Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, already.

Its been pointed out repeatedly that "Its better to give than receive" and all of these thumb ratios and all that.

Right now, I have something like 5200 thumbs. This seems to go up about 20 per day.

I have given something like 70. This goes up like 1 a week. I have to point out that this total does NOT tally thumbes given to replies in posts yet.

Why am I so stingy?

Because if you tell a kid "That was the best picture you ever did" EVERY TIME, then they all are of the same level - mediocre. Soon, it means nothing.

I use thumbs to say "Hey, this is not just good, this is pretty freakin spot on awesome."

AND there's actually a really nifty side effect of giving thumbs. They serve as bookmarks. I can look at all of the things I thought were really well stated by reviewing a list of things I've thumbed. If I thumb 5000 things, its a useless mishmash of things.

I am no thumb slut. My thumbs do not come easy, and I value them.

Again, in replies to posts, I thumb quite regularly. Mostly because its faster than making a new post saying "Yeah, what he said".

So all of you who spend your thumbs like water, you may continue to do so. But I shall continue in my miserly ways, thumbng only that which is truly exceptional, and not just pretty good.

Oh, and stay off my lawn.

And

Arrrgh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, now I feel dumb. How do you see all the thumbs you have given?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My geek, contributions tab, "other ratings" box. You have to add 4 numbers up yourself and, unlike thumbs received, the figures do not include thumbs you have given for comments in threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Paul: I think it`s quite normal for somebody who gives more content to this site than many others, that he might get more thumbs than he gives to others, right?

Edited because crossed with Chris` clarification concerning the "other ratings"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
Hey, Paul: I think it`s quite normal for somebody who gives more content to this site than many others, that he might get more thumbs than he gives to others, right?

Stupidly, I never thought of it that way, but I suppose you're right.

It also reinforces the fact that I spend too much time here.

I guess a more accurate ratio becomes thumbs received per item posted and thumbs given per item read...

(Note to Aldie - no, that's NOT a suggestion, so you don't have to go into palpitations.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Barylski
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Oh, and stay off my lawn.

Any trees on that lawn of yours? Since you are the neighborhood thumb miser I think you need a tree toilet papered

Seriously, though. I agree with Paul on this - lots of content and I would expect you to receive many more thumbs than you give out. Me, I haven't added much value to the site, so I have given more thumbs than I've gotten.

The last thing I would add is that these are thumbs we are talking about. They have no real, tangible value whatsoever apart from BGG (and even on the site, what value do they really have?). So be a miser or a gatherer, have fun!

Just my 4 cents anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martybjsg wrote:
Just my 4 cents anyhow.

I feel oddly like someone will add another 2 pennies, almost like I have a 6th cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Because if you tell a kid "That was the best picture you ever did" EVERY TIME, then they all are of the same level - mediocre. Soon, it means nothing.

I use thumbs to say "Hey, this is not just good, this is pretty freakin spot on awesome."

And i use thumbs to say "That's much better than the average stuff."

For a few users, that could mean that i thumb 20% or even more of their images and geeklists. For others, they might gain no thumbs at all.

A positive side effect of the current 'mass thumbing' is that there are many more different images at the bottom of the front page than a few months ago. I think a picture needs 5 thumbs to get a chance to be displayed there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Barylski
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
martybjsg wrote:
Just my 4 cents anyhow.

I feel oddly like someone will add another 2 pennies, almost like I have a 6th cents.

Now the thumb miser sees dead people too... creepy, almost like scrooge or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
AND there's actually a really nifty side effect of giving thumbs. They serve as bookmarks. I can look at all of the things I thought were really well stated by reviewing a list of things I've thumbed. If I thumb 5000 things, its a useless mishmash of things.

Thanks for pointing that out. That's one of the things that I thought of when I was called a thumb miser last night.

I think the two of you need to start your own guild - sort of a Thumb Misers Support Group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
I think the two of you need to start your own guild - sort of a Thumb Misers Support Group.

I would thumb that idea, but that would result in a paradoxical cataclysm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

(Note to Aldie - no, that's NOT a suggestion, so you don't have to go into palpitations.)

Somehow, I doubt Aldie gets palpitations that easily...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Geosphere wrote:
Why am I so stingy?

Wait, so wouldn't that mean by your own logic, you've already became a mediocre contributor with your 5000+ thumbs, and any additional ones you receive would be meaningless?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalasta wrote:
Wait, so wouldn't that mean by your own logic, you've already became a mediocre contributor with your 5000+ thumbs, and any additional ones you receive would be meaningless?

Gee, and they were so chock full of meaning before...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thumb quite a bit of stuff. I thumb articles to mean just "this is worth reading." I thumb replies if they have some really new info to add to the thread.

I don't use thumb to mean "best on the site" because, AFAIK, that's not the intent...just a way to separate the two-line reviews from the ones that actually tell you about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsdown
Yeah, I'm pretty much a miser, too. I'm not so stiff as Paul, but there's not a whole lot of stuff that I see that really catches my eye. stuff I see and think, "others should see/read this," gets a thumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
We've also got the issue of: if I post something cool, I can get thumbs from 100 different users. If you post something cool, I can only thumb it once.

Followers of the eternal balance of the thumb would respond that for every really cool thing you post, there are 100 other really cool posts.

Personally, I use thumbs to denote things that make me laugh or I think are insightful or cool. If it's really amazing, then I tip it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
From Aldie's Wiki post, Boardgamegeek Rules:
Quote:
We encourage the use of liberal application of the thumbs up.

It seems the intention is for them to mean "good". Replies or tips say "freakin spot on awesome" much more loudly than thumbs do, especially since thumbs are also seem to be used to mean "agreed" or "that's funny".

While thumbs have an affirmation side effect (which is good for community-building), the direct consequence is promoting content. I don't see anything particularly wrong about so-called "stingy" thumbing -- it's merely infrequent participation in the editorial process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.