Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
See Threebilbo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, everyone!

I'm an eager yet relatively inexperienced gamer. I've played a bunch of games only once or twice over a period of several years and am still figuring things out. I have a fairly small collection. I have a definite preference for thematic games.

All this means...I don't think I'm very good at strategic gaming and I'd like to improve my thinking! I'd love to get better at and be able to better appreciate Eurogames. I am going to be doing most of my gaming solo for now, and was wondering if anyone could give me any recs for games that I can play by myself that might help my strategic/longterm thinking skills.

I'm considering picking up a game after Christmas and was just wondering what you guys think. Some games I am considering include Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy; Aeon's End; Imperial Settlers; and Spirit Island. Do any of these sound like a good bet?

I'm excited to be a part of the BGG community, and thanks for your help in advance. I apologize for the rambling post, but would really appreciate some advice. Take care!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
For your reading enjoyment 2018 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games (100-1) And Bonus (101-200)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
XendoBreckett wrote:

Advice: don't get any game mainly because it is popular on BGG. What other people like may have nothing to do with what you like. Part of your education is learning how to interpret other people's opinions as to how they might relate to your preferences. Buy slow, and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I play solo is The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game. It's a solid game, made better if you are fan of the IP. I've played it with others, but actually prefer playing solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Terraforming Mars — it's a medium weight game that plays well solo. Your objective is to terraform the planet in 14 generations (turns) and you have limited resources to it. You have to choose which corporation to play (each has distinct advantages), which cards to keep (that costs money), and then which cards to play when (which also costs money).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maquis is a game to check out. Lighter than some of the other games you are looking at. Free to print and play. I believe you can also play it as an app -- but be sure to read the rules before you start. This is a short game (20 minutes or so) that has a lot of variety -- different missions, different difficulty levels. And due to this variety, it requires the player to think in different ways. The rules do not explain the strategy, so it's a test of the player's ability to figure out how things in the game can be used together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Eriksson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
Civil engineer Architecture
badge
Civil engineer Architecture
mbmbmbmbmb
V-commandos - stealth puzzle/strategy.
Legends of andor- puzzle/rpg
they are around medium complexity 2.5 in weight

Also check out the Sherlock holmes games one of them is top 200. Not a games game but it is fun solving mysteries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kirkroberts wrote:
XendoBreckett wrote:

Advice: don't get any game mainly because it is popular on BGG. What other people like may have nothing to do with what you like. Part of your education is learning how to interpret other people's opinions as to how they might relate to your preferences. Buy slow, and good luck!

This is excellent advice.

OP: Welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hostage Negotiator

Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp

Disaster on Everest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Nakauye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true but this a great list of games that are solo friendly. You are asking about a style of play that is unique and the top 20 all play very well solo and have very good solo rules straight out of the box. I play solo regularly, even built a game table so I could pause it I find these list invaluable in getting an idea as to what I want to buy next. Just read the comments to understand the pros and cons.

I noticed you put Spirit Island. Which is my #3 solo games and it is one of the hardest. The great part is it scales it’s difficultly extremely well. It is a deep thinker though.

When I read your post I just I thought of Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game, a heavy themed game that is quite challenging, but is of a style that is easy to learn and understand... deck building. I find deck building games to be some of the easiest to explain, learn and engage new gamers. This is my favorite, because of the theme.

If you like heavy theme with a campaign, since you listed pandemic season 1. Might I suggest Gloomhaven or Arkham Horror: The Card Game, both great campaigns with heavy themed stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Terraforming Mars

I’d also add Snowdonia - which is a terrific worker placement game that plays great solo. I started playing it early on in my board game life and still enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
See Threebilbo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These all seem like great suggestions! Thanks, everyone!

I'm actually getting Gloomhaven for my birthday/Christmas (mid-December birthday, so a couple family members clubbed in to get me a copy). I'm sooooo excited.

Yeah, I'm big on theme. I did my graduate work in literature, so it's important to me that a game...I don't know...feels right, or at least true to what it says it will be. If that involves more dice than your average Euro, I don't have a problem with it, as long as I get to do at least some thinking.

But anyway, I've heard of Legends of Andor and remember giving it some thought. I might return to that. I reeeeeally want Spirit Island (theeeeme plus lots of different spirits) but am worried that it might be too hard.

I've had Imperial Assault for a couple of years but never got a chance to play it. I recently downloaded the app, though, and am looking forward to trying it by myself.

Also, let me apologize if I'm doing the posting/replying thing wrong. I must say that the format and layout here aren't too intuitive for me.

ANYWAY, thanks again, everyone. I'll definitely spend some time looking at those lists. Keep the suggestions coming, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedom: The Underground Railroad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Nakauye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s not that base spirit Island is hard, it is the optional adversary/scenario that can alter difficulty. On a 10 point scale base is 3-4, Gloomhaven I would say is a 7. But spirit island can be upped to 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
See Threebilbo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome! It's good to know Spirit Island can be scaled; I'm dying to try it. It's very near the top of my list. First among equals, as it were.

So, some other games I've seen that look neat are:

Lords of Hellas (again, theme-alicious, and I'm fond of the Greek myths)
Albion's Legacy (SUPER great theme; I took a lot of medieval lit courses in undergrad, but the mechanics seem to be a little boilerplate from reviews I've seen)
Scythe (looks really hard but awesome...I dunno)
Escape from 100 million BC (just looks zany)
Arkham Horror (still not sure; Eldritch Horror was okay but seemed just a bit overstuffed, and I only somewhat like Lovecraft)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
See Threebilbo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I've picked Spirit Island and am waiting for it to arrive.

This is a tangent, but I just opened Gloomhaven up yesterday and am thrilled...but also a little overwhelmed. As a new player, how many characters would it be best for me to control for my first campaign? I kind of want to do a four-hero party, but I don't want the monsters to be insane.

Thanks so much for all your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceCorp was just released by GMT and is a euro card driven game. I mention it to you because its solo play was not an after thought, but was designed specifically with this in mind. As a matter of fact, the game comes with two rule books - a one player and a multi-player. It’s not as complex as most GMT games, so I think it is likely to be to your liking. Certainly is less fiddly then Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seethreebilbo wrote:
This is a tangent, but I just opened Gloomhaven up yesterday and am thrilled...but also a little overwhelmed. As a new player, how many characters would it be best for me to control for my first campaign? I kind of want to do a four-hero party, but I don't want the monsters to be insane.
While I think Gloomhaven is the most enjoyable with three players, for solo play I wouldn't recommend playing more than two characters.

(Ditto for Spirit Island, btw. In fact you should probably begin by playing each of the spirits alone first to get a better idea how they work).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.