Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Thematically, I mean. I know the keywords interact differently with different cards. Papa Ghede is immune to surges. The refinery takes tools. That sort of thing. I get all that. And there's obviously some tuning involved in distributing items and powers among the different keywords. But what is the underlying idea behind a surge vs a tool?

Looking over the basic cards, I figured maybe surges were the Apocrypha version of magic, but that doesn't seem to work with Extra Shot, Memory Killer, Cajun Spice, or Extra Razor Blades, all of which seem to be relatively mundane items. Similarly, the Wolfram Cube and Marked Deck are tools, but they clearly imply some sort of extradimensional or supernatural power.

So what makes something a surge and what makes something a tool? I'm fascinated by the way Apocrypha uses taxonomy to detail its unique setting, so I'd be interested in hearing folks' interpretations on this sort of stuff. Or, even better, maybe Mike and Aviva weighting in with their thoughts.

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
malcolm reynolds
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't done an in-depth analysis. My impression is that Surge gifts are often Sacrificed to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My impression is that Surges are akin to potion or spells - some innate power or object that gets expended when used. Tools are closer to equipment and gear that has multiple uses or sticks around. Allies are obvious, but Relics seems like they are normal things that aren't for wharever reason. I'm a bit curious about the distinctions between a soul-stealing camera, a magic tome, and a street sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.