Bradley Smith II
United States
California
flag msg tools
My girlfriend told me last night she thinks she should get me another present. So I don't want to argue with her! I big priority for my collection is having a big variety of mechanics, theme, and play experiences. I also just got Great Western Trail.

So the games on my radar are:

Keyflower: I've been recommended this game before but was wary because of the dry theme and the reputation for being cutthroat. The high interaction seems to be a selling point though and my last few euros have been more solitaire in nature. The combination of mechanics looks pretty unique which is a plus.

Feast for Odin: My lady keeps going back to this one. I think she likes that it has such a huge box and we can get it for 70$ at a LGS only for the next few days. We already have Caverna which we like but need more plays. Replay ability is a downside in Caverna that seems better in Odin. Though the Caverna expansion coming out soon complicates things. I think the Tetris part is the main problem I have with the game. I like that this one is good with 2.

Architects of the West Kingdom: This game is getting hyped and looks solid. I like that there are no rounds and you have a ton of workers. Always a sucker for a medieval theme. I think I will safely enjoy this one but I'm worried it's not different enough from others in my collection. Also worried it's a cult of the new purchase.

Also open to more recommendations!

Others on my wishlist:

Steampunk Rally, Ex Libris, The Networks, Clans of Caledonia, Richard the Lionheart, Nations, Rajas of the Ganges, Shakespeare, Brass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower

Call JBs art dry again. See what happens...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pish
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have Architects but haven't played it yet. Not sure it has a variety of mechanisms, but I it should be a lot of fun.

Feast for Odin has ALOT going on, but I could see it fulfilling your variety of mechanisms. A little on the heavier side. Very Uwe type game if you are into those. I've only played once and want to again. Not sure what I think of it.

Love Keyflower, but it can be mean- something to keep in mind if you want to play primarily with your SO. Theme is not a selling point but if it's a competitive game group, it's a great choice.

Rajas is really great, love the combination of dice placement, engine building, and tile placement. I've really enjoyed it. Solidly on the medium/light scale.

Didn't care for Ex Libris (too light) or Steampunk Rally (more an activity than a game). I love GWT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal McClatchey
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those 3 I would go with Architects of the West Kingdom. I love the Raiders of the North Sea game from the same designer (Shem). I know that one will be just as good (although I haven’t played it yet).

Some other suggestions:

You have Tzolkin on your wishlist. That is a fantastic game. So many choices! I feel like I have the freedom to change my strategy each game and still do well. It scales well at different player counts.

Also, Scythe. This is my favorite game. It has a great theme, great art, great mechanics. I feel like I’m doing something in this game, not just getting points. Definitely one to check out.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Small
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
My wife got me Feast for Odin for my birthday in late September. I have played it about 8 times since then and with my busy schedule and ability to play games (or lack thereof) at all that's pretty impressive.

I had never played a Uwe Rosenberg game before getting this and I can't tell you how happy I am with this game. I wasn't intrigued by any other tetris style game ie. Cottage Garden, Indian Summer, etc. If that's your only reservation about the game it certainly hasn't affected my opinion of the game.

That's my two cents, though I'd be happy getting a few of your other options so you really can't go wrong. I think I just tend to jump on the opportunity to praise Feast for Odin any chance I get as it's become one of my all time favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is on Odin, but I really like Uwe games and Viking themes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Smith II
United States
California
flag msg tools
scifiantihero wrote:
Keyflower

Call JBs art dry again. See what happens...

I said the theme was dry not the art! I do like the house screens quite a bit. I think the basic meeples also make a game look more dated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Bristol
United States
BEDFORD
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower. It's in my top ten, and in my top 3 worker placement games. It might be my #1 WP game.

I'd also like to throw out a recommendation for Teotihuacan: Cit of Gods. It might be the best game released this year and will likely make it into my top ten, and maybe top five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Bristol
United States
BEDFORD
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
My vote is on Odin, but I really like Uwe games and Viking themes.

That game couldn't feel more divorced from anything pertaining to Vikings. You're harvesting veggies and and slaughtering cows. It's just Tetris Caverna with a Norse god in the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if you reduce vikings to raids and bloodshed.

Anyways...

They are all three excellent games, and I think either is a great choice. Considering, that you are very interested in getting a good mix of mechanics and themes, I would lean towards A Feast for Odin or Keyflower.

- Keyflower is very interactive for a game of this kind and has a pretty unique mix of mechanics. As you and others have mentioned, the interaction also makes it more mean. But it is mostly in the usual worker placement style, by blocking options, no destruction of property.

- A Feast for Odin is superb. One of Uwe's best designs. The game looks overwhelmingly complex, but really isn't. You have tons of options, but it is all very well structured and once you get the hang of it, it is not nearly as wild as it looks. I think the "Tetris part" is really fun and offers so many options and possibilities. It also has a nice mix of mechanics. Definitely the least interactive of the three.

- Architects I have only played once so far, but the game certainly seems like it has plenty replayability and also some unique ideas. It can be a little mean, since you can capture the workers of other players and send them to prison.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Smith II
United States
California
flag msg tools
I ultimately went with Keyflower! We played Caverna again and decided that we still liked it a lot and wanted to play it more before getting Odin. Rajas of the Ganges also moved up on the list. Thank you friends for all the feed back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.