Del Vechio Cavalhieri
Brazil
flag msg tools
First, sorry if the idea was posted here before.

So most of we, EH players, already faced that damn research encounter card from Azathoth deck and the "All for Nothing" mythos card, and also most of us think the mechanic of shuffling a solved a mystery back to the deck is too punishing, almost an unwinnable condition (there is a lot of people who take those cards off the deck). I think the concept of the mechanic is fine, the problem it is too tough the way it is designed, so I've been playing with a slight variant, based on the "advance the current mystery" effect idea, but with the reverse effect, which should be:

"Recede the current mystery".

The level of the effect, tho, is up to you to decide. The rules says the "Advance the Mystery" grants 1 token (clue/eldritch/gate) or -2 HP to an Epic Monster. So, "Recede the Mystery" could be -1 or -2 tokens, +2 or +X HP back to the monster, depending on what level of challenge you are willing to face. This way those cards are still threatening enough, their flavor text still makes sense, but they don't make me stop playing the game whenever I see them xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Quicksilver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucester
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. M.
France
La Rochelle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes this mythos card is punishing, but rather than discarding it, we prefer to face the game as it is, by absolutely always keeping 2 clue tokens in the team after having solved the first mystery.

In my opinion, this card is a part of the EH game play and it would not be the same game without it. Whether your organize yourself to prevent this awful eventuality, whether you take the risk to face it without any clue token, and yes possibly loose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delvechio wrote:

most of us think the mechanic of shuffling a solved a mystery back to the deck is too punishing, almost an unwinnable condition

I disagree.

In the early game, you wouldn't have solved a mystery so this mythos card is not very bad (this is assuming you are pacing yourself properly, boosting the party with assets, keeping gates under control and solving rumours, rather than trying to rush the first mystery). I wouldn't usually try to solve the first mystery until around turn 7 or 8.

In the late game (usually turns 11+), if the game is going well, the investigators are super tooled up with assets and improvements, so solving the third mystery usually takes only 2-3 turns. So even if you happen to not have the 2 clues to cancel 'All for Nothing', it is quite easy to solve a 4th one promptly.

I don't believe I have ever lost a game after drawing 'All for Nothing'. I think I only had to shuffle a mystery back once (as usually you have the 2 clues to spare or you haven't yet solved a mystery).

It might be a bigger issue if you are playing with 2 investigators, as it is more likely that rushing the 3 mysteries (vs. maintaining board control) is a winning strategy, so having to solve a 4th mystery can be crippling.

TLR - if you know what you are doing, 'All for Nothing' is not a very bad card. There are some that are a LOT harder and that cost me games (the one that removes lots of assets unless you advance doom by 2-4, and the one that has everyone impair a skill 3 times, are killers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Groule said, in spades !

We have seen "All for nothing" twice in our eight games. Both times we feared it, had prepared for it, and had the requisite clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Lewes
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is an brilliant option for those that like to remove the "All for Nothing" mythos card from the deck. Many thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Lewes
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
delvechio wrote:

most of us think the mechanic of shuffling a solved a mystery back to the deck is too punishing, almost an unwinnable condition

I disagree.

In the early game, you wouldn't have solved a mystery so this mythos card is not very bad (this is assuming you are pacing yourself properly, boosting the party with assets, keeping gates under control and solving rumours, rather than trying to rush the first mystery). I wouldn't usually try to solve the first mystery until around turn 7 or 8.

In the late game (usually turns 11+), if the game is going well, the investigators are super tooled up with assets and improvements, so solving the third mystery usually takes only 2-3 turns. So even if you happen to not have the 2 clues to cancel 'All for Nothing', it is quite easy to solve a 4th one promptly.

I don't believe I have ever lost a game after drawing 'All for Nothing'. I think I only had to shuffle a mystery back once (as usually you have the 2 clues to spare or you haven't yet solved a mystery).

It might be a bigger issue if you are playing with 2 investigators, as it is more likely that rushing the 3 mysteries (vs. maintaining board control) is a winning strategy, so having to solve a 4th mystery can be crippling.

TLR - if you know what you are doing, 'All for Nothing' is not a very bad card. There are some that are a LOT harder and that cost me games (the one that removes lots of assets unless you advance doom by 2-4, and the one that has everyone impair a skill 3 times, are killers)

I'm sure that the OP was thrilled hear about your brilliant game play and that you've never lost a game. However, the point of OPs post was to present a creative variant for those that like to remove the 'All for Nothing' card. There are many posts and comments on this forum where players cite that they remove the card. The variant is an option that some players MAY wish to utilize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hauntster wrote:

I'm sure that the OP was thrilled hear about your brilliant game play and that you've never lost a game. However, the point of OPs post was to present a creative variant for those that like to remove the 'All for Nothing' card. There are many posts and comments on this forum where players cite that they remove the card. The variant is an option that some players MAY wish to utilize.

And I replied: If 'All for Nothing' is giving you a hard time, don't nerf it, learn to play better.

You are free to disagree if you want. But at least offer some counter arguments. When did you lose a game from 'All for Nothing'? What was the game state at that point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Lewes
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
And I replied: If 'All for Nothing' is giving you a hard time, don't nerf it, learn to play better.

You are free to disagree if you want. But at least offer some counter arguments. When did you lose a game from 'All for Nothing'? What was the game state at that point?

And my point was that your point is irrelevant to this post. If you want to discuss strategy for 'All for Nothing', go post in the strategy section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Optional Variant:
1) Locate the "All for Nothing" mythos card.
2) Turn the card lengthwise.
3) Pinch the top middle of the card between your thumb and index finger of your right hand.
4) While holding the card with your right hand, use the thumb and index finger of your left hand to pinch the top middle of the card next to your right hand.
5) While still grasping the card, simultaneously pull towards your body with your right hand and push away with your left hand. If timed correctly you should hear a very satisfactory tearing noise. You should now be holding separate halves of the card in each hand.
6) Find a receptacle for holding garbage.
7) Place the two halves in the garbage.
8) Silently shake your fist at the designer that thought that card was a good idea.
9) You are now ready to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.