Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Bruno
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see that the rules indicate that a bomber is shot down if all of its engines are knocked out. I'm considering a house rule that states that it's forced down if its speed is reduced to below zero by engine damage. For example, a Lancaster (normal speed 14) has two engines INOP and takes damage to a third. The speed rules would indicate a loss of 15 speed which would make its speed negative. I read this as meaning that the Lancaster can no longer exceed stall speed. Am I misreading this? Is this already completely taken into account in the Bomber Loss to Damage table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I’m aware u only apply loss of speed to ur fighter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that house rule. No, bombers also suffer loss in speed if engines are damaged or out. That’s one of the reasons you are still able to engage them on a subsequent pass if u both have damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brunowe wrote:
I see that the rules indicate that a bomber is shot down if all of its engines are knocked out. I'm considering a house rule that states that it's forced down if its speed is reduced to below zero by engine damage. For example, a Lancaster (normal speed 14) has two engines INOP and takes damage to a third. The speed rules would indicate a loss of 15 speed which would make its speed negative. I read this as meaning that the Lancaster can no longer exceed stall speed. Am I misreading this? Is this already completely taken into account in the Bomber Loss to Damage table?

Reminds me of the old joke where the plane keeps losing engines and getting delayed and the guy goes, "I hope the 4th engine doesn't quit, we'll be up here all day!"

Bill, really interesting point. I'll be honest, I never considered the fact that with enough engine damage, the speed drops (by rule) would reduce speed to zero, and that this could happen with still an engine and a half left running. It just never came up in testing - a shot up bomber with a lot of engine damage was always going slower than you, that's what we were concerned with.

However, the speed drop due to engine damage is a somewhat arbitrary abstraction. The whole intent of speed and speed reduction in the game is to have a reasonably accurate measure of the ability to intercept. I could "fix" this by making speed drops 2/4 for damage/out. But the real fix is to just ignore a speed of zero (or less) for purposes of falling out of the sky, insomuch as it's an abstracted reduction. Think of it as his speed isn't -really- zero, it's just really really slow compared to your plane, if that makes sense. A plane with 1.5 engines left should be able to have a chance at making it home (although notice with the rule of loss due to battle damage, he'll have a lot of negative modifiers.)

Cheers,
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.