Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Playing Dark City solo rules I can’t beat Moleman with my current three-hero lineup.
I’ve a hunch about which hero to swap out for but that feels a bit like cheating.
What do you do, what adjustment, do you make within a set-up that you just cannot seem to beat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will usually throw in Banshee, for his piercing energy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
A little hard to say since you never said what that lineup is.
You also didn't say what scheme it was.

So we can't know if there's possibly a strategy you can aim for.

Or if it might be an impossible scenario.

Overall? Assuming you tried it several times already?
Either pick up a new line up or move on.

Some scenarios could be impossible or at least require a lot of luck especially if the heroes do not mix at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I think that’s what I’m driving at...”impossible.”
I’ve played this set up enough to get that impression. But, I still want to beat it and am wondering what folks adjust to make the scenario slightly more possible on the continuum.
Maybe it’s an impossible question laugh
It’s just that I’ve created a theme and I want to see it through so what “would I accept as an intellectually satisfying adjustment?”

My thinking has always been that I could swap out a hero.
But maybe I could also remove some Master Strikes, or ... I dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gallo
msg tools
Any chance you could give us your setup? The mastermind is Mole Man, but what about your scheme, Villains, and Heroes lineup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
That’s Forge at the top.
I think you can make out the scheme test if you click on it (Weave a Web of Lies).

Edit: text, not test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gallo
msg tools
I'm still a fledgling when it comes to this stuff, so take it with a bit of salt. With your current lineup, Symbiote Spider-Man doesn't mesh all that well with Forge and Iron Man Noir. Neither have any 2 cost cards and Symbiote doesn't really have any class combos with them (since both lean heavily into tech).

So if you want to keep the lineup, you'd have to either heavily lean into Symbiote with a light peppering of the other Heroes' cards or skip over Symbiote when recruiting. The hidden third option is to switch out Symbiote with regular base set Spider-Man, who has a Tech common that saves Bystanders. Plus the Tech could help trigger the other Heroes' cards.

Not sure if that's any help or not. I wouldn't say it's impossible with your setup (though I don't know what Villains you have), but it does have a bit to work around due to no synergy with Symbiote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I don’t disagree with that assessment. Thanks so much.
MM is using the Subterrania Villains so, yes, he is diabolically effective against me!
I’ll try swapping out for base Spidey. Seems like a minimal and subtle change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I'd say the same. Focus on the two tech guys and you should be fine.
Moleman doesn't climb all that high really and worst case scenario, aim to grab Forge's rare if you can to have an auto win.

Iron Man Noir digs it from the deck faster anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Michael's tips should work quite well for you. I'm more than a little surprised that you lost multiple times to the Weave Lies Scheme, in particular since two of your Heroes should work wonders together, but any Scheme can become too much with an especially unfortunate arrangement in the Villain deck. For that matter, even the most incredible Heroes can fall flat if you miss out on key cards, like Black Widow without her Dangerous Rescue card.

For general advice against the Scheme or Mastermind, you can't really forget about the Bystander requirement to take on Mole Man. If Dark City Solo is the Solo mode where you can lose a Bystander to slow down the Villain deck, you probably won't be able to do that. And because of the Scheme, you should prioritize taking out Megataur over Giganto unless you already have more than enough Bystanders to handle the Scheme requirement.

For taking on Mole Man, you can always take him on fast unless the Bystander requirement is getting in your way. In that case you might be forgetting to pay the Recruit to gain a Bystander after hitting a bad guy.

If you want other ideas for Heroes, you could do worse than including the Base Set Wolverine. In games where Mole Man gets to let a good number of his minions escape, you'll have a high Attack Mole Man and a collection of wounds. Of course he can handle the wounds and while you won't be able to depend on getting his card drawing engine going, he should still enhance your Attack engine.

(Edit: Found some missing words and put them in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weave a Web of Lies can be deceptively difficult in advanced solo, it has a tight timer and if you’ve no way to get bystanders other than defeating Villains you are really dependent on the Villain deck throwing out Villains quicker than Twists. If Moleman’s Strikes are causing some of those Villains to escape before you bag them then you’ll be struggling even more. So with that setup you are going to be wanting to generate a lot of Attack very quickly, eg go for Iron Man Noir’s ranged common, or Forge’s Dirty Work can be good for taking out Villains if you can trigger it. Base Spider-Man would be a lot more helpful in this scenario, as that Iron Man Noir common lets you put a cheap card on top of your deck to be grabbed by a Spidey one, and having the extra way to rescue Bystanders is invaluable for this Scheme.

If you kept setup as is Dark Strength can be a good way to get Attack quickly. The two Iron Man Noir commons and Symbiote’s Wall-Crawl cards could all be useful for helping activate it. I kind of want to give it a shot now. Which Henchmen are you using? That’s important for Iron Man Noir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Using Sentinels for henchmen.
I’d love it if you have it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Well...I did it.

Got lucky in the early HQ draw and was able to get BFG Forge. He took out the Moleman all but one time.

I virtually recruited Forge exclusively. But of note, did also have Iron Man Noir “mechanized plate mail” in the 2x and that synchronized nicely with Forge.

I made one error. It may mean this is not a legitimate win. Namely, a Master Strike emptied the city of 5 villains and I forgot to take 5 wounds. That being said, I still had six cards left in the Villain Deck (so a decent amount of time) and a LOT of “investigate” and deck digging capacity. So...it feels like a victory.

And thus back to the intent of my original question. Upon reflecting through this thread I’d reword it to ask, “when do you determine that you’ve an impossible set up? And what the first adjustment you’d make in order to nudge it toward possible?”

The lesson here for me though is different. I’ve played this set up about a dozen times now and only just managed victory. So the lesson for me is to stick with it and not give up too soon, because there may yet be a way. And frankly, 12-1 ratio is in about a level of difficulty that I appreciate, or even expect from a good game.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in here. I’d still love to hear from you if you try this set up. Especially how you manage to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC Moleman’s Strike only gives you one Wound, no matter how many Villains escape, so legitimate win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I never realized that, Mike. I would have played it the same way our original poster intended to. That is a big difference, every bit as important as noting that official Dr. Doom and Mr. Sinister only use their Strikes on players with exactly six cards in hand.

Now for original poster's most recent question: I don't have a mulligan rule for games that are too tough or too easy. I'm probably the only poster here who has the time to play every Mastermind against almost every Scheme, so I do. That means I play even the games where a loss is almost guaranteed.

However, I do change a lot of Schemes and Masterminds (perhaps a third of each) if I think they're too difficult or easy. I give Onslaught an outright -2 Attack, for example, and I still only fight him with a Henchman that kills Heroes or a Hero who does that. He's still incredibly nasty (I have a roughly 20% likelihood of winning against him), but he's definitely less nasty than the real version. The Masterminds I weaken on the grounds of being overly powerful are only weakened a little (for example, the only change I made to Deathbird is that her Strikes have one less Attack and are worth four VP instead of five), but some Schemes are weakened. I try to make the Schemes have a 40% to 60% win likelihood, and many are nowhere near that. There are even a couple Schemes that I simply refuse to play, and while only one is because it's just too hard, that's one more than most people here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
On the off chance that someone was interested in what I do to Schemes and Masterminds, it's in the thread 'Game Records and Adjusting Difficulty' or a similar title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.