Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I've never played any Warhammer Quest games. How is the replayability of these types of games? Is it play through once and done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
These threads should help.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/30577051#30577051
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/30581334#30581334
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems its just a bunch of random dungeon setups stringed together and thats it. So depending on what you are looking for in a game, that will add a good amount of replayability.

No story or campaign to tie everything together. Which is fine in some aspects because sometimes you want a nice quick/clean game to play.

People keep posting "oh its GW, of course there will be more content for many years to come".

And all i can think is how many successful boardgames GW QUICKLY abandoned and never followed through with additional content. So no idea where they get that assumption from.

Im going to wait and see if GW actually comes through with their promise. Best we can hope for is some extra minis and maybe one new campaign box with a new mechanic. If they add anything past that, ill be amazed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grove123 wrote:

And all i can think is how many successful boardgames GW QUICKLY abandoned and never followed through with additional content. So no idea where they get that assumption from.

It's not an assumption. They've already given us a new mission and a new card in White Dwarf, they've created a dedicated space for the game on the website, they've said multiple times on the community pages that more content is coming and the game will be supported, and the rules book for the game openly says there are planned expansions coming out.

Plus they've proved support for other boxed games with Underworlds, Kill Team, Necromunda, and Blood Bowl in the last two years.

Obviously we won't know until next year, but I think there's more reason to assume there will be support than not.

Also not sure where you get the idea the game doesn't have a story or campaign. The whole game is a single campaign with one specific goal and persisting characters, and comes with a completely separate book of lore and background to delve into the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"Seems its just a bunch of random dungeon setups stringed together and thats it."

This describes 99% of dungeon crawlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
It's not an assumption. They've already given us a new mission and a new card in White Dwarf, they've created a dedicated space for the game on the website, they've said multiple times on the community pages that more content is coming and the game will be supported, and the rules book for the game openly says there are planned expansions coming out.
The card and mission is little more than a marketing push before xmas.

Running a side mission and getting some specific loot will add one, or few if you like repeats, sessions... but it will not expand the game.

So far it does look like it can handle quite a few plays. But it does not appear to have the replayability as some of the other smaller games such as Blood Bowl.
What keeps GW games alive for a long time is an active local community with tournament/league play. That sort of activities suck new players in and make players want to expand/switch their armies/teams = more sales. More sales = continuous reason to keep releasing stuff for the game.

Blackstone Fortress is a different game. It does not lend itself to tournament/league play, and as such will not "self-activate" continuously over a season. In addition the box is not a "cheap first fix" that leads to a long lasting and expensive addiction. You play the game with what is in the box. Even if they did expansions it would just be "buy a few boxes" and not the "buy hundreds of models" that the GW army business model is built on.

From a business perspective it makes sense to state "long term support" for a new game, especially since people ask because they are concerned that it will be a one-off and would not buy it if it is. But I do not see how it can continue unless GW sees it as a gateway game (and that it drives players to explore into the rest of the franchise).

Compared to Kill Team BSF far from the same. When you build a kill team, you are part in bed with the faction towards 40k. Soon you will be buying a commander, and while in the shop start looking at the cooler units that are not available in kill team. Before you know it you bought a transport "because it would be a nice thematic addition to your kill team even if it does not do anything". From there it is down the rabbit hole and years later you have a cabinet full of 10k+ points...

But as to BSF replayability, I am afraid that the time it takes to play the campaign through means that you will likely only do it once. That said, you are looking at a minimum of 6 explorations. So if you call that replayability, then absolutely.
I do not see it getting the same "once/week for years" replayability as 40k or something like Blood Bowl has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only posted in the forums yesterday more official confirmation that GW are releasing new expansions and miniatures for the game in 2019.

Silver Tower expanded In such a way you could buy hundreds of models. By the end you had rules for almost every plastic hero and almost every chaos unit (including skaven). I bought many miniatures I wouldn’t normally buy for that game. Blackstone has the same expandability in terms of driving miniatures sales, but GW have also committed to proper expansions as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
I only posted in the forums yesterday more official confirmation that GW are releasing new expansions and miniatures for the game in 2019.

Silver Tower expanded In such a way you could buy hundreds of models. By the end you had rules for almost every plastic hero and almost every chaos unit (including skaven). I bought many miniatures I wouldn’t normally buy for that game. Blackstone has the same expandability in terms of driving miniatures sales, but GW have also committed to proper expansions as well.
Agreed, the potential is almost unlimited.

Given that the Blackstone Fortress existed since the dawn of the empire it is also likely that it existed way before the beginning of the first millennia. Flying around space and raiding various worlds. Which would even allow all the fantasy-setting models to get played.

The question is: How many times can the same quest be run?
To unlock the replayability they need to constantly create new quests to play, with new twists. Personally I would love to see expansions with more tiles, so that the pool of options get bigger and bigger. The more "hardware" we get, the more content is there to work with for the community to create adventures - should GW decide to abandon it.

However, it still does not compare to the other games from GW that are mainly driven by local community tournament/league play.
It is like comparing MtG to a Marvel Legendary Heroes type of game. MtG (and 40k/Kill Team) depend on a local scene with enough players and action to keep the game interesting. BSF is more a type of game that depends on a stable group of players that get together and play regularly - to keep them interested there has to be new adventures AND it has to stand up to competition. I believe many gaming groups would switch to the next campaign/legacy co-op when finally finishing the 6-12 explorations of BSF. Perhaps they would switch back and play another quest if one is released, but I doubt they would restart and try another one with all the other games out there that has to be played (except maybe if they played a long session often).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the proof is in the pudding:

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/3600

"That’s right – the Ambull is back, and it’s angrier than ever! This model brings a classic from Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader to life in stunning detail, finally giving this terrifying beast a miniature worthy of its reputation. The Dreaded Ambul is the first in a series of expansions for Blackstone Fortress, allowing you to add this xenos monster to your games, whether you’re hunting for its lair or simply adding it to the possible Hostiles that can turn up in any given encounter. More than just a new adversary, this is a fully-fledged side-quest to add to your games."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.