Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Necromunda: Underhive» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gang wars books VS new Rulebook and Gang book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
markko ghost
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello!

I have a simple question. Do I need all 4 old Gang war books or is everything well covered in the new Necromunda: Rulebook and in Necromunda Gangs of The Underhive?

I have 2 books (Gang war 1 and 2). Today I wanted to buy Gang war 3 and 4, but I figured out that these "old" books aren't availible anymore on GW website. I found just these two new books (a little expensive). And now I don't know if it's better to find Gang war 3 and 4 or just buy these new books.

I am new in Necromunda (I bought the game 2 months ago) so...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
You'll want the new books. They clean up some of the rules and combined all 4 Gang War books.

Some more information on the books
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/12/14/necromunda-ne...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These books are great to have. But, not must have. Unless you desire to have the most up-to-date rules. In a format that makes it much easier to find things that are otherwise spread out across a base rulebook and four Gang War supplements. And, you want ALL the rules. For instance, if you don't want the latest Delaque gang rules, you don't need the new Gang rulebook just for that.

Me? I love the game. And, though I have the box set and all 4 Gang Wars, I had to have the two new books. And, they do not disappoint. But, I routinely play opponents who never bought a single rulebook/Gang War book. And, still wont. They use the free "illegal" pdf. It really depends on what you want. If your group wants the latest and greatest rules, then you need the new books. If you don't, you don't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was more disappointed that before even receiving the new books (which I ordered just to have the rules all in one place), they have already released errata for it - not just an FAQ, but the description of the download says errata . . . that's a bit disappointing considering what GW charges for their rules. But it will be nice to have to have the rules in a single book, organized (hopefully somewhat) more coherently without having to have 4 books to reference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a whole other issue. The backstory behind the game's revival is apparently a soap opera that has not yet been fully resolved. But, nearly so.

As for the OP's original question? Armed with the box set rulebook and the first Gang War, you can campaign forever. The next three Gang Wars expand on that (especially Gang War 4 with the Dominion campaign). The two new rulebooks refine and define the state-of-the-art of the game. And, insidiously and cleverly, they divided enough between them that you need both to have it all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Searles
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
but the description of the download says errata . . . that's a bit disappointing considering what GW charges for their rules.


It's three sentences in two books with thousands of words

Full hardback rulebooks errata:

NECROMUNDA: RULEBOOK

ERRATA
Page 75 – Maintain Control (Simple) The second sentence should read: “Continuous Effect expires at the beginning of this fighter’s activation.

Page 115 – Two-day Events, Equipment The second sentence should read: “Additionally, gangs may purchase any item from the Rare Trade chart at the cost specified that is Rare (11) or below…”

NECROMUNDA: GANGS OF THE UNDERHIVE
ERRATA

Page 124 – Blunderbluss Add the Template trait to the grape shot and purgation shot profiles.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Marquevielle
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
seloteyp wrote:
I have a simple question. Do I need all 4 old Gang war books or is everything well covered in the new Necromunda: Rulebook and in Necromunda Gangs of The Underhive?

I have 2 books (Gang war 1 and 2). Today I wanted to buy Gang war 3 and 4, but I figured out that these "old" books aren't availible anymore on GW website. I found just these two new books (a little expensive). And now I don't know if it's better to find Gang war 3 and 4 or just buy these new books.


Get the new books.
The have made the 4 Gang War books (and original rulebook) completely obsolete. The new books have all the rules and are better written, better organized, (almost) not self-contradictory and have way less mistakes.

You could technically get Gang War 3 and 4, then go through the trouble to learn which book has which rule and which version takes precedent over the other, and than add all the changes suggested in the latest FAQ, and you would still be missing a lot of stuff from the new books (including the entire Delaque gang.)

So, to sum up: get the new books


About the FAQ: yes, it's a shame that one is needed for what is essentially a huge erratum already (the Template trait has been missing from the Blunderbuss profiles since Gang War 4), but what really bothers me is that the 3 points they chose to address are just a few among many. Let's hope they will soon update this FAQ to add all the missing errata and clarifications that are needed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorgor wrote:
seloteyp wrote:
I have a simple question. Do I need all 4 old Gang war books or is everything well covered in the new Necromunda: Rulebook and in Necromunda Gangs of The Underhive?

I have 2 books (Gang war 1 and 2). Today I wanted to buy Gang war 3 and 4, but I figured out that these "old" books aren't availible anymore on GW website. I found just these two new books (a little expensive). And now I don't know if it's better to find Gang war 3 and 4 or just buy these new books.


