Hide
8 Posts

Aeon's End» Forums » General

Subject: Looking at deck order? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Siano
msg tools
Is it against the spirit of the game to note down deck order on paper? Is it against the spirit of the game to look at your deck so long as it has not been shuffled since the last time you flipped your discard pile to make your deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The content of your deck is supposed to be known information. It is technically against the rules to peek at your deck, but I'm 95% sure that Kevin had stated in the past that this was to avoid player analysis paralysis (i.e. spending ten minutes planning out your turn to make sure you're playing optimally) rather than to force you to memorize what's in your deck. I wouldn't worry about peeking every once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You can write it down. The game isn't about how well you can memorize things. It is partially about how well you can organize things.

In testing, we will peak at the top card to see who should draw a card, when that is an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lnwlfx44 wrote:
Is it against the spirit of the game to note down deck order on paper? Is it against the spirit of the game to look at your deck so long as it has not been shuffled since the last time you flipped your discard pile to make your deck?

You’re not supposed to look at your deck. You can set it up using your discard pile though. So you should have an idea as to what’s coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take great pains to stack my trash appropriately when I discard, then completely forget about what I did so drawing cards is always a surprise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRubexCube wrote:
lnwlfx44 wrote:

You’re not supposed to look at your deck. You can set it up using your discard pile though. So you should have an idea as to what’s coming.

You shouldn't just have an idea, you should totally know.

Personally, I don't enjoy memory games. It just slows the game down for me and decreases the fun. So I will happily look at the deck. It doesn't feel like cheating, it just feels like less work (and therefore more game...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
TheRubexCube wrote:
lnwlfx44 wrote:

You shouldn't just have an idea, you should totally know.

Personally, I don't enjoy memory games. It just slows the game down for me and decreases the fun. So I will happily look at the deck. It doesn't feel like cheating, it just feels like less work (and therefore more game...).

This is generally how we play as well. Aeon's End is not a memory game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:
Aeon's End is not a memory game.

That's why it always saddens me when I see that some have gotten rid of it because they thought it was :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.