Jeff C
msg tools
The base rules on page 6 has descriptions of the houses. For example House Stark has:

House Stark “Winter is Coming”
A reclusive family with honorable traditions that has been reluctantly pulled into the game of thrones.

Does anybody have similar background descriptions for House Arryn “As High as Honor” and House Targaryen “Fire and Blood”?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Arryn

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Targaryen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
To condense down to a single sentence, if that’s what you’re after, and make it relevant to the time period (i.e just after the death of Robert Baratheon), maybe something like:

House Arryn: After the death of her husband Jon, Lysa Arryn sits atop the towering Eyrie surrounded by male suitors, each wishing to court her favour and join their houses to become Lord of the Eyrie.

(I haven’t seen the cards but I think this would explain a few of them, Vardis Egan etc.)

House Targaryen: Since being exiled to Essos 14 years previously, the Mother of Dragons Daenerys and her brother Viserys seek to rally support amongst the houses of Westeros and reclaim the throne their ancestors once created.

Targaryen is a little wonky, as Viserys is dead by the time Robert Baratheon is killed. But he’s there in the house cards, so it seems worth mentioning as he’s technically the heir. Also there’s no dragons then either, but hey ho.

Not entirely happy with the Arryn one as the rest try and explain why they’re fighting in ‘the game of thrones’ to some extent, but in the books Lysa wants nothing to do with it. She’s happy cooped up in her impregnable castle, but that doesn’t make for a very good board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben Dijkstra
Netherlands
flag msg tools
DaveSumm wrote:
She’s happy cooped up in her impregnable castle, but that doesn’t make for a very good board game.

The cards of Arryn can be describes as: makes her opponent hesitate a bit to attack them, and they have a powerful Garrison token.

I have posted a file with all the House card if you are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
msg tools
Thanks for the input.

For House Arryn, based on their Standard House cards being defensive and their Alternate House cards is are about gaining power, I decided to use the following (although not true to the books): While initially intending to just be defensive and hold their own, they recently have decided they should be the ones in power and have gone on the offensive.

For House Targaryen, I took text directly from the Mother of Dragons rulebook: Though the Targaryen dynasty was usurped, there are many in Westeros that wish for House Targaryen to reclaim the Iron Throne. These entities pledge false allegiance to their current overlords while they wait for the opportune moment to reveal their true loyalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.