Subject: Best Decks to Show New Player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachary Mitchell
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a few years since I've played this game, and I'm looking to get back into it. I want to play with someone who hasn't played before so I was planning on just using the starting decks for our first few games.

Is there any starting deck in particular that would be best? I remember Jinteki has lots of ways to trap and kill the runner and the strategy on when to run against a Jinteki corp might be confusing for a new player, right? The same goes for the Anarchs because if I remember correctly they can use lots of viruses.

The tutorial video online starts with Weyland and Criminals. Is this what you would recommend? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinteki and Anarchs are a bit less straight forward. NBN may also be a bit more with traces being strong strategy

Criminal is good choice for first runner and Weyland or HB maybe best for starters.

Just start with making both decks yourself for setup and ease, then teach by playing a few games with each of you trying both runner and corp to get hang of mechanics.

After that you can try some of the other factions and start deckbuilding.

You can also use Net Deck app for ios, Deck Builder for Netrunner on android or NetrunnerDb.com on cpu to help with deckbuilding.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/25559 is also a good resource...FFG quick video on how to play, great help to get the basic concepts down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Allen
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this to be an effective set of decks with a nice natural progression of concepts and have had great success with them any time I teach:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/156783/netrunner-teaching...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fantastic pair of teaching decks that I usually use:

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/47508/core-2-0-teaching-...-
https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/47509/core-2-0-teaching-...-

The key concept of Netrunner is taking chances vs sacrifices. If you strip that away from the learning process, players will quickly end with conclusion that they feel powerless and that the game is "unfair". It's better to get them familiar with the concept right away. It's okay for few games to end abruptly, if they are prepared for it.

Criminal is usually a poor choice for a beginner. It requires certain mindset to play (aggresive, high risk, high reward, control boardstate) which most people don't feel comfortable with, at least at the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Allen
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Criminal is usually a poor choice for a beginner. It requires certain mindset to play (aggresive, high risk, high reward, control boardstate) which most people don't feel comfortable with, at least at the beginning.

Agreed. Shaper is a much better choice because they have a good toolset for just about any ICE in the early set of cards and also the ability to fetch them, which feels like a good safety net for someone learning the game. It’s uncomfortable as a new player faceplanting into ICE just to force the Corp to spend money to rez which would be a hallmark of the aggressive style of Criminal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.