Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Barksdale
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Playing as the head of the CONSUBPAC during the war, the head of the fleet (be it Lockwood, Christie or whomever) would have known who was good and who was not when it came to the skippers under his command. Games like this make the small mistake of assuming that "super skippers" occur totally serendipitously and are not known to the head of the fleet beforehand. A good admiral would know that guys like Morton and O'Kane were the good sled dogs before they ever sent a ship on patrol. As such, they would know when to deploy those assets and how to maximize their efficacy.

Therefore, I propose to make the following changes:

1. Download the "Historical Skipper" Entry Dates.
2. Get the Veteran Crew markers from The German U-Boat game (or any game with "VETERAN" markers.
3. (I am in the process of researching when each "super skipper" actually appeared and when he become "special". Until then, let's use historical charts on here).
4. Use random week entry for each skipper (thus if Morton enters in January of 43, roll to determine what week he enters the game).
5. All super skippers who enter immediately become "super skippers" at the +1 level. Like any good game player, you have to deploy your skippers in the most efficient manner possible. Do you husband them? Or do you use them to hold the flanks alone? The choice is yours.
6. Use the standard rules for making a skipper go from +1 to +2. (Exception below).
7. The lone exceptions is Kane, who begins at +2 (due to his being under Morton as XO and his 24 kills).
8. Veteran Crew Markers: If you have a skipper who naturally becomes a "super skipper" under the special rules, instead, give him a "VETERAN" crew marker.
9. This marker is a simulation of the crew's improved moral. A crew that just "becomes a super skipper" would naturally have more swagger. They would be the guy in gym class that was playing Johnny Wad the home game during 8th grade wrestling practice. Any crew this successful would naturally be tripping over their massive gonads after such a good performance. As a result, this crew is harder to kill. Improve their crash dive roll by +1, add +1 to their defensive rating, and subtract 1 from their Endurance Rolls. DO NOT add the standard "Super Skipper" numbers. That is only for super skippers.
10. Essentially what we are trying to do here is show that there are those skippers that any good admiral spots right away as automatically good. With all due respect, when you see Babe Ruth hit a baseball, or Bo Jackson run the football, you don't then wonder who the best athletes will be that day, as a coach. It's ibid. It's obvious right there in front of you that your best players should get the ball. This doesn't remove the captain that goes unnoticed and has success. He can still be successful. BUT,this makes it easy because you can take your super skippers out of the box, put them in the game and decide how to manage them.

(Anyone who wants to help me research the 23 skippers and when they started their patrols, thank you)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your idea, though not sure about Kane starting as a +2.

Sure, I'm on holidays, I'll pitch in for the 24 super skippers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I could find.

Griffith Nov 1943
Dornin Sep 1943
Triebel April 1943
Gross April 1943
Munson Jan 1942
Underwood July 1944
Whitaker Jan 1944
Dealey June 1943
Fluckey May 1944
Morton Jan 1943
Cutter Jan 1944
O'Kane Jan 1944
Grider Nov 1944
Barr April 1944
Sieglaff Dec 1942
Metcalf Nov 1943
Andrews Nov 1942
Coye July 1943
Garrison Feb 1944
Klakring Aug 1942
Bruton April 1942
Moore Sept 1943

Groenveld Dec 1941
Hezlet Oct 1943

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.