4 Posts

Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Post-game impressions- SPOILERS! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Um cki
Poland
flag msg tools
Our group after some time finally managed to finish the campaign, we have some opinion to share- I'm really interested how others feel about it (especially ending), may also serve as feedback for devs- I'd like to know their point of view too...

We were interested with this idea of social games of clever deduction a lot, much better than some fancy QR scanning game (that's not my thing)- for most parts worked well, with some polishing and improvements may lead to a really great expansions in the future.

Case 6 wasn't that nice, case 1 was much better luckily- we would probably stop playing after it if it wasn't.

Really liked the pacing- modern day dynamic case 3 after 1 & 2, quick and intense case 5 after a longer case 4- the execution here caused problems- terrible instructions for case 3 among others.

Case 4 was the high point for the campaign, where most of the events made sense, was very satisfying and we had a great time.

When we started case 5 we already
Spoiler (click to reveal)
knew it's Petry because of the tissue- he was wealthy guy with allergy, those boring favor texts proved useful after all... we knew the asnwers to all the final report questions before even starting the case, except for who's son he is

Then we reached the ending when we found out that
Malcolm is Ferguson's son "raised", or rather "breeded" by Buchman somehow...

Before our theory was that
he is Anna's son, who wants to expose Nostromo by playing a game with us, leading us to all the facts, being a very intelligent person, dedicated and determined, but not a bloodthirty killer

And that's the biggest disappointment. Two of our team are a psychologist and a doctor IRL and they couldn't disagree with the reasoning more- it made literally no sense, no human being would behave and proceed like this.
Instead of smart story, we got a generic, mediocre crime with obsessed, mad killer.

We worked hard to reach the end, but the reward we got didn't satisfy us. Hope you can work on the writing and storytelling, perhaps hiring some professionals- the game has huge potential in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael
msg tools
badge
Umcio wrote:
And that's the biggest disappointment. Two of our team are a psychologist and a doctor IRL and they couldn't disagree with the reasoning more- it made literally no sense, no human being would behave and proceed like this.

I guess psychologists might be disappointed... but after all it's a fictional story in which everything is possible (especially when entering the realm of "obsessed people whose behavior is difficult to understand/predict"). As long as the game gives us enough information to identify the man and understand his backstory, the game works as a detective game.

I agree about the pacing, I thought it was brilliant:
1st case: introductory, but with many small details to make us curious about the following cases
2nd case: information-overload
3rd case: break, more self-contained
4th case: information overload #2
5th case: good amount of information + exciting new mechanics to make it feel special

Absolutely brilliant design imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Seijuro
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this for fun with no people who were in a medical profession themselves, so we didn’t look for the logic on the backstory. I can understand how your group found this a drawback because of the disconnect.

We had trouble with #3
because of the instructions...we didn’t know we could use some map website, such as google maps. This was our fault probably. Also, we went after more background than trying to save the girl, because we didn’t know where to start. However, the final report helps you fill out some blanks... which is maybe an artificial way of leadingyou, but otherwise, you might be completelyin th dark about some things

We didn’t mind the flavour text.

For case #5 however,
we didn’t really know what to do... so we started researching the phone and hacking into it, gave us an address. We decided to follow it, leading us to the endgame... without actually doing something... we could derive some things from the questions in the final report, but were a tad disillusioned... we had been waiting to play this grand final case, to have it solved and won in about 45 minutes through sheer dumb luck, but without the joy of discovering bits of it

All in all though, we really like the concept! I can’t imagine having to develop this story arch... it has to be really hard, no? I hope Portal continues to develop more stories in this line!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Um cki
Poland
flag msg tools
I'm not saying that the professionals mentioned were disappointed- we were all disappinted by irrationality and lack of believability, and those people could easily explain why certain things make no sense.

It is a fictional story, but in games, same as in books and films, story must make sense for the players to be able to get involnved and adhere.

And yeah- case 3 was flawed badly.

Hope the devs can improve those aspects- I won't instantly pre-order expansions, but will look closely for reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.