Vincent Verhoeven
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
Hi all,

I have noticed my game has been the laughing stock lately online.
Very useful though. The game and science behind the game is solid, according to game fair demos like SPIEL 2018. Many people demoing the game on fairs even fund us without hesitation.

Of course on BGG we have those player playing top games with top graphics etc. We have limited resources though. At the Public Observatory of the University in Ghent they have faith in my idea, because the game and science is solid. But as all of them are no boardgamers, but scientists ;-), they understand the pragmatic feel of the game.

Now, many people are really interested in the game, but don't like the graphics. So, what can we still do?

An overview of impressions:

vynshade wrote:
Tynes wrote:
BDSb wrote:
VixenTorGames wrote:
FOUND ONE!

link removed

It's like they said, 'people like to see pictures, so let's show them ALL THE THINGS!'

I'm kind of intrigued, but it looks like their graphic artist was an old copy of Microsoft Clip Art.

The game seems to be much better than the graphic design seem to imply

In all seriousness, they need to cancel the campaign and hire somebody outside their circle of friends to handle the component layout, design and art.

Hi,

It is interesting to find our game to be the laughing stock here. And true our artwork and miniatures are not to drool about. You won't get smacked by 1,000 miniatures, but pictures and drawings apparently ;-). Luckily our science isn't been laughed about, because that is what we are good at.

We are thankful we could catch this and reflect on the animal drawings. During demos at game fairs like Essen 2018, we didn't get any complains about the drawings, because the might be too caught up with the game.

I do realise on Kickstarter page might have to tackle this issue. It was horrible for me to make the KS page by the way...

We are not a publishing company, but an observatory were I have to work in a certain context. Luckily, our crowdfunding will not only come from boardgame society. We do realise we don't tend to be the next Azul, Scyth or Terraforming Mars. Although the latter would be nice.

Nevertheless good to know some were interested enough to read that we omitted Uranus and Neptune, and hopefully also why.

This is our first attempt to a Kickstarter boardgame, so receiving some punches is to be expected. At least we know the science is right and people talk about it, so we can pick up any information. Even yours is very useful!

Happy holidays to y'all!
Vincent

I did post the following in the FAQ, since I do want to resolve the issue. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks a lot.

Vincent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazer de Vos
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you all are a laughing stock based on the graphic design, but I do think it is by far the weakest part of the campaign. (And visual appeal has a pretty big impact on the Kickstarter market).

Have a look at Genius Games. They're your closest comparable probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fyi, Remove the ks links or your thread will be deleted as free advertising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Verhoeven
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
Ok thx 4 info. I also removed it from the quote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kavanaugh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have not seen the KS campaign, but if you have a following based on gameplay - have you considered running a mini-campaign on Indiegogo to raise money for better artwork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Verhoeven
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
AzureHorizon wrote:
I have not seen the KS campaign, but if you have a following based on gameplay - have you considered running a mini-campaign on Indiegogo to raise money for better artwork?

The other is finding a good and available illustrator that fits the job for astronomy and historical spaceflight.

But, good thinking. If the KS would fail for LunaTix, I might consider this.

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will go out on a limb and say that though your game artwork is truly awful, the $2500+ in income from backers is nothing to sneeze at (provided you were going for that amount). Many people are seeing through the problem to a really nice game. What I would suggest is that you contact your 37 backers, and ask them to maintain their loyalties, then shut down for a month and get an artist who will work with you. (I regularly work with an exceptional artist who hammers out my game artwork within a few days, so a month is quite reasonable.) And, if almost everyone is willing to give you $79 for the game, you have some idea what sort of money you have to offer a qualified artist. If the artwork is as good as the gameplay, you'll easily triple the backers. Many KS backers will back things just because it's a new game. (Doubters, go check how many people are running GeekBay auctions to sell "Kickstarters I played once." It's truly staggering.) From here, though, I would say, if this is your first game, you have a good basis to build up. If these people who are backing you are really that interested in your game, you must be doing something right.

On closer inspection, the artwork itself isn't even that bad. But whoever chose Jokerman font should be smacked upside the head. That alone will lose you $10,000 in backers; it's super tacky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.