Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darek C
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello,

I am wondering if to invest in the Runebound 3rd edition line.
But I would mostly play with my kid so can you comment how old were your kids when you started playing Runebound 3ed with them?

Another question is about expansions.
I heard Unbreakable Bonds is a must.

Is there anywhere a brief explanation how these affect or improve rather the base game? I am interested mostly in opinions than hard facts - do you consider any one of them as a must have? Or can you guys share your perspective on your feelings toward the expansions and which ones you love, which ones are not needed ?

My son is currently 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
7?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mansour
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Darek

I would surely invest in it, I love Runebound, my kids also love it, my daughter (4 the first time she played) loves the character Lyssa, and has even started painting her. My son, who was also 4 the first he played, loved Hawthorne.

I do all the reading, and I change my voice to get them into the game mood, and the combat system is easy for them to understand, and alternating monsters between them makes it fun for them too, my son likes it especially if anything even remotely resembling a dragon shows up, and will act out the monster, sounds and all.

They will usually give up and start getting bored around 45 minutes into it, but my they are still 6 and 5. This is fine because I can then continue on my own to the end. I think your 7 year old will appreciate it more.

I have all the expansions, and I have not played all of them yet, but I do not have a favorite honestly, but all are very nice.

If RPG'ing is something you have also been considering, then I would also recommned Hero Kids, a very simple but fun RPG that my kids absolutely enjoy, and it is print and play, so you will print a few pages of exactly what you need, and you will have a blast.

have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coin22 wrote:
Another question is about expansions.
I heard Unbreakable Bonds is a must.

Definitely not a "must." Not unless you have your heart set on playing cooperatively.
Now, the game is competitive, but you can't attack other players (for the most part) so it is a lot like multi-player solo. What UB provides is more options for solo/coop play, but it's not a must.

Right now, Runebound is pretty cheap on Amazon so I wouldn't delay in picking up just the base game and playing it ASAP. It plays perfectly well right out of the box, and you can determine if it's something your family will continue to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All you gotta do is let the kid win and make the game fun and he'll love it.

Kids that age can get real attached to their characters in rpg like games. It's a real drag for them when their dude gets whacked. You might have to fudge the occasional pog toss to keep it fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter was 11 or 12 when we started playing. Mansour seems to have put his finger on the likely trouble point with kids just at or below the "age of reason" (ca. 7)--attention span. This game will usually take a couple of hours for a two-player session, and some kids might need a breather if they're going to get to the end.

The co-op possibilities make it even more fun to play with kids. I think the Margath scenario from the base game, with Unbreakable Bonds co-op rules, would be my top choice for younger players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we have done when introducing some of these longer story games to younger kids is treat it kind of like a book. Play for a while, and if the kid starts getting antsy finish the turn, leave it set up and come back to it later or the next day. If it captures their attention/imagination, they will be asking you for the next session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play with my kid, but I would think 7 is perfectly fine to play with. You may have to help him with some stuff, but there's nothing crazy complex in there.

Here's a good review of Unbreakable Bonds.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865686754/Game-review-Ru...

Basically, turns it from a competitive race to a true co-op. Also makes the enemy monsters more autonomous, where before you would plan their moves for them. Now, they follow a "program" deciding in what order to do actions.

Also adds some extra characters and some new scenarios.

In regards to the others, they're all good.

Caught in a Web - new character, equipment, and new scenario to fight.

Fall of the Dark Star - new character, equipment, and new scenario to fight. NOTE: This one is a PVP only scenario, so maybe best to skip this one.

Mountains Rise - character and equipment only expansion

Guilded Bladed - character and equipment only expansion

If I was to suggest a buy order, Unbreakable Bonds is a good start, if you don't want to plan the monsters moves. Then pick up more enemies or characters depending on which character you like most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
To add a few comments about the expansions:

Like most previous posters have said, I would definetively get Unbreakable Bonds first, since it gets you not only extra heroes, skills and items, increasing the variability of the game, and the cooperative/solo missions, but also adds the automated combat for the monsters, which I think is great no matter how you play.

If you are looking to platy cooperatively (or solo), my next suggestion would be Caught in a Web, since the cooperative version of the scenario is included in Unbreakable Bonds, but you still need the cards from this expansion to play it. Plus, the extra hero is my personal favorite.

If you still want to add more equipment, skills and characters, both Mountains Rise and Guilded Bladed are very similar. Mountains Rise (my personal favorite of the two) gives you more spirit skills (the blue ones), and items that focus on movement, exploring and charging (I personally think this is one of the best items set for the game). Gilded Blade gives you more intellect skills (the yellow ones) and items that focus on trading, shopping and getting more gold (still cool, but not as powerful as the ones in Mountains Rise).

Since I am not interested in PVP, I have not tried Fall of the Dark Star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Slabon
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unbreakable Bonds is a great expansion because it adds the AI playmats and casting runes for each of the different enemy classes. I use it when playing solo and in multiplayer games. With that expansion, there is no confusion about what the enemy should do in combat and it removes the feeling that the enemy is being played unfairly.

Fall of the Dark Star adds PVP is not necessary - I do not own this expansion because I am not interested in PVP.

Caught in a Web is a great scenario expansion, and The Gilded Blade and Mountains Rise both add new characters, skills and assets. These are not must have but give you more variety in the game. The characters are really cool!

Enjoy playing the game with your daughter! Wesolych Swiat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.