Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy hasn't arrived yet, so this is a question and a line of thought more than a finalized suggestion. Anyway, having character deaths seems like it helps with telling a cinematic story, which is a lot of what Nemesis is about. At the same time, getting killed 45 minutes into a 3 hour game is a definite downer for the killed player. Initial feedback on the "Play as Intruders" option seems to be negative.

Would it be reasonably within theme to have a character in hyb that was delayed in waking up?

Here's my first stab at it:
If a player is eliminated before the time tracker gets to position 4, the player draws a single Personal Objective and a single Character draft card and starts over. They'll have an advantage in that they are not wounded/infected and the board is already somewhat explored, but they'll have a disadvantage due to less time to complete their objective and no ability to have chosen synergy between the objective and the character.

The design goal is to allow the player to keep playing, keep the cinematic storyline intact, and make death something best avoided but not necessarily the end of the player's chance to win. If the initial proposal is seen as being too advantageous, consider giving the new character an infection card and a Larva miniature, so he starts out Infected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Intruder player variant is really good imo. Some people even make their character die on purpose to be able to hunt other players. It's also rare to die early, unless you are really careless or have a really bad luck.

Quote:
the player draws a single Personal Objective and a single Character draft card and starts over.

The main problem I see here is being far behind with fulfilling your new Objective. Especially if it's after 8th turn - close or very close to the game's end. Starting from the scratch in 4th turn doesn't sound optimistic.
Quote:
They'll have an advantage in that they are not wounded/infected and the board is already somewhat explored, but they'll have a disadvantage due to less time to complete their objective and no ability to have chosen synergy between the objective and the character.

I don't think the advantage and disadvantage would balance themselves - in the late game, there are often many noise tokens and some Intruders on board, so going anywhere becomes more and more risky. And a random Objective becomes harder to fulfill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumoja wrote:
Intruder player variant is really good imo. Some people even make their character die on purpose to be able to hunt other players. It's also rare to die early, unless you are really careless or have a really bad luck.

I suppose it would be for the really bad luck case that I would want to mitigate. If the bad luck eliminates a player early the first time they play the game, they might not want to try it again.
Kumoja wrote:

Quote:
the player draws a single Personal Objective and a single Character draft card and starts over.

The main problem I see here is being far behind with fulfilling your new Objective. Especially if it's after 8th turn - close or very close to the game's end. Starting from the scratch in 4th turn doesn't sound optimistic.

Would you set the cut-off time earlier, then? Say, if you die with 12 or more turns remaining, jump back in, but not later? That would help with the worst possible scenarios, but could still leave a player eliminated for over half the game, which doesn't seem ideal.

Kumoja wrote:

Quote:
They'll have an advantage in that they are not wounded/infected and the board is already somewhat explored, but they'll have a disadvantage due to less time to complete their objective and no ability to have chosen synergy between the objective and the character.

I don't think the advantage and disadvantage would balance themselves - in the late game, there are often many noise tokens and some Intruders on board, so going anywhere becomes more and more risky. And a random Objective becomes harder to fulfill.

Okay, thanks for the input.
If they restart with a choice of two characters and objectives, it seems like they would be able to choose an objective that was super-compatible with another player's objective and not need to do much. But they could still draw that, and if they draw a difficult objective, they could still be in a no-win situation.

What if they get a random new character, but stick with the objective they've already got?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin De Schutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not allow to take the “fatal wounded” to the medical bay and allow Some form of reviving (there are rules in the co-op version)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dommer2029 wrote:
If they restart with a choice of two characters and objectives, it seems like they would be able to choose an objective that was super-compatible with another player's objective and not need to do much.

How do they know what the other player's objectives are (to choose a compatible one)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For games with new players, I've been leaning more towards removing the chestburster event and one of the fire spreading events until you're 5 turns in or so, probably until the hibernatorium unlocks just to keep tracking easy. That should give them enough time to figure out how the game works so that they don't die early from ignorance. The random event deaths are the biggest potential problem in my opinion, because while you can mitigate them with intelligent play, you don't know to mitigate them until you've seen them for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zekere wrote:
Why not allow to take the “fatal wounded” to the medical bay and allow Some form of reviving (there are rules in the co-op version)

I think that's a good idea, but not sufficient. Other players may not be motivated to help or helping might not be practical in a particular situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin De Schutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dommer2029 wrote:
Zekere wrote:

I think that's a good idea, but not sufficient. Other players may not be motivated to help or helping might not be practical in a particular situation.

But it creates possibilities...and reactions from other players would be interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.