Hide
6 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Faction: Illusionists rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emerson Arriety
msg tools
I've been making custom factions for a couple of months. Most of them aren't properly balanced or cohesive as I was mostly messing around. But this one I think is reasonably balanced and cohesive.

The illusionist deck focuses on not scoring bases outside of your turn and most of the cards are vulnerable to destruction.

Minions
Master Illusionist
Power: 5
Ability: Talent: Choose a minion. It contributes 0 power towards breaking a base until the start of your next turn.
Special: Before the base scores you may cancel one of your minions abilities.

Phantasmal fiend (x2)
Power: 6
Ability: -4 power when it first enters. Ongoing: -4 power when it’s not your turn.

Illusion (x3)
Power: 3
Ability: Ongoing: Contributes 0 power towards breaking a base when it’s not your turn.

Apparition (x4)
Power: 1
Ability: Ongoing: It has a power of 0 when it’s not your turn. At the start of your turn place a plus one power counter on this minion.

Actions (10/10)
Phantom illusion
Special: Before a base scores. Choose a minion. It has a power of 0 until the end of the turn.

Only an illusion
Ability: Play on a minion. Ongoing: This minion contributes 0 power towards breaking a base. Destroy this card at the start of your next turn.

Deceptively strong (x2)
Ability: Place a +1 power counter on up to two of your minions.

Mirage
Ability: Play on base. This base cannot score until the start of your next turn.

Mirror illusion
Ability: Play on a base. Minions cannot be played here until the start of your next turn.

Disperse illusion
Special: Before a base score. Cancel one of your minions abilities.

Optical illusion (x2)
Ability: Play on a minion. Place a +1 power counter on it. Ongoing: This minion cannot be targeted by other players actions.

Illusion of power
Ability: Play on a base. Ongoing: Subtract one from the breakpoint for each minion here during your turn. Add one to the breakpoint for each minion here when it’s not your turn.

Bases

Penrose stairs
Breakpoint: 21
Ability: Minions here of power two or less cannot be destroyed.

Ames room
Breakpoint: 19
Ability: Before this base scores, you may cancel one of your minions abilities.

Notes

1. I don't know if Master Illusionist should have a special or not. I don't know how powerful her talent is on it's own, this faction also already has two specials and a base that grants a special as well.

2. I'm torn on if Apparition should have 0 power or not.

3. Phantasmal Fiend might only need a -2 when entering. The point of the -4 is to prevent people from just holding on to it and just playing it as a power 6 minion to score bases, which is not how it's supposed to work.

Clarification: Contributing 0 power is not the same as having 0 power. i.e. if there is an Illusion and Zombie Lord on the base and it isn't the Illusionists turn, the power on the base is considered 5. However, the Illusion still has a power of 3 and cannot be affected by things targeting minions with power 2 or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
I like the idea but I feel like there needs to be more cards that can cancel minions abilities when a base scores. I also think the 4x and 3x minions are too similar.

Also I think you should have a card called "Never Reappeared" where you get some cool benefit related to a minion's printed power and then send that minion back to the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson Arriety
msg tools
They are similar, but the minion of 4x is way more powerful than the 3x minion, provided that it's your turn.

I don't want them to have too many cancel their ability actions, because otherwise they can override their weaknesses and might be too powerful as a deck.

Besides, if you want to keep canceling your abilities, you have the Illuionist for that.

"Never Reappeared" sounds like it could be an interesting card and I'll play around with some ideas, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson Arriety
msg tools
Just a bit of idea.

Phantasmal fiend (x2)
Power: 0
Ability: Ongoing: Add 4 to the break point when it's not your turn. Subtract 4 from the break point when it is your turn.

This is kind of like illusion of power wrapped into one minion. Although this minion may be super useless like this unless it can't be affected by opponents cards. I think the way I have the minion now is better. (Also, cancelling its abilities does nothing for you)

If you think they need more cancel the ability cards, give them another disperse illusion. Get rid of deceptively strong entirely and maybe try this card?

Never reappeared
Ability: Play an extra minion. Attach this card to it. Ongoing: At the start of your next turn, reduce the break point of each base by the number of minions played there until the end of your turn and then remove this card and the minion attached to it from play.

Not sure how I feel about Never reappeared but what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Are you planning on putting artwork to this faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson Arriety
msg tools
AlwaysArdent wrote:
Are you planning on putting artwork to this faction?

My artwork isn't the best, so I hadn't really considered doing it. But I suppose I might give it a go if I have some down time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.