Subject: Games with Variable/Hidden Objectives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Spivey
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some games that have hidden and changing goals/objectives throughout the course of the game. For instance, in Betrayal at the House on the Hill the players don’t really have a set objective (except exploration and item collection) until the haunt happens. This sort of game really intrigues me because there are no clear winners until the very end. I also like the idea of hidden goals like in Ticket to Ride so that there is even more mystery behind who may triumph. So what games are out there that have changing objectives throughout the game that could throw someone, who looked like they were going to win, into last place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Pigs has a secret objective drawn at game start where you need to conquer a certain combo of planets to win.

Nexus Ops has secret mission cards that once achieved give you multiple Victory Points (vs. grinding away at 1 VP per won battle).

Nemesis characters have secret missions too, some of them "traitor" mechanic-esque.

These are neat ideas as they can prevent a game from dragging out too long, or keep players guessing at what the other players' objectives are.

Another game whose goal is NOT secret, but does change mid-game, is The Downfall of Pompeii.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LeeT
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I've been watching you too, I promise not to keep you long, I'll keep you forever.
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Mad King Ludwig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium has personal missions that score VPs (and ten VPs wins the game, so they're quite important). You can take an action to draw new ones or exchange ones you have, and if memory serves one of the races can trade them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the many versions of Fluxx. Rules and goals change constantly during the course of the game.

Chrononauts from the same designer of Fluxx, also has hidden goals and a timeline that is always changing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia scoring happens at the end. Points are based on what cards you have multiplied by how much of your stuff is on the board, but different types of cards score differently. So the most efficient way for you to score points will change as you pick up more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipyard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Kelso
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Takenoko has objective cards like ticket to ride that are hidden until the objective is completed. Actually I think you have a hand size and you do not actually have to reveal you completed a card until you decide to do it on your turn. Of course the board may change and then the card is no longer complete... it has been a while since I played it so I can not remember exactly but I do know I really enjoy it.

I seem to recall Xia: Legends of a Drift System having hidden mission cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Lorenzo il Magnifico. I should think satisfying the patron cards is a hidden objective.

The building cards in Architects of the West Kingdom may fulfill this, too. You are collecting resources, but whether it's for another action or to build ... that's your choice.

Oh! Sagrada! Almost forgot! There is a hidden objective card each player needs to try and fulfill along with completing their window.

Trust this is useful!

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb

Archipelago is back in print.
It not only has hidden goals...it has hidden ending conditions and variable length oprions.

Plus, it's beautiful to look at.

It's somewhat heavy though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few others with secret Objectives/Agendas/Scoring Goals:

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
The Gallerist
Suburbia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything hidden:

Heimlich & Co.
Clans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidhorm wrote:
Concordia scoring happens at the end. Points are based on what cards you have multiplied by how much of your stuff is on the board, but different types of cards score differently. So the most efficient way for you to score points will change as you pick up more cards.

Mac Gerdt's earlier game Navegador also has a similar mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfair has blueprints. Players can always take a new blueprint, but can only discard one if an event card allows it.

Mob Town has secret agendas. A player can use a turn to exchange agendas.

Enemy Chocolatier has secret recipes.

Risky Adventure has hidden goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.
mbmbmbmbmb
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork: each player has their own hidden set of win conditions. I sure wish I'd bought this when it was still affordable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melanie Goldmund
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exploriana has hidden objective cards, but as they're only worth four points each, I'm not sure it's a game-changer if a player fails to achieve one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Combat Commander

Some apply to one player, some to both.
Some are open, some closed.
Some appear as the game goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
+1 Twilight Imperium. Also its expansions Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition) have various hidden objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romaric B.
France
Southern suburbs of Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Cerberus, everybody tries to escape Cerberus, but if you fail, you get to play with Cerberus and you can win by preventing the others to escape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Shadow Hunters
You have good guys and bad guys trying to kill each other, but nobody knows which is which.

In addition, if you play with 5 or more, there are neutral characters that have their own goals. Like be the first to die, gain certain items, make sure the guy to your left wins etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captkiddeo wrote:
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork: each player has their own hidden set of win conditions. I sure wish I'd bought this when it was still affordable...

Came here to say this. On the plus side, it is being officially re-implemented as Nanty Narking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcius Fabiani
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
"The game is afoot."
badge
"The game is afoot."
mbmbmbmbmb
In Troyes, each player has a secret, unique scoring card that will provide points for all players at the end of the game. Although only you know what card you have, your behavior throughout the game may reveal which card you've got, so the other players can react accordingly. Very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
captkiddeo wrote:

Came here to say this. On the plus side, it is being officially re-implemented as Nanty Narking.

I suppose that's good, but I want to be Vimes!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think A Study in Emerald qualifies. There's two factions but you don't know who's faction a player belongs to, so you have to carefully study their actions. There's also ways to change factions and it's hard to tell a player's score because after revealing factions in the end only some of the victory points actually count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.