Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » Rules

Subject: Need help figuring out some rule disputes. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Campos
Costa Rica
Florida
flag msg tools
So I played for the first time yesterday and for the most part the rules were pretty clear although we had some issues:

-Is summoning an action or a phase? Can you trigger summon effects on a recruit mandate if you don't place any units in the board?

-Do you have to show your coins only at the beginning of the war phase or before each battle province?

-If no one bids on a battle (seppuku for example) is it ignored or does the higher honor person wins it despite not biding a single coin?

-Can a shinto move to a shrine from a province turns after it had been summoned?

-Can the shinto monster be betrayed and replaced with a shinto or only with a monster?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Reichmann
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ShapingSickness wrote:
So I played for the first time yesterday and for the most part the rules were pretty clear although we had some issues:

-Is summoning an action or a phase? Can you trigger summon effects on a recruit mandate if you don't place any units in the board?

-Do you have to show your coins only at the beginning of the war phase or before each battle province?

-If no one bids on a battle (seppuku for example) is it ignored or does the higher honor person wins it despite not biding a single coin?

-Can a shinto move to a shrine from a province turns after it had been summoned?

-Can the shinto monster be betrayed and replaced with a shinto or only with a monster?

Thanks!


I am not sure what you mean by "an action or a phase".

You only show your coins at the start of the War Phase. Once battles begin, you may gain or lose coins as battle results are determined.

If no one bids on a battle it is ignored and you move to the next one.

A shinto can not move to a shrine from a province. It can only move to a shrine when it is recruited.

Betrayals are a one-for-one replacement. A monster can replace a monster (even if it can act as a shinto it is still a monster).

I believe these answers to be correct. I am sure if they are not, or if there is more to add, someone will. Enjoy the game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You must display your coins and ronin before every battle and have to answer truthfully if asked.

Page 22 rulebook under Resolving Battles
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Campos
Costa Rica
Florida
flag msg tools
dreichmann wrote:
ShapingSickness wrote:
So I played for the first time yesterday and for the most part the rules were pretty clear although we had some issues:

-Is summoning an action or a phase? Can you trigger summon effects on a recruit mandate if you don't place any units in the board?

-Do you have to show your coins only at the beginning of the war phase or before each battle province?

-If no one bids on a battle (seppuku for example) is it ignored or does the higher honor person wins it despite not biding a single coin?

-Can a shinto move to a shrine from a province turns after it had been summoned?

-Can the shinto monster be betrayed and replaced with a shinto or only with a monster?

Thanks!


I am not sure what you mean by "an action or a phase".
By phase I mean no matter how many figures you place they all count as a single summon. By action I mean placing a single figure into the board, so for example if you own 2 forts in a single recruit you can place 2 figures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brooke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summon happens as part of Recruit and when you Recruit a monster, and with Raijin., All of which is only if you actually summoned a figure to the board.
Summon doesn't happen with Betray. the figure in effect, changes allegiance.

Coins, Ronin and Season cards, war province tokens are public info - the only time you will have to be secretive is in bidding during war phase.

Bidding 0 is not a bid., each of the War Advantages are opt-in.

Shinto can not go to a Shrine after they are already on the board.

Betray is 'Like for like'.. Komainu can used to betray Monsters and Shinto because it is both. and a Shinto can be used to betray Komainu because it is also a Shinto

https://cmon-files.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/assets_item/resource...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShapingSickness wrote:
By phase I mean no matter how many figures you place they all count as a single summon. By action I mean placing a single figure into the board, so for example if you own 2 forts in a single recruit you can place 2 figures.


From the FAQ:

No matter how many different figures you Summon onto the board in
one instance (during a Recruit Mandate, for example), it is considered a single
Summon for triggering abilities.

Hmm, not sure about triggering effects if you don't place any units on the board. My gut says no. Can you give an example of the card effect you were thinking of?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Campos
Costa Rica
Florida
flag msg tools
esswhy wrote:
ShapingSickness wrote:
By phase I mean no matter how many figures you place they all count as a single summon. By action I mean placing a single figure into the board, so for example if you own 2 forts in a single recruit you can place 2 figures.


From the FAQ:

No matter how many different figures you Summon onto the board in
one instance (during a Recruit Mandate, for example), it is considered a single
Summon for triggering abilities.

Hmm, not sure about triggering effects if you don't place any units on the board. My gut says no. Can you give an example of the card effect you were thinking of?
So my friends say that because the rule book says "no matter how many" then that can also mean zero figures summoned.

The effect is for a card that kills a Bushi after you Summon. Can't remember the name of the card, but the situation was that the player had no more figures to summon but still killed an enemy Bushi with the summon trigger.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, that would probably require an official ruling, but I personally would play it that you have to actually summon at least 1 figure to get the ability
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brooke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't or haven't summoned any figures, then you haven't done the action, and so not eligible for the bonus..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Campos
Costa Rica
Florida
flag msg tools
Zexlaram wrote:
If you can't or haven't summoned any figures, then you haven't done the action, and so not eligible for the bonus..
I thought so, but even in this thread there's split opinions

One question I forgot to add: what's a virtue?

Some cards give you benefits for the amount of virtues you have, we played it so that each province token counts as a virtue, but now I see that some cards are blue and say they are virtue type, so I'm confused.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hodgson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShapingSickness wrote:
Zexlaram wrote:
If you can't or haven't summoned any figures, then you haven't done the action, and so not eligible for the bonus..
I thought so, but even in this thread there's split opinions

One question I forgot to add: what's a virtue?

Some cards give you benefits for the amount of virtues you have, we played it so that each province token counts as a virtue, but now I see that some cards are blue and say they are virtue type, so I'm confused.

Dark blue season cards with 'virtue' printed on their sides are virtues. Province tokens are not virtues but kudos for creativity!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.