Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JATL
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There appear to be 2 significant errors in the Rule book.

On the Setup page at the top in big red text it says

"If this is your first time playing we recommend referring to the First Game setup on page 24 to get you playing as quickly as possible"

Unfortunately, Page 24 is the back of the book with Glossary and Credits. In fact, I dont even find "First Game setup" anywhere in the rulebook.

Second, at the end of the Setup it says "For a 2 or 3 Player game refer to the special set up instructions on pages 14 and 15."
Pages 14 and 15 instead actually cover Village Tokens and Final Scoring.

2 or 3 Player game setups are covered on pages 16 and 17.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a "First Game Overview" on page 21. That is probably what they are referencing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JATL
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well It says "First Game Setup" not "Overview" which is on Page 21 not on page 24 as they suggest.

It's definitely an oversight and should have gotten a final proof read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's also a paragraph that is repeated twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lowder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
To be honest, with how great the company is and how nice the kickstarter ran, these are pretty egregious errors. I know we're all human, and publishing ain't easy, but this is avoidable with a two-person proofread and inexcusable. Furthermore, this is why many people wait until second print runs of games and don't back immediately - so many rules clarifications and typos get fixed in the second run. It's a damned shame. Still enjoy the game, just stops it from really shining!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's quite a bit of hyperbole. But meh, shrug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris A
United Kingdom
Lewisham
flag msg tools
Would you like to know more? Check my blog for the latest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do want to say that a lot of the elements in the rule book are well done - Descriptions of gameplay are clear, most if not all rules are present and the artwork of a different kami being faded into each page is really a nice touch.

Having said that, there are a few issues which was frustrating during my first few play throughs when you tend to be stuck to the rule-book at every turn so I've put a list together of the things I've spotted.

I'm not sure if some listed are actually errors and some may sound a little nitpicky but this is hopefully received as intended - not a bash but instead hopefully a help to those looking to make a revised version available at some point down the line.

Page 2 - Under components it confirms there are 15 goal cards (4 of which have backs which denote Year 1). I have 19 unique goal cards.

I do actually have a query about this as cards 1,3,4,5 (number is listed on the bottom right of each card) are the cards with 'Year 1' denoted on the back. Was card 2 supposed to be a 'Year 1' card as well?

Page 2 - Under components it confirms there are 20 Kitsune cards. I have 24 unique Kitsune cards which seems to match the description on Page 3 of the rule book.

Page 3 - Similar to before, the rule book confirms there are 15 goal cards whereas it would appear there is actually 19 in the base game.

Page 3 - The text on the images used for the '4 player reference cards' are reversed, like reading them in a mirror.

Page 4 - The reader is referred to page 24 for the First Game setup. However, the First Game setup begins on page 21.

Page 4 - Under setup 'Part 1' the villages are listed with a black circle and number within it. The number is not centered within the black circle (whereas they are in the picture they are referring to).

Page 4 - There is double space under setup 'Part 4' with the sentence "Each player then__takes all of the components..."

Page 5 - The reader is referred to page 14 and 15 for a 2 or 3 player game. However, the reader should actually be directed to Page 16 and 17.

Page 7 - The image of Damok's player card is a pre-final version as the passive ability states "you may add a Seed token to a hut or stilt house". The final version received in the box confirms "you may add a Seed token to a hut or stilt house in any village". His overgrowth is also different in the final version.

Page 8 - Small spacing issue. The paragraph 'MOVE A SHRINE' looks to be a greater distance vertically from 'REPLACE A SHRINE' than 'REPLACE A SHRINE' is from 'REMOVE A SHRINE'.

Page 15 - A 'Note' has been added with regards to Peasant villager cards. Previous 'Notes' were boxed with a picture of an old man i.e. Page 6, Page 9 - but this format seems to have been dropped/forgotten here.

Page 15 - I'm unsure if this is an error but when talking about tied VP it states 'If there is a tie, the player with the most village tokens is the winner. If there is still a tie, a player with shrines in the most temples is the winner.' Meaning you 'cash in' 4 tokens when you achieve a complete setup, I would have thought the first tie breaker would have been temples over having a few tokens leftover because you couldn't complete a set. This may be correct though and the way it was intended.

Page 19 - Here we are given a picture of an example of a 2 player game. Gensui has 18 shrines next to his player card and 3 on the board (total 21) and Halah has 18 shrines next to her player card and 2 on the board (Total 20). I think this can be confusing to a player looking at the example for guidance on setup (2 player is 20 shrines each).

Page 21 - The first sentence refers to a kami's "passives abilities"

Page 22 - It refers the reader to Page 12 if they want to read about Goal cards but this should actually be Page 14.

Page 22 - It refers the reader to Page 9 if they want to read about the End of Round but this should actually be Page 10.

Page 23 - It refers the reader to Pages 8-10 for information of drafting villagers but this should actually be Pages 11-12

Page 23 - It refers the reader to Page 13 for End of Game Scoring but this is actually on Page 15.

Page 24 - The glossary refers to some pages as "pg" and some as "pgs" for example:

2-Player Variant (pg 17-19)
Action Abilities (pg 7)
Actions (pgs 8)

Edit 1 - Added comments about 'Page 3 - Player Reference Cards' and 'Page 7 - Damok image'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan B.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are pretty big oversights considering all they needed was like, anyone to proofread. People excusing or downplaying this sort of thing are ridiculous, imo. This is hardly Kolossal’s first game/Kickstarter so it’s even more inexcusable.

Between this and the Terrors of London shipping delay “error,” I’m seeing some red flags with these guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rbf1138 wrote:
These are pretty big oversights considering all they needed was like, anyone to proofread. People excusing or downplaying this sort of thing are ridiculous, imo. This is hardly Kolossal’s first game/Kickstarter so it’s even more inexcusable.

Between this and the Terrors of London shipping delay “error,” I’m seeing some red flags with these guys.

Thanks so much for all of the feedback, everyone. It's extremely helpful. We will be collecting this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jordan. One can dismiss the many rules errors with a 'meh' but it serves as no incentive for the game company to be more careful in the future.

This also extends to what seem like 'easy to spot' rules issues. They define Village Tokens, but don't mention whether they can stack or not. I asked two others to read the rules and we were all unsure whether there can be 2 or 3 of the same token on one of the circles. This is like the FIRST thing we thought of! How can a game that supposedly when through rigorous testing miss such an easy point?

Anyway, we play tomorrow for the first time. By then I'm hoping the severely warped playing boards will be a bit flatter............
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Some companies these days will just post their prepublication draft rules here in the Files, and in effect we do the final proofing for them for free! Something to think about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.