Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Ideas for white Space on Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Engh
msg tools
I'm currently making an LCG type game that has 12 different decks you could play as for a total of 265 unique cards. I was planning to do what most LCG/CCG/TCG games do and put a picture on each one of those cards. That much artwork is very expensive so I'm looking for a good alternative to place in that white space.

I've given a link to what one of the cards looks like below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LU49tvQTtW08OGNn_82UiKo2JdK...[/IMG]

Any ideas would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put your print on the white space so you have acceptable contrast with your text. Seriously, I had to zoom in to read the card, and even then it was a chore.

The linked design wouldn't past 508 compliance tests.

Black print on Brown Background is not recommended.

The title needs to pop (I had to hunt for it).

- - - -

That out of the way - artwork is used to convey the concept of the card quickly once the text is learned.

There really is no substitute
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Engh
msg tools
Well it's much closer to red not brown. Is your computer okay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ark royal
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether it is brown or red makes no difference the text it is very difficult to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer is correct on both his general points:

1) The contrast between your text and its background is too low, making it hard to read
2) Unique images on cards allow people familiar with the cards to recognize them quickly; any substitute will lose this advantage

If you want to try to go without pictures, the next-most recognizable card element is the title, so I would make that as large as you can get away with (don't be afraid to use 2 lines for multi-word titles). Also take pains to ensure that non-identical cards always have non-identical titles, and avoid titles that are easy to misread as each other.

You can also use a small number of unique images to indicate the card's general category, as in e.g. Age of Rivals. These could even be more like icons than traditional card illustrations.

It can also be helpful to convert some of your card effects into icons where practical; then players can recognize cards (partly) by groups of icons. For instance, in 7 Wonders, I recognize cards mostly by their effect icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not make the entire area where the text sits white, and make the background of where you'll put that image red/brown? I would also use a different, thicker font to make it easier to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
audiolight wrote:
Well it's much closer to red not brown. Is your computer okay?

I sampled the hashmarks in the background and got this color:

https://convertingcolors.com/rgb-color-146_43_33.html

I sampled the background of your text and got this color:

https://convertingcolors.com/rgb-color-107_31_24.html

The typical 'brown' is rgb(165,42,42)

https://convertingcolors.com/rgb-color-165_42_42.html

You have LESS red than the typical brown.

I conclude that there is nothing wrong with my computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I conclude that there is nothing wrong with my computer.

The important lesson for graphic designers here is that ordinary TFT screens are not color safe. They all show color differently compared to each other and more importantly they show color differently than it appears when printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all pictures are paintings. For playtesting and maybe further you could use shape primitives with icon details. An example would be a sphere on a box is a base human, add a shield to indicate a knight, put a star on it to represent it's a general.

You could also get a 3d rendering packaging with posable figures; used to be Dazzle and Poser, not sure if they are around. Or even Blender, but the ramp up could be heavy.

You could search free art sources for old wood carvings or illustrations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try playing around with icons and colours. I play Star Realms on my smartphone. I can't make out any of the details on the artwork, but the cards are still recognisably unique by their image - placement of colour and shapes.

Making 265 unique meaningful images may be a challenge, but it'd be worth a go. Attacking cards could have icons or colours in common for example.

As others have said, the contrast between background and text needs to improve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.