Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

How different are the solo and multiplayer modes? Will I have difficulty learning the multiplayer rules after learning the solo game? Are there many differences and edge cases to remember?

The two rulebooks is a really nice touch, but I'm curious how much close reading I'll have to do to decipher the differences between them.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just got the game and played a solo game yesterday (lots of fun) and playing with a group tonight. I read both rule books and although there are some differences they don't appear to be major - probably the biggest I see is using other players bases/infra in multi-player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only a few differences. In multiplayer, you can use your opponent's bases (Spaceports and Industrial are particularly important) and infra, giving them a reward. I think the "First Beyond" markers are handled slightly differently between the two. In multi, Edge cards use their printed effect, but in solo, there's a different effect as shown on the Solo player aid card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The differences between the two versions are not significant. There are separate player aid cards for each; you should have no problem learning no matter which version you start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

So it begs the question -- should I just play two sides when I play solo? I'll leap to the conclusion it will take longer and I'm fine with that, but often I'll play this way for first run-throughs just so I know how to explain the multiplayer game when I sit down with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
...should I just play two sides when I play solo?

This is not possible.

Quote:
I'll play this way for first run-throughs just so I know how to explain the multiplayer game when I sit down with friends.

If that's your preferred method then the best course of action would be to use the multiplayer rules and play two sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.