Gothic Horror rules and watched a number of videos.

It seems the original rules allowed multiple Scavenge attempts on the same tile on the same turn. As I understand it, this could make the game too easy. (Rolling Solo's video has the prison right next to the van. He didn't need to go to any other tile for the whole game.)

It seems that the rule was changed to once per turn per tile, though honestly that seems like it would ramp up the difficulty too much in the other direction. From those who have played, am I wrong about that?

Furthermore, there is a reference to Exhausted tokens in Gothic Horrors, but, as far as I can tell, no explanation of them anywhere in the rules. I found a comment somewhere that they are used to mark a tile where an "Empty" card is drawn to mark that you can't Scavenge there anymore. Is this accurate?

Are *both* these rule changes supposed to be in effect? Are they all just "options"? Like many people here, I'd like to know I'm playing the "right" way before changing anything.

Thanks! Looking forward to playing this! I love the theme and design so much I ordered the KS copy of Gothic Horrors before I even found a copy of the core game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Scavenge: Once per turn per tile and I mark the tile with a white cube. After 3 scavenges on one tile you must do a stealth test in order to see if you attract any enemies or not.

For me, if a player's character has an innate scavenge ability it does not count toward the 3 cube limit nor do they do a stealth test for that innate scavenge ability. So a player with the scavenge ability could use that ability and then do a regular scavenge also, thus getting (technically) two scavenges a turn.

The Exhausted tokens in Gothic Horror were a dev response to folks saying that scavenge was way too easy and exploitable.

Personally I like "my" rules and find they work quite well. I put "my" in quotes because I'm certain I did not come up with those ideas myself; I most likely saw them in a thread here on BGG or reddit or somewhere.

*edit to change to 'enemies' from 'zombies'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the rule changes in the second edition of the rules. Searching one tile multiple times felt broken and destroyed the tension of the game.
This is my favorite game. Always different. Always interesting. Always a challenge.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Raygun1966 wrote:
I liked the rule changes in the second edition of the rules. Searching one tile multiple times felt broken and destroyed the tension of the game.
This is my favorite game. Always different. Always interesting. Always a challenge.


I agree, once per turn per tile works great. Without that, way too easy.

Great game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Do I have the Exhausted rules right? Do those work in conjunction with the once per tile/per turn rule?

(My copy just arrived today...but I have to wrap it and put it under the tree! )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crespin Villarreal

Michigan
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
Raygun1966 wrote:
I liked the rule changes in the second edition of the rules. Searching one tile multiple times felt broken and destroyed the tension of the game.
This is my favorite game. Always different. Always interesting. Always a challenge.


I agree, once per turn per tile works great. Without that, way too easy.

Great game!


Same here. Given this, just wondering how others interpret the “free scavenge on reveal” now? As the 1 scavenge allowed but doesn’t count as an action, or as after the free action scavenge you can still do your 1 scavenge on that tile?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I would think "free" is free; you still get to scavenge on your turn. Makes thematic sense too, since such places are places where it would be easier to find useful materials.

(I get to actually play in a couple days!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Riggs
msg tools
mb
Timedad wrote:
sixthecat wrote:
Raygun1966 wrote:
I liked the rule changes in the second edition of the rules. Searching one tile multiple times felt broken and destroyed the tension of the game.
This is my favorite game. Always different. Always interesting. Always a challenge.


I agree, once per turn per tile works great. Without that, way too easy.

Great game!


Same here. Given this, just wondering how others interpret the “free scavenge on reveal” now? As the 1 scavenge allowed but doesn’t count as an action, or as after the free action scavenge you can still do your 1 scavenge on that tile?


I've been playing it as that free scavenge on reveal doesn't count towards the one scavenge per turn rule. I interpreted it as a card effect, not an action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Follow-up question:

The alternate Hunter can Scavenge from any pile as an action.

1) Does this mean he can scavenge on a spot without a scavenge icon?
2) Does this count as his scavenge for the turn (i.e., the choice of pile is the real "power") or can he use his innate ability (i.e. scavenge) once and one more additional scavenge?

FWIW, I think the answers are:
1) No.
2) He can scavenge twice for two actions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.