Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Yedidia
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since I went on a very enjoyable vacation to Iceland a few years ago, I've been intrigued by the unusual history Iceland had during World War II. It had rejected British requests to join the Allies voluntarily, so on May 10, 1940 the British invaded and occupied the island, whose inhabitants basically cooperated with the Allies thereafter. On July 7, 1941 before the entry of the US into the war, control of Iceland was transferred from the UK to the US. The British wanted to use their troops and ships elsewhere while keeping the Germans out, and Roosevelt was happy to help, even though the US wasn't a belligerent power.

Churchill also corresponded with Roosevelt in 1941 about plans for a similar arrangement with the Canary and Azores Islands, but the operations to seize those bases were ultimately shelved.

It seems a shame to me that the Cataclysm rules don't allow for the historical events in Iceland (and the possible events in the Canary Islands), because they do allow for nearly everything else that occurred in the real history. I already suggested one solution in a previous thread (which I then derailed in a different direction), but I have a new improved proposal now. The rules weight probably doesn't make it worth it for most players, but I like these variant rules and thought somebody else might too. Here are the rules, which are just additional Deployment rules.

8.4.3. Base Transfer During Deployment
At the beginning of a deployment action, a deploying power may take over ownership of one base owned by a second power of the same ideology, under the following conditions:
* The player commanding the second power must agree to the transfer.
* The transferred base cannot be a special British base or a base printed on the map. [Design note: this implies that the transferred base must be one recently acquired; it cannot be a base that the second power owned historically.]
* The deploying power must deploy at least one unit to the transferred base as part of its deployment action.
* The second power must retreat any units that cannot legally occupy the sea area of the transferred base after deployment is complete.

I think if you use these rules, there is a fairly decent probability that a transfer of Iceland from the UK to the US will occur in your game too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm still at the learning stage, these look reasonable and straightforward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.