12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Gift Recommendation For My Son rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Katie O
msg tools
Hello!

My son has gotten into board games over the past six months or so and I’d like to buy him one (or two maybe, if one is on the lower priced side!) for Christmas. I’ve asked some questions and checked out his collection, but I want the particular game(s) to be a total surprise, which is why I’m asking for your help in providing some recommendations.

He plays primarily with his girlfriend, so it would have to support and play well with two players, but they sometimes play with other friends. They started out playing Dominion and own some expansions, but they play that primarily online now. They then got games like Ticket to Ride with the USA 1910 expansion, Carcassonne, and Splendor, but he says they don’t play those quite as often anymore. He says they’ve been moving in the direction of heavier games — two of their favorites to play are Terraforming Mars and Arkham Horror: The Card Game, and they most recently bought Race for the Galaxy and love it.

Here are the rest of the games in his collection:

Pandemic
Shards of Infinity
Ascension: Apprentice Edition
Hero Realms
Star Realms
7 Wonders Duel
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Friday
Love Letter
Jaipur
Hanamikoji

Thanks so much in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7
The Voyages of Marco Polo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Calitri
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pandemic fall of rome
Escspe the dark castle
The list expedition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 will do the job for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Mechs vs. Minions. It has great production value, great table presence and great game play with easy to learn rules. It also plays coop so any challenges in playing a programming game can be dealt with less stress (unlike Robo Rally, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie O
msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie O
msg tools
Thanks, I'll be hitting the game store and checking out all the recommendations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep
Stone Age
Suburbia
Gold West
Battle Line
Isle of Skye
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie O
msg tools
Thanks all for the help, and Happy Holidays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
I'd suggest Mechs vs. Minions. It has great production value, great table presence and great game play with easy to learn rules. It also plays coop so any challenges in playing a programming game can be dealt with less stress (unlike Robo Rally, for example).

Also a great option if he was ever into League of Legends and a fun “programming game!”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Scott
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War Chest is great two player. Stronghold 2
Spirit Island
War of the Ring
Star Wars Rebellion
Memoior 44
Onitama
Santorini
Gizmos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeGrimlockKing wrote:
Esvath wrote:

Also a great option if he was ever into League of Legends and a fun “programming game!”

Isn't this only available through Riot? Probably impossible to get by xmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.