Get the new books.
The have made the 4 Gang War books (and original rulebook) completely obsolete. The new books have all the rules and are better written, better organized, (almost) not self-contradictory and have way less mistakes.

You could technically get Gang War 3 and 4, then go through the trouble to learn which book has which rule and which version takes precedent over the other, and than add all the changes suggested in the latest FAQ, and you would still be missing a lot of stuff from the new books (including the entire Delaque gang.)

So, to sum up: get the new books


About the FAQ: yes, it's a shame that one is needed for what is essentially a huge erratum already (the Template trait has been missing from the Blunderbuss profiles since Gang War 4), but what really bothers me is that the 3 points they chose to address are just a few among many. Let's hope they will soon update this FAQ to add all the missing errata and clarifications that are needed.

You make a good case, but you overstate why. Yes, the two new books are beautiful. And, easy to use. And, logically laid out. And, pricey. And, inconveniently, two hardbacks. So, take up space, and heavy to lug around. And, not perfect.

BUT, once again (with feeling), the two new rulebooks DO NOT make anything obsolete. At best, they are refinements of previous rulebooks. NOT re-writes. NOT new editions. In fact, they leave out a bit from the previous rulebook and Gang Wars. They DO NOT change the game in any significant way. Besides, this is Necromunda. You ain't gonna compete in the Annual Intergalactic Necromunda Championship. Cause there ain't one, and never will be. Buy them if you want them. I think they are well worth it! But, you DO NOT need them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triptico Analítico
msg tools

Can someone, with the new Rulebook and old Rulebook, please answer me this:

Have been the original 5 or 6 missions available on the Necromunda Underhive boxed set rule book, adapted to campaign play?


Cheers!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quico wrote:

Can someone, with the new Rulebook and old Rulebook, please answer me this:

Have been the original 5 or 6 missions available on the Necromunda Underhive boxed set rule book, adapted to campaign play?


Cheers!

Yes, all six are there. At a quick glance they seem more or less the same as the original, but with added rules for rewards (money, exp, and rep).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Marquevielle
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
You make a good case, but you overstate why. Yes, the two new books are beautiful. And, easy to use. And, logically laid out. And, pricey. And, inconveniently, two hardbacks. So, take up space, and heavy to lug around. And, not perfect.

BUT, once again (with feeling), the two new rulebooks DO NOT make anything obsolete. At best, they are refinements of previous rulebooks. NOT re-writes. NOT new editions. In fact, they leave out a bit from the previous rulebook and Gang Wars. They DO NOT change the game in any significant way. Besides, this is Necromunda. You ain't gonna compete in the Annual Intergalactic Necromunda Championship. Cause there ain't one, and never will be. Buy them if you want them. I think they are well worth it! But, you DO NOT need them.


The two new books combined take something like 200Mo on my drive and are as heavy to lug around as my phone is (yay for ePub!) They are pricey though, I'll give you that, but a way better deal than the Gang War books.
Even if you don't like ePubs, that's two hardbacks (totaling about 350 pages) versus 5 softback and a booklet (totaling more than 400 pages)... not much of a difference.

They are far from perfect (as I said, a FAQ update is needed), but miles ahead of the mess that were the Gang War books.

You and I have a different notion of what a rewrite is. Those books have the same rules as the Gang War books but better written, with included clarifications and errata. If it's not a rewrite, I don't know what is. They are the 1.0 version to the beta that were the Gang War books.

If you get the new books, you don't need the Gang War books anymore, that's the very definition of obsolescence. The only things you won't find in the new books are the Badzone Delta-7 rules (that should be released as a free pdf anytime now), the Turf War rules (that were terrible and have been abandoned by GW) and a few scenarios. On the other hand, the new books have a few stuff that you can't find anywhere else (Delaque pet and brute, and house sub-plots)

When faced with the same choice as the OP (either get the new books or get Gang War 3 and 4 and somehow source the Delaque booklet if you didn't get the corresponding White Dwarf), the answer is simple: get the new books. There is no point in getting more Gang War books now.

If you already have the four Gang War books then... well, it probably indicates that you don't mind messy rulesets, so you may want to keep them and try and update them using the latest FAQ. But you should know you are missing a few things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said, I mostly agree with you. And, I'm not arguing the point. Normally, I would counsel buying the latest and greatest rulebooks. I think that makes the most sense in the short and long run. But, the OP has three books, and buying the other two Gang Wars on ebay is a bunch cheaper. It is a viable option.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.